Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hey
Deviantart, I know. I’m subscribed to that platform for many years already. I don’t know Dribble; I’ll check it out, Thanks.
On Deviantart, most of the artists are very young and- I’m afraid I have to say- not very talented as drawers! All they do is copy anime and manga characters (not very good), and color those. They color quite well however.
Unfortunately they all live very far away, so it would be difficult to collaborate with one of them.
I don’t know if I’ll have the time to learn to color digitally for real though; after all, I’m fairly old now, I’m not sure if it’s still worth it. I’ll never get as good as a youngster anyway, and I am doing the drawing and the writing already. I will try to find myself a colorist over here in Belgium.

If ever you think of other websites, thanks for letting me know

Hi, my name is rene, age 58, i am working in the energy industie as a support engineer for our renewables department. Our engineering department uses Inventor and AutoCad. For small proposal sketches i use SchetchUp Make 2017. My co-worker structural-engineers laughed about this, but were supprised when i demonstrated the 3D-animation for a small drawing i made :wink:
Hope to devellop more skills here and in the future maybe switching over to Pro…

Welcome Rene. Feel free to ask questions. Share your SketchUp files if they can help others answer your questions.

FWIW, you need to switch to SketchUp Pro. Make is not licensed for the way you are using it.

Greetings. Not real pleased with either Shop or the web based version of SketchUp 2018. I have many old files built up over the years and can’t figure out how to open them. Please advise. Also, I work in remote areas off the grid. A web based program is useless in the bush. Is there a downloadable version?

Downloadable Version

Retired, Beginner, using Sketchup for personal projects

Greetings,

My name is Dennis. I’ve used Sketchup on and off for years. I’m using the web based v. because ANAICT there is NOT not a natively supported Linux v. of Sketchup anymore.

Wishing all fellow sketchers a great day!
Dennis

Welcome Dennis.

FWIW, there never has been a natively supported Linux desktop version of SketchUp. Only Windows and Mac.

Hi all,

Who are you? My name is Laura
What is your industry & profession? Pensioner for 8 years :wilted_flower: :sunflower:
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally only
Why do you use SketchUp…? To mainly create 3D buildings (only beginner actually)
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner - find this more user friendly than say Blender, etc to learn.
Never went on camps, I am only self-taught
What is your current set up? SketchUp 2016
Do you have a 3D Warehouse page…? Yes - https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/u589d6c69-8adb-4e30-ade7-c396c6932ed6/Launoks-Fashion-Shop (you can see my model used in Bryce render at my blog: http://launok.blogspot.com/)
Anything else…? If you read my comment I have posted underneath my model, I struggle to get models to fall onto exact point on basis. But as I stated, I am only self-taught and this is a hobby more than anything else. And VERY happy that SketchUp models transfer greatly into Bryce 7 (my actual render editor!) :smile:
What is your favourite Emoji? Smiling, of course! :smile:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Used too, unfortunately living in Johannesburg which is about 18 hours drive per bus to Cape Town, shorter to Durban but I prefer Cape Town more. :sunny:

Well, this is a whole mouth full about myself.

Kind regards,

Laura N (launok)

I have just become a teacher. I plan on and i know how to use sketchup in combination with unity3d (with webplayer) so that the student use their 3d sculptures to save files (put up pictures). They can then show off their work walking arond in a 3d model (sketchup has a bad walking engine. Allso unity has more oppurtunities. like making it into a web player game https://vestervang.itch.io/museum so they can acces each others museum.

I NEED HELP WITH AN EASYER WAY TO PUT UP PICTURES! right now i have to erase wall behind pictures (cutting a piece off at the size of the picture - a bit clumsy way). Else it gets buggy when i load into unity. Hope some1 can help

Continuing from welcome. Cutting components

Hello my name is Jayne, I am a newbie to 3D modeling. I have spent all of my career as an embedded firmware engineer. I am now looking to learn how to create 3D models for home utility products and crafting.
Any tips are welcome! Like is there a good website for templates, how-tos …
Again , looking forward to learning .
Cheers,

Jayne

I am an architect living in the Philadelphia MainLine area

my business is architecture and design, mostly residential remodels now, also an avid photographer and maker of stuff

I use SU in my private design practice to help folks plan and build things. Have been doing it for over twenty years. Trick is to create a workflow that establishes a team that bring things into reality within budget and time, as promised. And get everyone paid for it. The drawings are conduits for decisions. In larger firms I have designed 14 story residential towers and I have also done a ton of small homes.

long time user, remember when SU was created by architects for architects, Saw ownership change to Google and then Trimble

intermediate level user I guess, I tend to avoid over-sophisticating Construction Drawings or even Design CAD/3D drawings because my free-handing is the best/cheapest choice for me. I tend to rely on photoshop proficiency to dress things up for delivery of sexy 2D images.

Basecamp, have not attended but have watched some videos of them

What is my current set up? Have a new Surface Book2 laptop with Windows X on it, AutoCAD LT (I let my AC full product lapse and now use the cheap stepchild), Photoshop & Sketchup Pro with Layout, Acrobat Pro. Use a big second monitor, a mouse and a graphic pen.

No I have never uploaded anything, seems pointless to me, but sometimes I find a decent models to download

Here’s a link to a blog I wrote about Sketchup which has an embedded SU model of a remodel job I did about a year ago http://designdeliverables.com/when-can-clients-fly-their-kitchen/

Here’s my LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/greghgibson/

Here’s my one and only contribution to printed books! https://www.amazon.com/Remodel-Architects-Advice-Home-Renovation/dp/0471122602/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533578600&sr=8-1&keywords=book+remodel+gibson

Came to this forum to get a question on Layout answered…… but got distracted…… again. Greg

Who are you, who, who? I’m thietkebietthu

What is your industry and profession? I’m an architect and a designer

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use SketchUp professionally. My entire architectural firm runs on SketchUp and 3dmax …
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I use SketchUp because it’s easy, it’s popular and it has a great API!

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, advanced? Intermediate

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Sketchup Pro 2017 running on PC Dell United States" retina with 2 23" HD monitors

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
yes it’s https://acihome.com.vn and blog https://viet3darch.blogspot.com/

For this I use a combination of Layers and Scenes. Although sometimes just the Hide function. Each Scene can have a ton of different display settings. To be safe, create a Layer and a Scene devoted to isolating the backdrop you will toggle on and off. In the Scene: BACKDROP (for example) toggle on the Layer with the stuff on it and UPDATE the Scene. This will spin the model to the best view with the BACKDROP positioned perfectly. Be sure the Layer BACKDROP is toggled off in the rest of your scenes.

Just made a 2 sheet layout using the export to PDF function to show a Gate & Arbor design. Worked nicely as the Pdf is just what the clients need to see. Made a 2Mb file with two color tabloid sheets in it so it can easily be printed if needed. Typically use the high resolution choices in Export. Question on Layout. I could not find how to assign color to any type/text. Wanted to reverse (white color) some text over colorized images as an alternative to black type. Is this possible in Layout at all?

You should post your questions and comments in the appropriate category. This one is for introductions.

Don’t see how to assign a category

or click on the link below and read about navigation of the community forum.

Okay I am getting the hang of it. The hamburger menu at the upper right!

Hello, My name is Robert Alexander Schaefer, from Munich, teacher of a high-school, thinking out mathematical models and educational tools. I hope, SU will help me by constructing all my ideas.

Hi, I’m Rafael O. Quezada, longtime user, have been gone a while, and trying to get my program back up and running… having issues, though