Welcome to the SketchUp Community!

On behalf of the SketchUp team and community, I welcome you to our new community platform. Powered by Discourse, we’re exploring new territory in what it means to have great conversations online. As mentioned in the announcement post in Google-powered forum…

The philosophy behind this new forum platform is about creating open, honest and well mannered discussions about whatever topics come up.

This is the place to go to chat with passionate members of the SketchUp community, the illustrious SketchUp Sages, and of course talk directly to members of the SketchUp team.

Welcome!

Getting Started

Finding posts

This SketchUp Forum is organized into categories. My first recommendation is to look at the category structure to get familiar with how discussions will be organized. Click the Categories button along the top of the page see the main categories and their sub-categories. Every category has a description to help you identify where to look for content.

There’s also an integrated Search engine (click the magnifying glass icon) which is another great way to find what you’re looking for.

Logging In

We’ve configured the forum to use the same sign-up mechanism that we use for the 3D Warehouse and Extension Warehouse. You will need to log in before you can post to the forum

Posting

We’re starting with a clean slate in this new forum, so you may have to ask your question or post your comment to begin talking with others in the community.

To post a new topic, scroll to the top, click on SketchUp Community in the top-left corner and then click on + New Topic

Replying

If you’d like to contribute to a post, you’ll notice several Reply buttons. Clicking the Reply button next to a post or at the bottom of the thread will open the editor on the bottom of the screen. The left side of the editor is for typing. The right side gives you a preview of what your post looks like.

To quote someone in your reply, select the text you wish to quote, then press any Reply button.

To ping someone in your reply, mention their name. Type @ and an autocompleter will pop up.

For standard Emoji, just start typing : or the traditional smileys :) :smile:

What else can I do?

There are action buttons at the bottom of each post.

To let someone know that you enjoyed their post, use the like button. If you see a problem with a post, privately let them, or our staff, know about it with the flag button.

You can also share a link to a post, or bookmark it for later reference on your user page.

When in doubt…

Just click around! A great way to learn is to explore the forum, click on buttons, and see what they do. Discourse worked really hard to make it easy to the right thing (and hard to do the wrong thing).

Tell us what you think

The Meta category was created to collect any feedback you have about the SketchUp Forum platform. Please post your comments and feature requests there

How do I start posting?

• To start a new topic use the at the top right of the page.

• When posting, be sure to include a meaningful subject line, a detailed description or your question or issue and images or files which help further illustrate your point.

• Be aware, the Category you choose could be as important as the subject line itself, be sure to choose the appropriate Categrory.

Keep scrolling

There are no next page buttons or page numbers – to read more, just keep scrolling down!

As new posts come in, they will appear automatically.

Why can’t I do certain things?

New users are somewhat limited for safety reasons. As you participate here, you’ll gain the trust of the community, become a full citizen, and those limitations will automatically be removed. At a high enough trust level, you’ll gain even more abilities to help us manage our community together.

Note that some posting options will only become unlocked as your Trust level increases. Be sure your use the Search box to look for answers and browse through other posts to get a feel for the community before you start posting. Getting to Trust Level 1 is pretty easy.

That’s about it! We’ll be posting more guides soon which cover deeper topics such as Badges, Wiki Posts, etc…

Again, welcome, and I look forward to having a riveting discourse with you soon.

-SketchUp Community Team

16 Likes

Thx for the welcome. This format looks great. I look forward to getting more useful info from this new forum.

2 Likes

The new forum looks great! Congratulations.

5 Likes

easy to use forum. Great!

歡迎!高興與大家又見面囉! Welcome! Happy to meet with everyone!

I like the new forum. It is easy to use, easy to navigate through, and has a nice layout!

Wow! that sounds cool.

My high school son built this geometric sculpture out of sheet metal for the town annual art show. He made components on Google sketch up and he is wondering if he can place the virtual model on Google Earth.

Thanks for any help.

Danerd50

1 Like

Great! Very pleased to be here to recognize the big guys!

1 Like

Nice forum guys : ) Well done.

1 Like

What took you guys so long ! Hehe

This looks awesome! Great Job guys!

Makes sense, good work.

Just wondering why I had to make another account for this forum, is this not connected to 3DW? Also, I cannot change my email address from the Gmail I had to start for Google3DW (which I don’t use), why is this fixed for the new account?

Thanks

Received this email about Sketchup today. All the information that is to be related to this account is incorrect and lust like the program…I can not seem to work it. I need to change the profile information, how is this done? It says that it has all been verified and won’t let me swap anything.

Thank you so much!!
Feels like coming home.
Missed it. :smile:
Great job you’ve done.
K.H.

1 Like

got an email about the forum today so I decided to join. looks really cool so far, thanks for the welcome!

1 Like

Nice thing . . . . . . . :smile: :smiley:

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to collaborating with like minded people.

2 Likes

thanks! this is great

Hi there, just wanted to say hello to everyone and for you Tommy! =)
I love SketchUp, R U with me ?

The new forums looks great and feels better, congratulations!