Sketchup Models 2022 are not displayed in VR

Sketchup Models Vers. 2022 are not displayed in VR. Downsizing to 2020 does not help.

I can confirm that SU models do display in VR. Which device or devices are you using?

Hi @andreas.tigges

In the latest 2.5.31 version of the SketchUp Viewer for VR we fixed the issue and the app now supports skp files of version 2020 and later.

Please download the latest version of SketchUp Viewer for VR for use as a Windows PCVR application.

Also, if I may ask what VR device do you have?

in case you have an Oculus device, the latest version is also available in the Rift store: SketchUp Viewer on Oculus Rift | Oculus
That means that once you have connected to the Oculus Home (Rift mode) you can go in the Store and look for SketchUp.

I hope that helps,
AK

Hi AK,

I downloaded the version yesterday, but I´ve still the bug. Can I send the skp-file to you? I tried it this morning, but 25 MB is too much for Outlook.

Can I try it with WETransfer?

image001.jpg

If you upload it, I’ll try to open it.

If you are using Outlook, you could try OneDrive.

There are some tips in this post that may be helpful to you: Can’t open models - can’t make anything work - SketchUp Viewer / Desktop VR - SketchUp Community

https://we.tl/t-YzwAiyRrz9

The model opens in SU Viewer for VR, using Meta Quest Pro.

There are a few problems though:

When I opened your file I couldn’t see anything at first. Once I found your ‘surroundings’/‘area’ I saved the file so it would reopen in a usable view.

Then I opened your file in SU Viewer for VR…

First, the model was still far from the origin (I had to look around to find it). I moved it ~ -100m to get it closer.

Second, you can see that the buildings didn’t move with the terrain (upper area of image).

I moved the axis in SU to the corner of your terrain, re-saved and re-opened the model. This didn’t fix the problem.

Is DGM1 geo-located?

It seems as though SU Viewer for VR is moving Layers instead of the whole model. I’ll try removing geo-location and changing how things are grouped later today as I have to do a few things now.

Sorry, the file is too big (max. 16 MB), here is the WETransfer-Link

https://we.tl/t-YzwAiyRrz9

ATi

The model includes some detailed terrain, some contours, and a bunch of buildings. The contours and buildings are way above the terrain. Here is just the buildings, sat on the ground. See if this works in VR.

UmgebungOnGround.skp (241.1 KB)

Sorry, that does not help. For the immersive feeling we need the original model.

image001.jpg

Here are some images from SU to compare:

Umgebung (Original)

UmgebungOnGround

Umgebung (Moved & Saved)

I’m now using the second version supplied (Umgebung1).

I’ve Purged Unused, Saved the model so that it is in the viewport and removed geo-location. I also saw that the units don’t match in some of the fields:

Umgebung Units

That’s been changed to Feet. I also named the unnamed tag, “Topo”, and grouped the three groups into one group, “AllGroups”.

None of this worked. The model is still far from the origin, the CityGML and DGM1 are out of alignment and the scale is off.

Explode all groups in groups… And after much more fiddling (and exploding all groups in CityGML):

… Okay, I finally got this to work…

I can explain how to set up your models for better display… but this took too long so for now - goodnight!

Here is a link to a version of your model to test: Sign in to your account

*** The following may be a bit confusing, so I’ve added a bunch of images to help. The main takeaway is that the axes of your model (Model Origin), and the group ‘bounding boxes’ are out of alignment even though the model looks correct. This alignment problem makes things more difficult to work with in the long run. A solution is to be cognizant of model and component axes from the start and employ tactics in your workflow that make these work for you instead of against you.***

It seems that a main issue that SU Viewer for VR was having is that your groups had different axes. This may have contributed to the CityGML and DGM1 ‘Layers’ (In SU Viewer VR) to display at widely different locations (and scales) in VR space. Here is what your model view looks like when I open it in SU (with CityGML selected):

The above is the model origin with which the CityGML Group is ‘centered on’ (but it is higher than the model origin).

Now look at DGM1. There’s nothing to see because this group is much higher than the model axis.

And a nested group of DGM1. It is as if the higher level of the group is aligned to a center point higher in the model space but the nested group is aligned to the ‘center’ of the model axis (which is ‘bassackwards’ and confusing).

Another thing to notice is that when your file is opened, the models aren’t visible. This is because the bounding boxes of the groups are higher than the model origin (and the model is zoomed-in, putting them out of sight). A reason these things are important is that SU Viewer for VR wants to open your model at the model origin and just like in your SU version of the file where the model is not visible, it’s not visible (or at least not obvious because it is ~200 meters above your head) when the model axis is placed.

This image shows the CityMGL ‘component’ axes and the Model Origin axes (Turn on Show component axes in Model Info → Components). In this case, the ‘component axes’ are the same as the corner of the group’s bounding box (and neither is on the Model Axis).

And this images shows DGM1 and Höhenlinien. The ‘component axes’ are on the Model Origin. The bounding box origins are not on the Model Axis. None of the group bounding boxes are aligned with each other.

This images shows that neither the yellow bounding boxes of your groups or the ‘component axes’ are aligned with each other or to the Model Origin AND the component axis of one or your groups is not in the corner of the bounding box of its’ group (DGM1 and Höhenlinien’s ‘component axes’ are at the Model Origin).

It seems that SU Viewer for VR was putting these bounding box axes on the Model Origin axis and this caused them to be out of alignment with one another.

The solution was to explode the groups and make components of them. Those components were manually aligned and put inside another component which seemed to fix the problem of the groups being displayed far from one another.

Let me know if this helps. I’d be interested in learning about what you did to create this model as it’s not bad (excepting the part about not displaying in SU Viewer for VR).

Hi,

thank´s for your analysis. I know this, but that´s the only GEORef-workflow which works with Sketchup and I cannot not change this, because it generates too many other problems.

The only solultion I see is to adapt Sketchup for VR. My wish is to walk on the DGM in VR.

I am convinced you and the Sketchup team is able to implement this.

Thank´s in advance.

image001.jpg

Were you able to download “UmgebungCopy.skp” from the link? I was able to walk on DMG1.

I downloaded the file, but structure and georeference is gone. That´s not an option. The original skp-file should not be modified!

image001.jpg

I’ve manually re-added the geo-location (waiting to upload/sync).

What do you mean about the “structure” being gone? I did remove the Höhenlinien group. But that could be replaced. There was also an un-named tag on Höhenlinien that I removed.

Also, the nested groups in CityGML appear to be shifted and rotated relative to each other and do not appear to be a logical grouping (they are scattered all around):

CityGML and DGM1 are ‘out of alignment’:

Are those the “structure” issues you are referring to?

DMG1 is ‘heavy’ and causes SU to hang sometimes when I convert it to a component.

If you can convert your groups to components (trial 1) and then create a component out of the components (trial 2), one of those might work. If you create those versions and send them to me I’ll test them.

At the very least try putting your all of your groups into a component (I think I tried this and it didn’t work) - otherwise the model will show DGM1 and CityGML very far from each other (with the exception of some of the buildings) when opened in SU Viewer for VR.

Hi,

you find my answers in red.

I do not understand what you mean. I cannot see your answers. Please re-send.

https://we.tl/t-033NVFrF2C

image001.jpg

FYI
Perhaps you are not aware: You are using the email answer to public forum post. This email will not include the history.
Better to visit the forum and answer/post here.

1 Like