SketchUp for iPad is here (for real... finally)!

Not a bad idea! It may mean a totally new release though!

sketchup go didn’t save what i planned :frowning:
please pay for my time :))

I’m just kidding

1 Like
  • Closing the windows on the right is difficult
  • For example, if I zoom in with two fingers in the right view, the view moves to the parallel view.
  • When using the Dimensions tool, the small window is in a confusing place

I’ll fix myself:
That one-finger zoom works

The scale learn video random starts in the background

Hi Mike, how do I lock an object on the iPad?

Hi @aj1 – great question!

To lock something, select it, and then choose Lock from the Context toolbar overflow list.

To unlock something, select it, and then tap the unlock icon in the Context toolbar.

Thanks Mike. I was trying to lock a jpeg image and It doesn’t show the ‘Lock’ menu on the list when I click on the three dots. Is this not available to images?

It appears not… great catch! We’ll look into that.

As a workaound, in the meantime, you should be able to explode the image (at which point it will turn into a regular face), then select the face (and it’s edges), group it, and then lock the group.

You can’t lock an Image in the desktop version either, would be handy if you could.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks. I’ll do that

Hi Mike,

Will we getting access to extensions as well at some point or are these limited to windows?

@aj1 Correct. At this time, Extension Warehouse is available to users of SketchUp Desktop apps for Windows and MacOS.

I would love nothing more than to make Extension Warehouse available to SketchUp for iPad users. However, Apple’s App Store policies prevent us from being able to turn that dream into a reality. 3D Warehouse, Trimble Connect, Add Location, and other capabilities that offer access to downloadable Content are A-OK. Offering access to Extension Warehouse is prohibited, based on the requirements that any excitable code that users have access to has to be pre-installed and submitted with the app for review by Apple’s App Store folks.

Thanks Mike!

I have been using Sketchup over iPad extensively during the weekend. these are my immediate feedback.

You guys have done amazing job with the interface and how each tools are accessed. The apple pencil and the snapping is just brilliant.

However, I missed the ‘previous view’ tool quite a lot.

I also thought it would be great if we could easily lock/unlock a view that we are working on; by that I don’t mean scenes. the lock view should still allow us to zoom in and out; it would be like working on a 2d drawing momentarily. I am saying that because I noticed a lot of unwanted accidental orbiting that happened on the iPad which doesn’t happen on the desktop.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

Amazing job with SketchUp for iPad! I’m so impressed with the intuitive interface and overall performance, leaps and bounds over most of the other iPad modeling apps I’ve tried. Congrats!

Do we or will we have the ability to import 2D (like from AutoCAD) as we can on the DT version?

Thanks!

Thanks so much @valerieW for the kind words! We’re glad to hear that you’re enjoying your use of SketchUp for iPad thus far :grin:

We definitely understand the importance of offering a more robust set of importers and exporters, and that’s something we’ll continue to work on over time. We’ve got a nice chat about that going on over in this thread, along with some info about how to use either SketchUp for Web (if you have a Go subscription), or continue to use SketchUp desktop apps (if you have a Pro subscription) to import/export things in the meantime, while we continue to work on getting the iPad app to where it needs to be.

Something to keep in mind, some of the Ipad abilities would also be very useful in web and desktop for those of us that use a graphic tablet. In particular the ability to Orbit with your finger.
The web version is very limited for me as I normally use a space mouse and tablet and as you know a spacemouse doesn’t work with web. Activating ‘touch orbit’ would make web much more useful to me.

2 Likes

I’d really love to have a markup tool like this in desktop, for using with a tablet.

4 Likes

Loving SketchUp for iPad. For us I think it’s gonna be invaluable capturing room dimensions and sketching out initial design ideas.

Integration with Live Components is very exciting - but we have a huge number of our own Dynamic Components that we’d love to use with this. They already scale really well in SketchUp for iPad, but is there a chance of adding the Component Options window to this so we can configure them properly on the go?

Hi @SimonT I know this isn’t exactly the answer you’re looking for, but I thought you might be interested to know that we’ve just recently opened up an Alpha testing program that you can sign up for, to gain access to our new Live Component authoring tools.

The registration form is here: I want to create Live Components!

1 Like

Educate me - what are Live Components? Is that a new description of Dynamic Components?