Hobby mihai.s

Starting from this post about terrain, generating 3D terrain from 2D dashed contour lines using Fredo TopoShaper extension

6 Likes

Thanks Mihas.s

I didn’t know about the ability to set a automatic vertical offset for each contour line.

Thanks for your interest, Cassidy (@StudioSKP)!

Yes, would be very useful!

Every time.
First of all, I hope it will be more than just a simple ‘‘4 view window’’.

• It will allow dividing into as many windows as you need and how you want (vertical, horizontal, mix);
  • A current tray can be set for each of these windows (Entity Info, Materials, Components, Styles, Tags, Scenes, Outliner, etc…) > see example - 2nd image;
  • Ability to create and save such a template and easily switch between them (top middle tabs);
  • Grouping extensions in a sidebar (or top, bottom), each in its own tab (depending on each creator maybe);
  • Pie Menu depending on the context - draw, edit, etc… (see this discussion with Gopal);
  • improved shortcuts system;
  • Dark Theme.

example (Blender like interface)

And all of this, of course, with Modus Trimble.

4 Likes

Starting from this post about cutting a hole in a wall
using Curic Dio 2 > Trovel tool, without having to manually open the groups for editing, in SketchUp (desktop).

Starting from this post about cut-separate object.
Separating a 3D model by cutting with a plane using TIG: Cut to Plane (Pro) extension

1 Like

Learning from tutorials - Cinema 4D _ Product modeling and rendering
using Vertex Tools, SUbD, QuadFace Tools, Bevel (MSS) for ‘‘quad & subdiv’’ + V-Ray in SketchUp

HDRI from Polyhaven

6 Likes

Learning from tutorials - Cinema 4D _ Product modeling, UV unwrapping, texturing

• using Vertex Tools, SUbD, QuadFace Tools, Bevel (MSS) for ‘‘quad & subdiv’’ + V-Ray in SketchUp

• UV Unwrapping and Texturing in Blender

4 Likes

Starting from this post about 3D Basecamp and testing SketchUp Diffusion extension

//edit
v3

v2

Thanks for the idea, Eric!
3 Likes

Starting from this post about Merging terrain and showing this method to solve

Merging survey terrain with Geo-Location terrain in SketchUp desktop

The extensions used are in the description of the video on YouTube.

4 Likes

Wow! this is awesome to see! im going to play it many times in slow motion to see if I can fully grasp all that you have shown here. im am full of gratitude. I imagine I’ll have a question or two but I will study this first . :star_struck: YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!

1 Like

Wow! Staggering amount of tedious work with more plugins than I can count. It is a problem that comes up on almost any project when you have downloaded terrain and a survey from a surveyor though.

1 Like

Thanks!

For the method I showed, only one plugin is needed+ - mc AlignEnds, and the native tools (Line, Move, Scale, Wireframe style).
+ If it is desired without any plugin, then AE can be replaced with the Move tool, and move each vertex on Z until the intersection with the terrain.

It is interesting and pleasant to work on landscape projects. :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you know what methods professionals in the field apply in this case? Do they have a faster, simpler, more efficient way of working this?

Thank you, mr Coolidge!

2 Likes

@mihai.s
my first question… What are the attributes to the architectural design style that made you choose this for this application?

at any point when you were moving the made terrain did you move individual road line with out moving the terrain? the view was zoomed in and it seemed like maybe you had done that. if so there must have been a keyboard shortcut?

Around 2:21 im getting different results than you. im wondering if you used a keyboard shortcut that is doing that… I selected the road geometry and exploded the group to start doing the fill in triangles just as you did. everything was going well until I started erasing the lines which some did fine and the remaining erased the faces made by the line work :confused: I am wondering if this has to do with the style change or what ever you did at 2:13. I assumed it was a style change and went to what is labeled for me as “default style”.
other than that I am following you so far… although it seemed like you were able to get the terrains closer together and that I have a slightly larger gap.
thank you again for your demo walkthrough. looking forward to understanding all that you have shared.

