SketchUp for iPad is here (for real... finally)!

The beta (and wait) is over… we’re thrilled to announce that we’ve officially launched SketchUp for iPad!!!

For those of you with an active subscription, you are good. to. go! SketchUp for iPad is included in all of our paid subscription offerings. Simply install the app from the Apple App Store, sign in to the app with the account associated with your Go, Pro, or Studio subscription and you’ll be off to the races. For those of you who don’t yet have a subscription, you’ll see the option after you install and sign in to SketchUp for iPad to try it free for 7 days.

As soon as we started developing SketchUp for iPad, we felt that we had an opportunity to positively impact the lives of people around the world who create and communicate in 3D. When developing tools for something as personal as artistic expression, we knew we needed to get it right – and we wanted to let our users (you!) tell us when it was right. That’s why, months ago, we kicked off the most expansive beta project in our company’s history.

Your ideas, feedback, notes, and designs help us build better solutions for the challenges that you all face: the need to quickly explore early-stage concepts, engage in more collaborative design reviews with clients and colleagues, and generally reignite your passion for SketchUp and the many types of creative processes it supports.

Along the way, we made a long list of improvements to existing features and functionality and developed a big ‘ol pile of new capabilities that make it easier and more fun to create and collaborate in 3D, especially while you’re on the go. With SketchUp for iPad, you can:

Create in new ways. Sketch in 3D using an Apple Pencil, mouse & keyboard, or your multi-touch. No matter what you have (or don’t have) on hand, you can draw, edit, or mark up in 3D.

Create in 3D quickly and easily. Autoshape, is a new tool that auto-magically converts hand-drawn doodles into a wide range of 2D and 3D shapes, including configurable Live Components for things like windows and doors. We’re excited to see what you do with it, (and hear your thoughts about where it should go next)!

Mark up projects. Pick up the Apple Pencil and start redlining digitally with Markup mode. Even better, all your annotations are organized in Scenes so project stakeholders can reference them later. Create, edit and stack multiple markups in a scene – and have explore new workflows by projecting your hand-drawn markups onto your models as textures!

Work anywhere. Work online, offline, at the office, or on the go in SketchUp for iPad, SketchUp for Desktop, or SketchUp for Web. SketchUp for iPad’s deep integration with Trimble Connect means your projects stay with you everywhere you go.

Introducing SketchUp Go
In tandem with the SketchUp for iPad launch, we’re updating the SketchUp Shop offering with a new name and product offering – SketchUp Go.

SketchUp Go is our entry-level subscription offering, and with it, you not only get access to SketchUp for iPad, but you also get access to all of SketchUp for Web’s capabilities and Trimble Connect Business! Learn more about SketchUp Go.

I want to give a special shoutout to those of you who graciously offered your passion, enthusiasm, feedback, and support – @JQL, @OmarC, @RTCool, @MikeWayzovski, @ene_su, @colin, @Katya, @john_mcclenahan, @jasonwd, @hpr78, @marcodileo, @mariocha, @malkhammach, @Matt, @keith and @zeus – thank you so much for all of your time and effort helping us turn SketchUp into what it is today! Our users are our inspiration and you all have provided massive doses of inspiration while keeping us honest and pushing us to better. We are so very very grateful to you all!

Explore all of the highlights in our blog post.
Check out the release notes for the latest news and info about app updates.
Check out the Help Center to learn more.

Happy sketching!

18 Likes

Hi Mike,

I’m super excited for the SketchUp for iPad app. I was tinkering around with Autoshapes and I had a question. When you draw it, the components automatically insert with mm as the measurement scale. Is there a way to change it to an inch scale?

Hey Calvin,
Thanks for the question!
When modifying Live Component properties in Entity Info, you should see a little toggle switch labeled “Show units as authored” (see attached).
You’re right that the Live components that are generated using Autoshape were created in MM – so that’s what you’ll see when the toggle switch is on. When you turn the switch off, you’ll see that SketchUp will display unit values that match the default units of your model (which are configurable in the Model Info panel.

I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Hi Mike,

I screenshot what I’m seeing when I’m editing the door live component.

It looks like multi unit windows show that option, but single pane windows and doors don’t. Not sure why.

Thanks for the clarification Calvin – we’ll conduct a more thorough review of all of the AutoShape components to ensure that all of them include the units toggle. :+1:

This is an huge milestone for SketchUp! :clap:

Should we delete the beta version [latest] and install the final front he App Store?

I have been busy working and haven’t had the chance to look at the final rendition yet. Is Layout included or are we just drawing models on the iPad and then transferring them our computers to work on layouts?

The iPad version doesn’t have LayOut or Style Builder. You would normally be working on files that are saved in Trimble Connect, and so could open them on your computer. If you’re working on local files you can go to the Files app and AirDrop the file to your Mac.

The release version should install on top of the beta without any problems.

There already have been a few fixes made in the app, and a couple are in the works right now. The updates going live seems to happen quickly, you could wait for a day or so and get the latest fixes.

1 Like

So, is all the iPad Beta discussion open for public view now? Can I make this thread public, or does it take an admin to do that?

1 Like

Fairly sure the beta page won’t be opened up, for everyone to see the all the effort that people put into it! Which arguably is a shame.

Equally sure that @MikeTadros would be happy for you to repeat the tips about aspect ratios.

1 Like

There is always a potential risk to consider when deleting the app! Everything that is stored locally in the SketchUp app folder (including whatever SketchUp files are saved there) will be deleted when the app is deleted. iOS will warn you of this when you try to delete the the app.

That’s another good reason to get into the habit of saving your files in Connect.

Moved it over for ya, Robert.

1 Like

Does this mean that, from now on, we should use the official release instead of the beta? Or do they match and the beta will still be the place to go to check the new features before the official release?

You can check which version is installed in the ‘About’ setting and then compare it with the available version in the Testflight app.
If it is 1780, you won’t have to do anything.

I presume when a new (test) version is available you will be notified by Testflight.
If there is a new official version available, you will get notified by the Apple store in the notifications.

Right now, the version that is on the App Store is out ahead of the Beta (and includes some goodies that you’ll appreciate – for example: Markup Mode now projects markups as projected textures…)

Once the dust settles on the launch and we fix the fresh crop of bug reports that are rolling in, we’ll get back to the business of distributing betas through TestFlight to gather feedback on new feature development efforts.

That is a great improvement to that workflow! Thanks!

So, does that mean that we will have two apps? I’m beta testing another TestFlight app and I have two apps for the same software in my iPad. It’s a bit annoying to tell the truth.

It does mean that, yes. Sorry to say, but there’s literally no other way for us to do it. In part because of Apple’s App Store guidelines.

Do you think we can have two different icons for the app then? In Concepts the beta has been greyed out.