SketchUp Viewer for Oculus Quest

Hello!

Now that the Oculus Quest VR headset is finally here I would like to know if SketchUp viewer will be available for it? I think I saw SketchUp as one of the launch apps but can’t find any info about this topic online.

I’d like to use it to present SketchUp Viewer for clients and the headset looks like the best option for a non-tethered solution.

4 Likes

Agreed.
We got a Quest for our design studio with the ‘hope’ of using right away… guess we will have to wait.
I also remember seeing SketchUp as one of the developers. Attached is a screenshot from the Oculus Connect 5 conference earlier this year…

2 Likes

Glad to hear from you both that the interest is there! As evidenced by the info that was shared at OC5, we’ve been discussing with the folks at Oculus, the possibility of supporting Quest. At this time, however, we do not have any information to share about timelines, etc. If/when we get close to a launch, I’ll make a note to revisit this thread in the event that you, or others might be interested in helping to beta test. :slight_smile:

In the mean time, I’d love to hear more from you about the sorts of capabilities you’d expect from a version of SketchUp Viewer that runs on Quest. In what scenarios could you see yourself wanting to view SU models on a Quest? How might those scenarios differ compared to the ways in which you might use the desktop VR version of our app? What sorts of models do you foresee wanting to open/view?

Please feel free to send along any thoughts, ideas, sample models, etc. to Mike at sketchup.com.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info!

I was looking at Oculus Quest because of its mobility, ease of setup and price. Looks like a good thing to offer clients to experience VR, but I don’t know if I can recommend it to clients just yet if there is no indications of an upcoming SketchUp Viewer app in the foreseeable future.

As for features that would be great to have:

1. Let users walk around the 3D space - Quest give a lot more freedom to walk in it’s restricted area;
  2. Allow multiple users to view the model at once;
  3. Allow multiple users to interact with the model - both headset users and SketchUp Pro desktop users. That could be things like adding annotations, highlighting specific points or even actual modeling (like with VRsketch).
  4. As there is no realistic real time rendering in the SketchUp Viewer, maybe allow users to load a rendered 360 panorama images and videos when clicking on specific spots like in many VR tour apps.

All of these features are already available in other VR apps, so it would just be good if SketchUp could catch-up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve played around with both InsiteVR and Kubity. Both have wonderful features regarding virtual walk-throughs, multi-user collaboration, jumping between saved scenes.
I’m not too interested in actually building/editing models within VR, but more excited on the immersive viewing experience.
It would be great to have a ‘VR Warehouse’, where you can insert objects that can be moved and manipulated within the virtual model using the Quest controllers; such as chairs, stools, glassware, etc… My company designs interior spaces and it would be great to download a chair (for example) and be able to pull it out from under a table or moving wine glasses and/or beer glasses in a bar interior.
I agree with Speaker… there are a lot of third party VR viewers out there, but it would be great if SketchUp caught up and created their own VR viewer app that is a free to Pro subscribers.

InsiteVR
Kubity

Hopefully, the SketchUp team is seriously considering this, because I would feel more confident in using a VR App under the SketchUp brand than using a third party app.
…Until then, our brand new Oculus Quest unfortunately sits on a shelf

1 Like

Mike, I have some sort of SketchUp Terrains equipped with data sculptures etc that I would like to “walk thru“ with the Oculus Quest. See attached shot.

Better look at this model for walking purposes. They exist als .skp files…

Continuing the discussion from SketchUp Viewer for Oculus Quest:

Hi Mike,
I also am interested in these VR capabilities. I work in the Art Department for TV shows and having the option of creating a walk-through experience with sets we build would be a great use in certain scenarios. I have an Oculus Quest that I’d like to use for this.

To reiterate some things I see already posted:

1. Walk through capability would be necessary
  2. Ability for others to either: view that experience on a monitor or even better, actually join the other person in the 3D space
  3. VRsketch isn’t totally necessary for our purposes but the ability to notate inside the model would be great.
  4. This would be gravy but in certain scenarios where we have projections or other digital media that we’re integrating into the model, this would so useful: “maybe allow users to load a rendered 360 panorama images and videos when clicking on specific spots like in many VR tour apps.”

Hopefully Sketchup can do this in the future, I certainly would use it now!
Thanks,
Rachel

3 Likes

Same here, can’t wait to be able to visualise my models in vr this kit seems the perfect fit for it to work

Hi,

I am just trying to configure Sketch Up Viewer for oculus quest.
I have Virtual Desktop sideloaded on oculus quest, works great with Steam VR : I can play some free games available on Steam…

So I have then install SketchUp Viewer VR.

When I run it, it is launch with Steam VR, I can see with my headset the white space with window asking me to connect with my trimble/sketchUP account. But I cannot see my controllers :cry: and without my controller I cannot do anything in VR.

It should have a way to fix this problem but didn’t find yet…Is there anyone who have the solution?

Thank you!

Pit

I guess this method doesn’t work because the controllers aren’t initiailzed in SU viewer VR when running from VirtualDesktop & Steam. There’s two layers of additional software on top of SU viewer VR the way you’re using it. I’m surprised you get a login window at all.

To view SketchUp models on the Quest I go this path: SketchUp → UnrealEngine → launch/package for Quest. Learning Unreal takes a while but after that, the possibilities are endless. Look for Unreal Datasmith to make the export from SU to Unreal easy.

3 Likes

Would you be willing to go into a little more detail about this workflow? Or pass on some learning resources?

I’ve used unity and sketchup just enough to make me dangerous. No experience with Unreal, but willing to learn. Getting sketchup models into the quest is very important to me.

Thanks!

Here are two videos to get you going;
SU → Unreal: IMPORT SKETCHUP FILES TO UNREAL ENGINE with Datasmith - YouTube
Unreal → Quest: How to Build for Oculus Quest using Unreal Engine - YouTube

If you already have a workflow going from SketchUp to Unity, and you know Unity a bit, why not look into exporting from Unity to Quest instead? Won’t be that difficult I guess.
Google-ing resuls in: How to Setup Unity for Oculus Quest Game Development - YouTube

1 Like

Everything SketchUp is down to Mike. In other places I have been pointing out that you can export glb from Sketch to get VR results.

Search for Storyboarder in FB, or reply if you need exact links.

We have had Samsung Gear VR hardware for 3 years and still no dedicated SU app to view our models on it? Instead we got SU support for $5000 AR hololens… great marketing perception there TRIMBLE!

Hi colon, if you could direct accordingly that would be great, thank you

Here is a video that was made in May, when the VR feature was being added to Storyboarder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVaBLYLT4c

Today he released an update that added IK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgSJfZ7ldiU

Hi ! Here’s the link for trying SENTIO VR - a Sketchup to VR platform that has a Quest app easy to install and view your models.

1 Like

SketchUp definitely needs their own VR application for the Quest. Here is the vision, I upload 3D models to my board and assign each a unique ID number & Password. I then ship Quest headsets to clients anywhere in the world, they put on the headset, open the app, type in the ID number + PW and bam they are in the 3D model.

Nobody needs to edit in VR.

3 Likes

Sentio, insiteVR, Kubity work. But they super expansive. Who in there right mind as a freelancer would pay more then the modeling software for a VR viewer. Only high end Architecture firms i guess.

Sketchup definitely neads a locat quest app. The most imortant thing is to support sterioscopic images. Flat 360 does not give you the sence of scale.