I knew that I would work in Monochrome and I chose ADS to have a visible (gray) background. But if you prefer the white background, keep working with that.

I moved/rotate the terrain plus the road, they were grouped together.

At 2:21 - I double-clicked to edit the group and add those edges and faces to the initial surface. You don’t have to explode the group for this or for editing it in general. I didn’t erase the lines, I just changed their property from solid to smooth and soft, with Ctrl + Eraser tool.

gotcha! back on track but getting a new hick up.
questions before hick up. is it possible to use the vertex tool to seam up/heal the edges between the made terrain and the geo map?
I followed you past that and am getting a hiccup.

I have moved the past in place terrain up to its own work space. when I select the new plane, deselect the face and go to the entity tab the visibility icon is already toggled on and if I toggle it off the entity window says there is no selection. moving on with smooth and soft selected and the visibility toggled on as I found it >>> I continue on to to follow your work into quad face tools , I wasn’t sure what you were up to with the first two buttons>> What is the looping feature doing? but when I got to converting to quads the attached screen shot is what happened.

Cut out a 2D shape through multiple objects (groups) with Curic Face Knife plugin

1 Like

OMG this is by far the most intersting topic in this forum! :open_mouth:
I really appreciate what you are showing here and how open minded is your approach, mixing tons of different plugins and even external software like Blender, with an uncommon attention for topology and good modeling practices, including some shading and retopology tricks.
You push in multiple ways the “so called” limits of what Sketchup can do and I can’t praise you enough for this. :love_you_gesture:

Some additional ideas inspired by your workflow for Sketchup retopology tricks

If you mind, I’d liked to share with you some further trick to do some basic retopology straight in Sketchup when you can’t use the other clever tricks you already showed.
I also use a lot those techniques of dropping vertices to the target mesh from quad grids and also extracting edges to build new patches of quads trough lofts and stuff.
But here’s another Sketchupesque retopology technique I use when all of that is not enough, because the original mesh has too much directions to drop quad grids and doesn’t have decent edges to extract from.
I hope it can be useful to mix into your current workflow, I believe it could fit well.
(I’ve also included a rough overview of another standalone retopology app which can play nice in combination with Sketchup and QFT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsF5oTh0A2E

EDIT
Why someone flagged this as “off topic”?
I see the OP is interest into this kind of clever quad modeling techniques

Hobby mihai.s - #182 by mihai.s

and I was happy to share with him some useful trick on the very same subject.
Is this place meant to talk about Sketchup or what? :thinking:

Edit 2
Thanks to @dezmo I discovered this wonderful forum feature to “collapse text” so that is maybe less “distractive” for anyone which is not interested in it :wink:

1 Like

@Panixia, after reading posts on this feed going back to November, It looks as though you are simply contributing to the conversation with some good suggestions. Surely, someone must have flagged your post as off topic by mistake.

1 Like

Ah, I just read the edited comments (deleted)… the forum must have changed in the last few years as I don’t recall people participating on a member’s gallery page as post-jacking, even if relevant or related. Though I can’t imagine that he’d disapprove of having some suggestions offered in participation, @mihai.s work here is wonderful to see and inspiring. Keep up the good work @mihai.s!

1 Like

Thanks!

I had the opportunity over time to learn a lot of things from other people/threads in the Forum and, of course, from YouTube.

Using 'Fredo Tools on Surface ’ extension in combination with QuadFace Tools is useful for retopology, a good method, especially when you start learning about quads and retopo in SketchUp.

Regarding the other retopology program in your video, it seems ok, but for me, I chose to learn to work in Blender with Speedretopo and RetopoFlow.Then UV unwrapping an UV mapping for sending back to SketchUp a nice low-mid poly 3D model, with clean topology, as a SketchUp and LayOut ready component.

Today, by chance, I learned about a new method of testing a workflow for speeding up the retopology process for film productions.

Thank you all for your care and kind words!

2 Likes