Do other industries use SketchUp other than Architecture and Interiors. Like say Media?

Hello community. I am relatively new to SketchUp. I have been using the software for the past several months. I do have 3D experience with other packages, but the industry I am currently in uses SketchUp primarily. I work in Architecture and have been in production for sometime. I haven’t used SketchUp at work, but I would like to do so.

My question is, are there other industries that use SketchUp beyond Architecture? If so, are you in one of those industries and how did you get there? I like Architecture, but I am also interested in illustration and art as well.

Here is something I created of personal interest. I created everything in this scene in SketchUp. No imports or 3D Warehouse models or textures. This again was just personal interest and an opportunity to try different modeling techniques and workflows.

It started out as just one Marine. Can I make a person? Then it turned into different poses, the environment, vehicles, palm trees, etc. This is really just a hobby piece, but it shows me that SketchUp can do more than just Buildings.

I really enjoy using SketchUp. I hope that I can find a way to use it as a Pro.

Regards,

Eric

4 Likes

I work in the software industry and use SketchUp all the time! (But I technically work at SketchUp, so that’s silly useless data for you.)

It’ll be interesting to see how this thread fills out, but I can confirm we’ve had people in just about any industry I can think of that might use models or need to visualize data, examples include; Game Studios, Movie Studios (both live action and animated), Graphic Design, Graphic Novels/Comic Books, Theatre (set design), Building Maintenance, Construction/Carpentry, Woodworking, Landscaping and Interior Design.

Thats not even touching the hobbies that enjoy SketchUp such as computer builders/modders, 3d printers, cosplay and others.

That’s a great model, your tanks look sort of like they’re covered in astro turf. (c: Great use of fog!

Thanks Jody for your input! You are right about the tanks. They do look like that. I decided to limit the detail to basic forms. Everything was quick and I was going for a mostly consistent look. Again, thanks for your comments.

I used SketchUp when working as a mechanical engineer to provide customers with 3D models of piping systems in hydroelectric powerhouses. I used it for new powerhouses as well as refurbishing projects for existing ones.

I have use SketchUp since version 3.0.

I am a graphic designer and I also specialize in designing events and experiences. I started using SketchUp 6 years ago in order to visualize my artwork and furnishings in a space that I could not visit. I eventually had my company adopt SketchUp formally and I trained my entire team who now uses it daily across a wide variety of projects.

We use it to design and visualize physical spaces and experiences, before we build them. It allows us to do so much more than ever before. From multi story brand experience booth structures to stage design for large events, internal and externally facing.

We use it to visualize product packaging, and design of entirely new product design.

Recently we have started using sketchup to generate actual graphics and motifs that are used in highly visible marketing campaigns. Some have turned into animations, print packing, lighting design, molbile gamified experiences, and so much more.

Edit: none of this represents any specific industry, but instead different types of applications within another industry

2 Likes

I have used Sketchup (since v6) for amateur theatre set design and construction detail drawings, woodworking, model railway layout and baseboard construction, 3D printing, and a range of other subjects that needed drawings in either or both of 2D and 3D.

And helped other people model novel types of building, telegraph poles, light fittings and other street furniture.

I’ve also helped my brother remodelling his house, re-drawing the architect’s 2d plans to better visualise the new parts of the building, and explore options for new steps in the garden.

All as an amateur hobbyist, but using the Pro desktop version from 2016 onwards, but Make before that).

Before discovering SU I used AutoCad in a limited way for 3D, and TurboCad and DesignCad in 2D. I’ve tried several others but not used them much or at all for active projects.

2 Likes

There is an LA conceptual artist, Ken Nguyen, that used to post on Sketchucation who uses SU to develop game environments and assets. I find his work exceptional, and it might be worth checking out these threads for some inspiration:

https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=27028&hilit=fantasy

https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=27030

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Ken’s work. That was Fantastic!!! Very inspiring.

1 Like

This guy uses SketchUp for comics A few of my models, used in the LAZARUS comic book • sketchUcation • 3

I use SketchUp (in my serious hobby) for mechanical modeling.

1 Like

I’ve helped a detective to see how he could model a crime scene once. I didn’t actually model it as I couldn’t be envolved in it directly. I just told him the concepts he should explore to do it and he went on with the work. He had no prior education on modeling or architecture so it was interesting that he found sketchup user friendly. That was the coolest way to use Sketchup that I came across.

Joshua Cohen uses it for legal case investigation and presentation, and he gave a presentation at 3D Basecamp 2018.

That reminds me, of course people model all sorts of things for 3d printing so any discipline may be involved. I once helped a guy make spiral coils for a transmitter. He was inventing what he needed on the fly to boost his signal. He was on the other side of the world.

Hello I’m using SU for working out complete projects in the constructions.
Since the use all is much better organized, all materials we use are in components, I created a Database in Excel for the components reports and after the drawing is created a directly have a full list of materials needed for the installation, till the last screw needed, its a great programm.

3 Likes

Really impressive. Thanks for your input!

I use SketchUp for architectural and engineering drawings. As a hobbyist SketchUp feeds my 3D printing which feeds my model building projects. Some of these are quite complex and always rewarding.

Some examples are:
This started out as the Edward Hopper masterpiece, “House by the Railroad”

Fork lift truck that started as a model on the Warehouse, but need extensive modification to make it printable. Consisted of seven parts.

Various locomotive diesel prime movers:

1:48 Scale Furniture for House by the RR, drawn from actual pieces in our home.

Everything I print starts out as a SketchUp drawing. I draw at full scale or much larger than shrink to 1:48 scale, export an STL and then slice. The printer coupled with SketchUp has revolutionized my modeling capability.

7 Likes

Wow. These are great! 3D printing is something I am very interested in. Lots of possibilities. Thanks for sharing.

We use Sketchup for construction estimating and construction detailing, in fact, we build plugins for builders, contractors, roofers, shed builders, plumbers and many more industries.

I even designed a motorbike track for short circuit racing in Australia that gets international riders so I can not see any reason why Sketchup can not be used in any chosen profession.
Although Sketchup is technically a CAD tool, it is actually a communication tool.

3 Likes

That is very interesting you use SU for piping. I am a long time user of SW for plant design and system piping. If possible I would like to see one of your designs.

Hi Tom, hi folks.

Here are four pictures of simple projects all created in real size to ascertain the feasibility of design.

On the first one you can see a part of the AutoCAD drawing that served as a reference and that I imported in SU. All the rest of this model as well as all the other 3 models are 100% SU. The only plugins I used were Engineering Toolbox and Pipe along path.

2 Likes