Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi my names Pete, on trial pro at the moment and looking to go for full pro very soon, once I feel I can make the most of this program. Used Sketchup 2017 for a while but exited at the prospect of really using Pro to its full and wide potentiel.
Quick on to start with if anybody could kindly help please… created an event arena and looking to place it in G-earth location.
This is my model

However, when I go to 'add location, select area then grab this is what I get

Basically a small dot in the middle of the axis, tried zooming in but can’t, what am I doing fundamentally wrong.
Suggestions please
Many thanks
Pete

1 Like

Who are you?`

My name is John Laing. I am 70 years old and an expatriate Canadian, living in the UK for over 30 years.

• What is your industry and profession? I am retired. I have worked for railroad companies for most of my working life, both in the UK and in Canada. I have also been deeply involved with the hobby of historical war gaming with model figures.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use Sketchup from home for design of models for wargaming, particularly model warships.
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favourite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) I discovered Sketch about 5 years ago. It seemed fairly simple (I’m not a natural with a computer) to me. The fact it was free to use allowed me to decide if I could do it at.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I’ve been at it, off and on and would presently call myself an experienced beginner.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No.
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) I have an ACER desk top running Windows 10.
  • **Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?**No. I am only now starting to develop so presentable models.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? *(e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)*I have long been interested in historical warship and have constructed large model fleets and several scales with wood and plastic. I am currently working at creating World War 2 warships at 1/1200 scale.
  • What is your favourite Emoji? N/A
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? More likely long walks in a great city of Europe.
    Cheers John
2 Likes

There is, but only for non-commercial use.

Make 2017

1 Like

Thanks for that information!

1 Like

Yay Istanbul! Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the welcome and well spotted!

Cheers John

1 Like
  • Who are you? My Name is Ash

• What is your industry and profession? I am a design engineer currently working for an artificial climbing wall company. My main responsibilities include Feasibility studies/Linear Structural Stability analysis/report writing(lots), Steelwork design/drafting and a bit of R&D. Previously I have worked in the industrial/heavy engineering sector.

• Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Both

• Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) Mainly for project technical studies. I will get a design from sales and then design the support structure to make it stand up and stay up… Each project is different so a large proportion of the support is bespoke. SketchUp is great because it is an ideal platform for collaboration on projects and is easy to navigate for all involved parties.

• How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Not sure really, I have been using it almost every working day for 3 years now. I hadnt worked with it previously.

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No but I would like to! I am UK based so would probably only attend if it was offered here though.

• What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) I7,Quattro K1100,16gb RAM, 512SSD

• Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Nope :frowning:

• Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I have done some project work on a number of traction engines for rebuild. Lots of Hot rivets and old boiler tech, I am hoping to remodel within skp when I have some free time.

• Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? I enjoy long walks, so long as they arent in the city. My border collie enjoys them even more.

3 Likes

My name is Andy. No photo right now - My wife just bought me an Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop and I don’t want to melt the camera this soon. I am a retired Deputy Sheriff / Firefighter / Paramedic (total service time = 119 years - yep, older than dirt) plus held other professions concurrently in engineering, IT, etc. I’m really tired these days. I am a woodworker and use SU to design my projects. I have been to two SU classes through the local Woodcraft store. I consider myself in the “intermediate” range. When my wife retires in December, we are moving to Charleston, SC. We are building a home there.
At this time, I would like to know if it is possible to scan in a photo (from a brochure) to SU and use it as a basis for a project/model, such as adding landscaping, etc.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Hello Fellow Sketchers!
My name is Jeff Schroll and I am an owner operator of a home based woodworking business. Technically I am retired, but I get bored real easy, so I decided to fulfill a life long dream and start a woodworking business at home. I am using SketchUp Pro to design various projects that I am building and eventually use it to make programs for the CNC router I bought to expand my capabilities as a woodworker. I am only beginning and until the past couple years I haven’t used the computer other than email, Facebook or Googling. I started out by taking some online classes in Adobe Creative Cloud through Pittsburgh Art Institute Online Division which was a real eye opener but it woke me up to the world of computers and graphics as well as CNC Routing. I am working with a SketchUp Pro on a Windows 10 operating system on my PC with 12 gigs of RAM and that’s about all I can tell you about my computer due to a lack of experience and know how. So I will have a lot of questions and be a real pain in the butt. I really don’t like forums because usually those who tend to answer talk way above my comprehension level concerning computers. So keep the jelly on the bottom shelf where I can reach it folks!

4 Likes

Who are you?
Daniel :slight_smile:

'What is your industry and profession?`
Military / CAD enthusiast / Maker / Builder / Creator

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Personally

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?(Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
I’m a hobbyist for sure, I love creating, designing, and building ‘things’. Metal working, woodworking, 3d printing (just bought a Prusa MK3 that I’m loving) are all a lot of fun in CAD… it gives me a product that I can show the wife, earn that green light to start building!

