SketchUp and macOS Sierra

Thank you for your help. looks like I’m stuck and have to pay $189 for 2017 upgrade.

Marc: SketchUp and macOS Sierra. Have I waited long enough for latest maintenance update? I see only one on Nov 17. Using SketchUp for business and can’t afford problems. I am still on macOS El Capitan and Sketchup16. I am willing to wait for next update if that is advisable. Please advise.

We have two known issues on mac that are ongoing.

1. On some Apple machines (mostly 5k iMacs, but an occasional macbook), there’s an issue with the video card driver that causes problems with rendering in LayOut.

2. SketchUp has never officially support case sensitive OS partitions, but SketchUp 2017 has worse behavior than before. (Most OS X installations are not case sensitive, so this is a rare one).

What machine do you have?

Thanks,
m

Marc:
Thanks for your reply

I am working on:
Late 13 inch
Retina 2013 MacBook Pro
OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
2.8 GHz Core i7 processor
16 GN 1600 MHz DDR3 memory
Intel iris 1536 MB graphics

PLEASE NOTE CURRENT CONTACT INFORMATION

Rick Fredman
Merrick Brent Fredman Architect AIA
6831 Main Street #214
Wilmington NC 28405

fredmanarc@mac.com
703-568-4171
fredmanarc.com

Hi Rick-

As far as we know, that video card should work with SketchUp and LayOut (i.e. does not cause issue #1 that I listed earlier). As a general rule of thumb, the known-issue video cards are in 5k iMacs and the newest macbook pro with touch bar.

If you proceed with the upgrade, please notify us if you run into any issues.

Thanks!
M

Thank you, Marc.
How can I send the BagSplat report to you? Is this to copy the contents of the report? At what e - address?

Nice days wishes
V

after you submit your BugSplat you should br taken to a page in your default browser…

at the top is a report number, copy paste that here…

john

BugsplatReporter is open, but didn’t open any browser window with report. You mean earlier, that, perhaps, it could be problem with ruby extension. What exactly extension could be missed? And what problem could be with bugs plat reporter? The same ruby extension?

Thank you in advice and will be wait for future solution.

I am unable to get to the warehouse with the newly loaded combination of Sketch (make) 2017 and Mac Sierra. The only option presented is “share model”
?

You may well see Share Component too. That’s because 3D Warehouse now has an entry on the Window menu. Use that like you used to use Get Models.

Colin,
Thank you! Since my post I downloaded sk 2016 and got access the old way. But all models I opened in sk 2017 were not backward comparable so your help really helps. Thanks again - Len

iPhone

hi there where do i download the sketchup 2016M2 version ?

SketchUp Product Downloads

SU 17, mac os sierra, AMD Radeon R9 M295X. I’m encountering a visual bug where if I change the transparency settings from faster to nicer, most of my model disappears. Note, all the parts of the model that disappear do not have transparency, the ONLY parts that remain visible have transparency applied. The ghosting around the transparent png objects does improve however, so it’s trying to accomplish the ‘nicer’ aspect at least. This problem is reproducible with everyone in my office. Please note the tips of the plants on the wood fence in the two images.

NOTE: The above post has been posted to it’s
own thread in the Technical Problems category:

I am sorry that I am not proficient in computer management. Here’s what I found in the files of Bagsplat reporter:

Last login: Sun Jan 22 22:43:04 on ttys000
UABs-MacBook-Pro:~ uabdiprintas$ /Applications/SketchUp\ 2017/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/BugSplat.framework/Versions/A/BugsplatReporter.app/Contents/MacOS/BugsplatReporter ; exit;
2017-01-22 22:48:07.359 BugsplatReporter[18072:734373] BugsplatReporter: initialize
2017-01-22 22:48:07.360 BugsplatReporter[18072:734373] BugsplatReporter: init
2017-01-22 22:48:07.360 BugsplatReporter[18072:734373] BugsplatReporter: fetchParams
2017-01-22 22:50:13.710 BugsplatReporter[18072:734373] BugsplatReporter: init failed
logout
Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.

[Process completed]

I found a solution in another section of the forum. Barry wrote that should be inserted this command in Terminal:
/Applications/SketchUp\ 2017/SketchUp.app/Contents/MacOS/SketchUp -DisableRubyAPI YES
It works! :)) But, if you turn off terminal, the Sketchup stop working.

Thank you for your help.

Marc:
Thanks for your earlier reply
I have delayed upgrading to Sierra until now
It appears that all is well
I am using the latest SU 2017 as of today
Is there an upcoming maintenance upgrade to SU that I should be aware of?
If so I can wait
Anything I should be aware of when I change to Sierra?
Anything that needs to be done after the upgrade?

I am working on:
Late 13 inch
Retina 2013 MacBook Pro
OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
2.8 GHz Core i7 processor
16 GN 1600 MHz DDR3 memory
Intel iris 1536 MB graphics

Thanks for the report. I am on the same hardware / OS as you and have stayed with El Capitan / SU Pro 2015 because of all the reported issues with Sierra / SU Pro 2017.

This gives me more confidence in moving forward with both updates. The fact that SU2017 is working well with El Capitan means that I can upgrade SU now and deal with the OS upgrade separately.

Reminder that it is not necessary to remove the old version in order to upgrade.
Different SketchUp versions can exist side-by-side on the same machine.