Hobby mihai.s

I’ve moved here my two videos about how you can extract only a certain area from a larger project (and which may not be well structured), for those interested.

• With MeshClipper from V-Ray if you just want to render an area from a project

3 Likes

Yeah I saw some videos of people complaining about TOS creating messy geometry, which of course is true if you just try to actually build geometry out of it as it is, but there are tons of “alternative” ways to use it in order to build some clever guidelines and then drive the actual final geometry separately. Also, the QFT wireframe functionality is the most overlooked feature in the tool, even the documentation itself doesn’t clarify that it doesn’t need a stricltly-quad wireframe, but works with any pseudo-quad intersecting structure, I discovered it by mistake and I was like “OMG how can I’ve missed that!” :exploding_head:

As I said, I know that Blender with Retopoflow can do 90% of that functionality and same applies to other packages, like Maya with Quadraw or 3dsMax with FreeformModeling tools (which is the one I actually used before Topogun).
Once you know the general concepts of quad and topology they all work more or less the same and it’s mostly a matter of personal preferences.
What really made me switch to TG is that insanely useful patch tool, I didn’t find an equivalent tool in any of the “competitors” and can speed up the work on complex models a lot.

This looks insanely intersting. I’ll definetely have a deep look at it as soon as I have enough time to properly dig into it and other links that article point to.
I really enjoy this kind of in depth articles rather than basic tutorials in which some random guy just say “do this and that”.
Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

For me, Offset Loop from QFT, which I use much more often.

Easy Patch addon resembles.

Each type of tutorial has its importance at a certain point in time, even the simplest of them. Regarding this new, more complex one, it is worth watching how its development evolves.

2 Likes

I use on daily basis (and love) basically all of the functionality in QFT, but this one was the last one I’ve found an use for.
Honestly the only tool I still didn’t find an use for is the “Blender quads”… not sure if that’s still relevant, I believe it was meant to work with older version of Blender, I think that the current QFT obj importer handles Blender quads in a proper way without further conversions.

Didn’t know about that… probably because apparently they relased it just 19 days ago :sweat_smile:
Well, it doesn’t just “resemble”, it’s almost a clone the main differences I see from their page is that currently doesn’t support a patch formed by 2 splines, it needs at least 3 of them.
But all in all is quite the same, if I was a blender user, I’d buyed it, looks well worth the money.

Lotcă - Romanian wooden boat
A lotca is a strong wooden sea or river craft, traditionally of wood (more recently of other materials), built and used specifically at the Mouths of the Danube and on the West coast of the Black Sea (wikipedia).

• Dimensions: 700 x 140 cm

Features:

• boat parts - separate meshes - named, grouped & layered;
  • the model is built to real-world scale, units: cm;
  • fully unwrapped UVs;
  • clean and optimized quads topology;
  • PBR materials (2K textures - Diff, Norm, Metal, Rough, Disp) from Ambient CG (CC0);
  • the geometry is mid-poly;

• SketchUp and LayOut ready - low poly model

SketchUp & Blender

8 Likes

Starting from this post about LayOut

Boolean like operation for LayOut objects

2 Likes

I tried sort of the same thing, but it never reached your result. :+1:

Starting from this post about Polyline Segmentor and using Fredo Bezier Spline extension

Dividing 2 edges + an arc into a number of equally sized segments

Starting from this YT tutorial - 3D Site Modeling in @SketchUp : Part 3 - The Excavated Site Model, which is probably created for beginners and shows them step by step how they can use the various SketchUp native tools. For that method, there are at least two points where you can work better to avoid some slips that also appear in the video:

• at min 8:22, you can just hide the geometry (soften), select the whole surface with one click (not the edges) and delete it. There is no need to erase each edge, one by one, and then look for what you missed;
  • at minute 9:45, with a triple click on one of the edges you want to delete, it will select all those that have a common point and delete them with a single key press (Del), even if it is on one a face, as long as they do not touch its borders.

This is a simplified and improved method of the version in that video, using Solid Tools > Split, for automatically obtaining the volume of the excavated terrain.

2 Likes

Screen Recording 2024-02-16 at 09.21.55

I made my own tutorial :slight_smile: The one where I do the same thing with two lines and an exploded arc and nothing happens cause the extension does not work. (On a Mac)

The Bezier Spline extension just doesn’t work for you, for an as yet unknown reason.

The previous video was in SketchUp Make 2017, and this one is in SketchUp Pro 2022, and the extension works normally. Windows 10.

Maybe this window is outside your screen
img-03

If you somehow have FredoSpline you can try use it, and maybe will work for you.

thanks. I bought Fredospline, and now all is good. Bezierspline is old, and I guess Fredo will not keep the free versions up and running forever.

Starting from a post about a chair, a quick sketch with quads - Vertex Tools, QuadFace Tools and SUbD

SketchUp & LayOut ready (500 kb), Render Ready

1 Like