How proficient are you in SketchUp?
Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
Beginner… I used AutoCAD in high school 16+years ago, but things have definitely changed (especially 2d to 3d)

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Nope!

What is your current set up?[Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Built PC with a windows OS, plenty of internal power! Currently running the latest free version of Sketchup

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Not yet!

Anything else you would like to tell us?(e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
I retire from the military in 4 years, I can’t wait to be a full time ‘maker’

What is your favorite Emoji?
I seem to use the :-/ a lot, even though it doesn’t register … in my head it’s more of a hmm?

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? rather be in the water, pushing into the waves!

3 Likes

Hi, My name is Maha Mordi from Abuja, Nigeria.You can view mynot so pearly whites on my profile. i’m new to sketch up, beginner level(1 week in). i use sketchup professionally for architecture as a student. My favorite thing about sketchup is that it grants you the freedom to create new concepts and materials never before seen or of your own conception. The very ability to bend concepts as you see fit is what i find appealing. Never been to a 3D base camp but intending, i donot have a favorite emoji and YES! i do enjoy long walks anywherestart.skp (325.7 KB)
i’ve uploaded my first 2D model created using sketchup. feel free to tell, i’m basically here to sponge bof Guru knowledge

3 Likes
  • Who are you? My name is Irina Tsokova.
  • **What is your industry and profession?I am currently an interior design student in my second year of study in Leicester, England.
  • **`Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use it in university to create my projects and personally to develop my abilities.
  • **`Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I like how the UI is really easy to comprehend.
  • **`How proficient are you in SketchUp? Intermediate
  • **`Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, but I would love to go to one
  • **`What is your current set up? Dell Inspiron 5558, NVidia GeForce 920M, SketchUp Pro 2017
  • **`Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? I am working on it :wink:
  • **`Anything else you would like to tell us? I would love to be a part of the SketchUp community so I can share ideas with all you lot.
  • **`What is your favorite Emoji? :@
  • **`Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? I enjoy everything beach related.
4 Likes

Hi

I’m a 66 year old architect working in the UK.

I’ve drawn by hand all of my working life despite attempts to master Vectorworks a few years ago and more recently Ares Commander. Both frankly turned me off the whole idea of CAD and back to my drawing board.

Ultimately I was forced to move into CAD by the SIPS timber frame suppliers I use and a bossy interior designer I work with. I chose Sketchup on price but the 3D ability was a big influence.

I finally knew I’d mastered Sketchop when I printed a Layout drawing to scale a few months back, something my interior designer still struggles to do with Autocad. I’ve put my drawing board away and haven’t looked back.

My move into CAD had to suit my methods of working and at the moment I’m only using 2D but it has improved my accuracy and productivity and I’m enjoying the learning process.

4 Likes

Hi there I´m Greg,
Advanced user of sketchup for maybe 10 years now. Using sketchup 2017 on a PC for Events and Booth design essentially after a large use in the Retail industry. also User of Vray for SU and lots of plugins.
For confidentiality issues, I´m usually not able to share my models here, sorry about that.
I also use Layout and find it amazing!
Best,

Greg

1 Like

Hi, I am a new Sketchup user, I work in construction but I am trying to develop a good system to create simple Permaculture designs for my clients, which are just friends and family right now. As of now I am using sketchup for personal use, and I am liking the ease of the system, though I’ve run into a few problems. I am running windows 10 on a trial version of Sketchup pro.

Thanks,

Jacob

2 Likes

Sketchup very good or easy software I I contraction work house bungalow with material contractor I use sketchup sketch of is very good software this operating system very easy I use sketchup 6 month

1 Like

You need to be using SketchUp Pro.

1 Like

HI

I’m working with Sketchup for about 3 years.
I’m an architect and a 3-d modeling person.

I use SketchUp to professionally design houses and buildings.
I design wood frame houses and concrete buildings as well as landscapes.

I use sketchup, beause i find its interface very simple and intuitive and it gives me a lot for modeling.

I would say I am advanced Sketchup user.

Currently Im designing of the wood-frame houses.

1 Like

I’m Frank Richardson, an Architect; new to Sketchup.
I’m enrolled in Sketchup school and working on a project that could use some 3d visualization.
I use a macbook pro 13 inch laptop, working with Sketchup 18

1 Like

Willf-
We have similar histories…and similar age categories

I’m very new to Sketchup after working with AutoCAD for some time now and being less that enthused…

I’m wondering if you have experience working with interior systems furniture? I’m looking for a download that will let me adjust sizes, heights, colors and materials.
Any thoughts?

1 Like