Eric's Gallery of Random Musings

From time to time I like to share some renderings, tricks, questions, ideas, and workflows. I figured it’s time to keep them all in one thread vs starting new topics for each…like @liamk887 does with his awesome robots and spaceships :wink:

So today’s post is a test run using Adobe Fuse to make a custom character to render in my SketchUp model. Exported model and material UVs to .OBJ. Used Skimp to import into SketchUp. Rendered with VRAY NEXT. Background color/environment is just ‘Volumetric Environment’ set to 4m visibility and a dark purple color. 4 sphere lights added: one green/blue above Zombie, one orange below, and two red for eyes.

3 Likes

Have you imported from CAD?

3 Likes

Ha…no, unfortunately CAD ignores ‘zombies’.

1 Like

Quick update. Fuse doesn’t seem to let me pose the characters but you can in Photoshop. Bit of a clunky process but I’ve just dressed and posed my Zommbie, exported out of Photoshop to .OBJ again. This time, since Photoshop lost the connection between the mesh and the UV materials, used Transmutr to re-link. Then back into SketchUp for render as before.

Posing in Photoshop:

Re-linking textures in Transmutr:

Re-render in SketchUp:

3 Likes

Have you tried exporting from Fuse to Mixamo, then export it as a Maya fbx? works well for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it and report back!

1 Like

Here is the same SketchUp model imported into Dimension. I like Dimension as it lets you use and 2D image as an HDRI light source and matches background camera perspective automatically as well.

2 Likes

Hey @Solo - Fuse to Mixamo to SketchUp worked fine but I couldn’t find the option to pose. Did I miss something? It has rigging options but that’s for animation which as you know SketchUp doesn’t support.

1 Like

I use iClone 3D Xchange, however I just tested with Simlab Composer and it works too.

1 Like

hmmm. Well that adds an extra step like going through Photoshop. But good to know as option.

1 Like

Yeah, many steps, but if you want to create pose and use characters and find Daz limiting this is one option I guess

1. Create in Fuse

2. Pose in Mixamo, find an animation, pause at a position you like.

3. Export as fbx and open in iClone

1. Finally export to Sketchup
5 Likes

Playing around with some quick rendering styles/process…all models from 3DW.
VRAY with ‘Misty Pines’ HDRI for ENV

Alternative NPR version. Materials Override setting in VRAY (or ‘clay render’) with lines exported from SketchUp and set to multiply in Photoshop. Contrast boosted and nearly desaturated to remove ‘blueish hue’ from VRAY render.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Mmmm…the force runs strong in your family…

2 Likes

Are you combining them in Photoshop with Multiply as a blend mode? Check out this article. I’ve been working on a action in Photoshop to do true transparency, but can’t claim to be an expert at developing PS actions.

Nice tip! I haven’t tried that Channel selection method yet. I typically use ‘Select by color range’ and delete the white infill. But to your question, I use both ‘Multiply’ blend mode and remove the white. Depends on the drawing.

2 Likes

Been awhile since I posted anything. So here’s 10 mins of playing around with the idea of artistic play space with multiple-colored faces on cubes = different look depending on viewing angle.

Used sandbox grid @2’ w/ Artisan sculpt for ground plane mesh. Then Skatter ‘grid’ distribution for arranging cubes with ground mesh as ‘host’ object.

5 Likes

Eric,
could you upload this to the Warehouse? I’d love to make something out of it (for fun).

Cube Box Placemaking Play Concept | 3D Warehouse - Have at it!

you’re the best! thanks. I was just thinking about it.

1 Like