Virtual Reality device recommendations 2022

Hello!
I’ve been using Sketch Up for a few months, and I would like to jump to VR to be able to see my models. Any particular recommendation for VR glasses?
I’m working with files of around 120 MB and Keyframe Animation 2.2 plug in.
Thank you!

I can confirm that the SketchUp Viewer for VR works on the new Quest Pro and HP MR Headsets. The Quest 2 might be a good choice in terms of value and quality. The SU Viewer for HoloLens 1 also works and is similar to the SU VR Viewer but has AR functionality.

Not that this would be a workflow that I’d normally use, but SketchUp Pro runs on Oculus desktop and the QP controllers and virtual keyboard were able to interact directly with an SU model and other peripherals (e.g., spacemouse) also still worked.

If SketchUp releases an AR/VR version of SketchUp Viewer that runs on QP it will be far and away the best choice.

Maybe @colin can chime in on headsets: did you have a chance to try out QP with SU? Super exciting!

2 Likes

I tried SimLab’s thing. Still getting apps installed. Puzzling Places game looks good with color passthrough.

For LSKD’s question the big problem I see is that it’s using an extension. I don’t think extensions will work in any VR setup.

1 Like

I’m excited to try a number of apps… SimLabs is on the list but I need to check on the free version.

On LSKD’s use of extensions… With SU Pro running on Oculus Desktop I used Dynamic Components. I was using a cable and using SU Pro in Oculus Desktop VR may not be a great VR experience… but it is possible to quickly switch between apps (SU Pro in OD → SU VR Viewer), so we can get a full SU experience in VR right now.

On another note, I don’t have any partners to test collaboration features of SU Viewer HoloLens, SU VR Viewer, or any of the interesting looking features of QP (e.g., Workspaces), so if you’re also looking for partners to test collaboration features let me know.

1 Like

Hello colin, thanks for your reply, I would like to add that we don’t really need the plug in working (what it does is move components/groups when you change scene), we only need to see the different static scenes. It worries me that when I’m in the model using the desktop app it has some lag specially around areas with many components. Will this happen with a VR headset too?

Anyways, I still would like to hear a recommendation from your side because in the future we will use Sketch Up to design static models (buildings, etc.) and the idea is to be able to walk around with the VR headset.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, I use VR Sketch extension with a Q2, its excellent. You can work on the live SU model and is very good as a model viewer, you can jump between scenes, use section cuts in VR. Can upload files to cloud that can be cached in headset so you dont have to have a machine with you if you are demoing your design somewhere else. Also works on mac and PC tethered and un-tethered.

1 Like

Hi bifterx, thank you for your response. Does the Q2 work also with the Sketch Up Pro included extension? My aim is not to edit models while using VR for now but just to visualize them.

it does but TBH the included SU viewer is god-awful IMHO. And is PC only, if that is a factor.
I mostly use VR Sketch as viewer as its fast and intuitive. Although I am going to have a look at the SimLab offering this morning.

1 Like

Okay, noted, could you share your thoughts once you try it? Thank you so much in advance!

OK. The SimLab offering although free does not visually look good out of the box. You can do more with it as you can add SimLab assets to your models in terms of IES lights and it provides some automated material support based on material description, so will add reflectivity and some normal/bump mapping (a bit like Visualiser used to do back in the day) but, if you just want to prototype your design models, there does not appear to be any support for edges or profiles, so unless materials are applied it seems to just be an ambient occlusion pass (particularly on interiors). I guess if I was also ultimately prepping my model for something like vray where I was adding vray lights and widgets, i’m not sure if i’m comfortable having similar lights and assets also present. :man_shrugging:

but its so clunky, UI is very poor and looks very dated, your Sketchup model will look better in Sketchup, it loads the models into a seemingly apocalyptic environment! even changing to sun and sky still lights the model as if there are life threatening forest fires in the vicinity. No (apparent) smooth locomotion options, only teleport with a seeming unduly short range.

I think I’d take the stock Sketchup Viewer app over this. which is saying something.

VR Sketch is head and shoulders above other the stock app or simlab. Your models also look just like, SU models with Profiles and Edges, The UI is much more like SU UI, and its fast. I know its not free but its definitely worth evaluating, for a small developer they have done a cracking job.

I used to use Kubity way back when I was just using my iPhone in a Cardboard type setup, don’t think its progressed much since then.

There are other option like Sentio but are expensive.

There is also Arkio which is excellent although there is an export step, which is fine if you are demoing to another party or collaborating, where as I tend to iterate design between desktop and VR prototyping within the same open file.

It would fantastic if SketchUp invested in their own app, SU models can look awesome in VR.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your input, since the idea we have in mind with the VR headset is to be able to show other people who are probably not too familiar with VR our designs, it is quite important to have an intuitive UI, so we may consider using VR Sketch for this purpose. Regarding the VR device, will probably go with the Q2 since it’s the one I’ve seen recommended by most people.

1 Like

Q2 is definitely good value and a good experience. I am looking at a QPro as it seems very well suited to ease of putting on & taking off regularly in a design session. As well as the vastly improved comfort. Although, Pico 4 looks very attractive, lightweight, vastly better optical stack than Q2 although software library and therefore support is not there yet. It seems to be selling very well.

1 Like

Have you tried other devices apart from the Q2? I’ve also read some posts about Samsung Odyssey+ being recommended. Price wise they are similar and that’s the budget we have for now. I am new to this VR world and don’t know much about it.

I have tried Q1 and Q2, Valve index, Reverb G2. There seems to be far more software options available for Meta/Oculus headsets. There is also the benefit that it can operate in PCVR or standalone mode.
The downside is that there is additional weight on the Q2 due to battery and compute onboard.

The Odyssey + is an old headset and discontinued I think. Q2 has better resolution.
If you are looking for a PCVR headset only, Then HP Reverb G2 is good device but Windows mixed reality, so not sure of app availability.

Personally, I would start with a Meta headset as this is likely to be the path of least resistance and frustration. It also has a great deal of software support.

1 Like

Okay, well thanks so much again for the input, it was really helpful, will let you know how the experience went once I get started with VR in Sketch up.

1 Like

Bifterx’s info was excellent but there is one more feature you might want to look at that he has insight into. The HoloLens Companion app allows others to view the AR scene from their computer. This feature is handy because others who do not have headsets (or don’t want to wear one) can still see what’s going on in AR/VR. In regard to collaboration, do you know which headsets/apps have screen/scene sharing?

I’ll add another “-” to the SU Viewer notes: I’ve consistently had trouble logging into Trimble from the app to get models. In my last attempt I also could not get into system files to find models.

2 Likes

yes, this is good info.

I also forgot to mention (duh) The Wild, which is platform agnostic VR / AR collaboration service, it is very, very cool. Participants can join collaboration sessions with SketchUp models, mood-boards, video etc, zoom integration. You can be in the same space via headset, desktop, iPad (AR window) and phone. Again, not free but can be very engaging. Its specifically designed for Architecture and design teams.

2 Likes

Yep - looks like Wild is spot on. Not free… but possibly worth it for the right team.

Beautiful projects on Artstation - btw.

1 Like

:pray: thank-you sir

Hi colin, I wanted to ask you about the plugin again since this is going to be decisive for purchasing the VR headset. I don’t know if you’ve ever worked with Keyframe Animation, what it does is allow you to generate videos from your models creating different scenes. Our idea is not to be able to see the video with the VR headset, but to jump between scenes to see each in further detail, do you think this would be possible?

Thank you so much in advance