I haven’t used Keyframe Animation, but I don’t think it does stereoscopic, let alone VR. Would be worth asking them if that’s a possibility in the future:
Hi everyone,
Just a quick reply to say say hi and to let you know that I am watching this thread very closely.
It is very exciting to see continued interest from the SketchUp community around VR and immersive technologies. I am sorry that our current SketchUp Viewer application cannot yet fulfill some of your needs but it is awesome to see that solutions like VR Sketch from our amazing extensibility community works complementary to SketchUp and accomplishes some of the workflows you describe.
One comment about collaboration. It currently only exists as Beta in the VR app (not the HoloLens app) but we know it is challenging. This feature will definitely remain in our radar but it might resurface in a different way in the future that better integrates with the rest of the SketchUpverse ![]()
We no longer support HoloLens 1. SketchUp Viewer is available for HoloLens 2 with even better AR functionalities (like hand tracking, and expanded FOV) and it features the same companion mode that @3DxJFD described earlier.
Wrt other supported devices, SketchUp Viewer will indeed run on
-
All Meta Quest devices (Rift, Quest 1, Quest 2, Quest Pro) when linked via Airlink or Quest Link on a PC device.
-
HTC Vive
-
Any device that can run SteamVR on a PC
Do you still have the logging in issue? Have you tried to Deauthorize devices from your Account page?
What happened when attempting to access your system files?
Btw, it might be worth downloading and installing the latest SketchUp Viewer for VR version as there were some fixes (i.e. support for skp files 2021 and later)
Keep your thoughts and feedback coming.
Regards,
AK
Hi @Aristodimos - hope all is going well for you in the SketchUpVerse and beyond.
A bit of background… I reset my HoloLens 1 because the email account I had associated with it became inundated with spam! The people in the SketchUp customer service were able to change my main user account to the new email account. I had trouble actually finding the HoloLens 1 (legacy version) to re-download and reinstall when I reset the headset. This wasn’t that important to me since I had already determined that passthrough video (and controllers) was/were what I needed to solve the issues I perceived the HoloLens 1 to have. I used HP Mixed Reality Headset with controllers and an Oculus Rift with a Zed Mini stereo camera to test and confirm (to myself) that controllers and passthrough were what would work for my purposes. HoloLens 1 and the MR headset worked well with Unity and I was able to make some progress but the Rift + Zed was a dead end for me because the rift controllers had stations and even if I shoved everything into a backpack the meshes that the Zed Mini could generate weren’t as good as the HoloLens (and neither of those meshes is particularly useful for what I was trying to achieve). And I had focused on the MRTK Unity, so Oculus was another learning curve (so I ran out of time… winter here is my ‘learning time’). I guess that was a huge digression! Okay, so the Trimble login always fails:
The failure message isn’t very clear… but that’s okay… I can get models onto the device:
Forgive the weirdness… I was trying to make a maze/labyrinth out of a dog head to walk around in. Digression #2. The point is that I could get models onto the HL 1 so not being able to log into Trimble was okay.
Anyway, I did not explicitly try to deauthorize the device from the account page… but I would presume it was since I changed my main user account, reset the device, and reinstalled The HL V1 legacy app.
As another digression (my specialty!) I was never able to test the collaboration features because I simply never met anyone who was interested in testing the feature. It seemed like it would have worked:
I did download the latest SketchUp Viewer for VR version you linked. I don’t know without checking if that is different than what I have installed on my PC… and this is something strange to mention while I think of it: the Windows/MR version of the SketchUp Viewer did not work for me (and I was unfamiliar with SteamVR when I tried to use it fairly recently) so for whatever reason I installed the Oculus version and it worked with the HP MR headset (I gave the Oculus Rift and Zed Mini away and I’m not using the same machine). Maybe I wasn’t paying close attention and somehow the Windows version is what launched… but I switched to the Meta Quest Pro recently and the Oculus version of SU Viewer launches.
Long story short ;^): 1) I’m switching the Quest Pro so I’m not worried at all about the HoloLens 1. 2) I can’t fall asleep so you got an ear full!


