Sketchup 2016 - locking up

Logitech M325 - Driver Ver. 10.0.10586.0 That’s a Windows driver under HID-compliant mouse in Device Mangager. Just downloaded SetPoint from Logitech and paired with that. Now listed as Logitech HID-compliant Unifying Mouse. Before that I switched the Bluetooth receiver from USB 3.0 port to USB 2.0 as I read Logitech receivers don’t like USB 3.0.

Thank you! I think I remember there were some issues when the Bluetooth was conflicting with Network adapter. So I suggest checking in Device Manager for conflicts with Wireless & Bluetooth adapter(s).

I use a Logitech m570. Have used both generic MS driver and Logitech driver. The new mouse is a Logitech m100 with generic MS drivers.

I have tried EVERYTHING that was suggested. As mentioned, I performed a complete system maintnence and overhaul. This includes cleaning old amd unused apps or files, reg cleaning, defrag of reg/HDD, performance tuning of Win, virus scans, driver updates (where needed, but none was needed) The rig itself now runs a lot better.

My hardware is not flacky. I have a ROG laptop with i7 quad 64, 8GB mem, 1TB HDD, GTX 860m. My rig is designed for this type of work.

The lockups occur when simply trying to move the mouse, when panning, scrolling in or out, and sometimes when I am doing nothing (new mouse did that last night: went to have a break, came back 10 min later and could no longer scroll)

Im inclined to blame SU. It will bug out and I can close the app and begin to use Win or play my MMO and w/o flaw. I then stop using Win/game and open SU and within seconds it bugs. I have not encountered a Bug Splat error nor has my geometry bugged out.

The issue had occured outside of SU. Upon first boot of the day, the mouse can go buggy. It also happened once while playing the MMO. As mentioned, 99/100 times it happens while using SU. I have suspected that it can be the Win10 install and will be performing a clean install soon. But, the issue never occured in my system until it happened in SU. Ive used my rig for almost 2 years now and w/o flaw. I upgrade to SU 2016 and now I have issues; both within SU and Win.

So… I was using Win10 and SU 2015… and w/o flaw… The minute I upgrade to SU 2016, I have these issues. Coincedance? Perhaps. Something suddenly wrong with my rig? Could be. Something bugged in SU that affects both the app and Win? Quiet possibly. Win10 itself bugged? More then likely, but we know how that goes.

One thing that hasn’t yet been mentioned is your model. What file size? How many faces/edges (components included)? Do you experience lags with a new empty model (with only the scale figure or some other simple geometry)? If you have put 100 hours in a model I would fear/expect it to be rather big.

Anssi

Similar situation to Lopaka here. I ran SU 6 - 2014 Pro on a 7 year old work laptop running XP, same or similar mouse as described, second LED display NEC Multisync PA231W. Purchased new laptop with Windows 10, far better graphics card, and upgraded to SU 2016 Pro. That’s when the crashes started. I don’t have any crashes or lock ups outside SU. Also, for me, this is not a constant problem; it seems to happen more frequently with complex models. I use Layout, Blender, PS CC, Inkscape, and Lightroom on a regular basis with no issues.

True there are a lot of system variables to consider but I think we are both hoping it’s as simple as a mouse driver or purchasing a new mouse.

Still could try to lock up SU in safe mode before reinstalling Windows. If it runs OK, get log of running processes. Then try SU in clean boot mode. More drivers and stuff lode. If it locks then, get log o running processes. Subtract the safe mode process list from clean boot process list to get a list of suspects.

It’s a large model, 23 MB of a house sitting a lot size terrain.

I will do as catamountain suggested the next time I experience the situation and have time to perform the test.

For what it’s worth here’s my system error log from one night recently where I crashed or bug splatted about every 10 minutes on the model shown above.

Your model is not very big. The filesize might come from unpurged components etc. The errors in the log you posted are all networking-related. Is your network connection working as it should? Are you trying to use the same computer name twice? Both the IP numbers referenced in the errors are “internal”.https://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&ProdVer=5.2&EvtID=4321&EvtSrc=NetBT

Anssi

My wireless network works fine as far as I know. Nothing overly complex- just a couple phones. Browsers connect, Ext.Warehouse and 3D warehouse work properly. After some testing, The only time the NetBet 4321 error shows up is when I open SU. That’s why I had so many off them in the error log, I kept crashing and reopening. During the session that I logged I only had SU and Chrome running for fear of complications (didn’t matter apparently).

Could it be related to a third party, encrypted plugin (I use a few of them) that connects to authenticate? I’m not quite sure how plugins like that authenticate account information.

I’m way off topic, so please feel free to move me as needed.

My model is large… 1.18 million verts… Ive removed the large element and now stand at 9000 verts… All is working well. It appears the issue is the large amount of verts. Funny thing is that upon first encountering the issue, I removed the large element amd still had issues. I was also working with the entire model in SU 2015 and had no issues, regardless of vert count. And, still curious as to why this went system wide. At any rate, there still seems to be an issue here. What exactly that is is unknown. Ive worked with large vert count models in the past and never had the particular issue.

Materials are more likely to cause issues, did the item you removed have any large materials?

john

My textures are usually at 256×256… In the end, I reduce them to 128×128. I did have a few that were larger, but only used once and on a single face.

And yes, the over model is at 50 or so textures with the large element containing 40 or so.

Nope. The issue wasnt vert count or textures. I used SU earlier this morning for a few and it worked ok. Had played a MMO for the past few hours… and all is fine. I just now open up SU and within seconds it begins to bug.

The problem is SU. I rest my case. Please look into this ASAP.

I am using an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch 4 GHz Intel Core i7 and have recently had an issue with Sketchup freezing and getting the Force Quit Applications box come up. Once that comes up then it goes on to ‘pause’ all the applications I have open. I have rung Apple support many times and they have exhausted what they can do - any help appreciated.

What sort of model were you working on (number of edges, faces, materials, images, components, etc.) and what were you doing with it when you encountered the freeze? What kinds of extensions/plugins do you have installed (especially renderers)? Does the rest of the computer ‘pause’ before you force quit, or only afterward (that sounds like the OS is recovering from something such as thrashing due to too much memory used)?

Is that the ‘You’ve run out of Memory’ Popup?

I had it once last week and know exactly why it happened for me…

I was running a plugin that creates six section cuts on large multi scene models…

I ran ‘out of memory’ after running this on a number of models in a single session…

restarting SU between models helped to avoid this reoccurring, but re-starting OSX was even better…

john

This should really be in another thread. Mac and win10 don’t really mix.

I have just joined the forum , so not sure how it all works. I can post it somewhere else if you tell me how please?

very simple model, no components. 250KB! Same happens when running a 50MB model, so size not an issue. After Sketchup pauses then it goes on to ‘pause’ all the other applications that are open.

In my case, I have monitored the Task Manager while this is happening… There no spikes in CPU or HDD usage. Memory also remains stable.

I too have exhausted all resources.