Problems with 2020 new install

But the user’s Temp folder is in the Local path, so %AppData% is academic ?
Sketchup.temp_dir
C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Local/Temp

It’s the permissions for that folder that I question ??

I will send you a PM with some images…

All looks fine - just like my set up…
Most weird…
Anyone got a cunning idea ??

Like I said before, I installed it fine initially then something caused this error to pop up and now I’m stuck in the mud not being able to repair.

SketchUp works but the error keeps popping. I don’t know whether I have the balls to completely remove 2020 then reinstall again to see if it works. Maybe that’s a bad idea.

A cup of tea maybe?

I looked for any Temp folders during an install, and didn’t get any. Also, I don’t think the current installer includes any MSI files.

My thinking is that the exe file is somewhat like a zip file, when it’s executed various files get copied somewhere [Temp?] and the ‘installer’ MSI file is perhaps one of them.
I suspect that if you change the exe file’s suffix you could extract its contents and then ‘run’ that MSI file ??

However, I’m now unsure - there’s a proper MSI in v2019’s exe [and earlier], but not in v2020’s online exe…
So does the online version download the MSI when it runs ?

Use at own risk:

1. Fully uninstall all previous installations of SketchUp using Windows “Add or remove programs.”

2. Clean the Temp directory:
    a. In File Explorer, right-click “Windows (C:)” > Properties > Disk Cleanup
    b. In Disk Cleanup, check “Temporary File” and uncheck everything else
    c. Click OK > Delete Files

3. Remove any stray SketchUp MSI files:

a. Download MsiZap.exe.zip using this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oVmBga1I6H1clIRc4U04rlxQB_zubXmV/view?usp=sharing

b. Unzip the file, and note the path where the MsiZap.exe folder is located.

c. Launch a Powershell window as an Administrator; then run these commands:
PS> get-wmiobject Win32_Product | Format-Table IdentifyingNumber, Name | Out-String -Stream | Select-String “SketchUp”

d. If anything is returned by this command, then note the product codes (they are the values in curly braces {}).

e. Run this command:
PS> $msizap = “/MsiZap.exe”

e. Run the msizap command for each of those product codes (Include the curly braces in the command):

PS> & $msizap “TPG! {product_code}”

1. Delete SketchUp keys in the system registry:
    a. Type regedit in the Windows search box to launch regedit
    b. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > SketchUp
    c. Delete “SketchUp ” entries as needed
    Optional
    d. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    e. Delete .skb, .skm, skp, .layout, .style, etc. as needed
    f. Delete skbfile, skmfile, skpfile, layoutfile, stylefile, etc. as needed
    g. Delete entries in LayOut2020, SKB*, Sketch*, SketchUp2020, StyleBuilder2020, etc. as needed

Thanks for the detailed reply. This is the kind of route that bothered me, but I think I’m going to have to do it. I just don’t think now would be a good idea as I have 2019 running anyway and I need it, probably a job for the weekend. I did uninstall then reinstall 2020, and have it running successfully for the most part but I just don’t think it’s right with the file associations.

For example, I just saved this file in 2020 but it’s still associated with 2019. If I “change” the “opens with” 2020 doesn’t appear in the list and I have to dig through the PC to change it. But, then it doesn’t change anyway when I go back to it…

Also before when I had SU open and hovered over a SU FILE, that’s when the popup of my original problem would appear. It doesn’t do that anymore but I have 2x 2019 entries in the “open with” list. 2020 doesn’t appear there either.

TWO 2019

I’ll report back when I get onto it…

It’s the second of the two 2019 entries:

1 Like

Good to know thanks, maybe I do have a decent install this time then.

hi

this exact problem has happened to me too, but I think I figured it out

Sketchup 2020 looks for the sketchup2020.msi file to repair the installation everytime I delete the materials folders – in ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 20xx\SketchUp\Materials

(I like to have my own personalized folders in my own language, so everytime I install sketchup I delete the standard ones and replace them with my custom ones)

this was never a problem with 2019 or earlier versions, but with 2020 it doesnt allow me to delete or rename any of these folders, or else it will look for the .msi file to repair the installation, and that whole mess happens again and again…

I’m currently on 2019 just because of this problem… is this going to be fixed?

1 Like

NO … because you are putting your materials in the application’s resources location.

Put your materials in …

%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Materials

… and leave the %ProgramData% folders alone.

SketchUp will automatically enumerate your resource subfolders of all kinds in …
%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/
… each time it starts. And your subfolder names will appear in the resource inspectors (ie, Materials, Components, Styles, Classifications, etc., etc.)

2 Likes

You are right it is fixable, but not by the SU people. The fix is by the user and it is simple. Put your folders etc in the My documents folder. Set the file preference to point to the location.

1 Like

The Files preferences control where save dialogs open, not what user folder is enumerated for the Components collections.

Part of the reason I take the position is the fact the My Doc,s folder is on a common backup path.

It may be possible to use a symbolic link to trick SketchUp into enumerating your “My Docs” folder.

The main problem is that if you have multiple versions installed there will wind up being multiple versions of component files. There was a crash bug in some older versions when they try to insert newer version component files.

If your only always running the latest SketchUp version, this won’t be an issue for you.

Did we come up with a fix. I’m have this exact problem installing an update. Not brave uninstalling the ‘old’ version in case I can’t reinstall it.

I have the same problem the dialog came up every time when i just click or double click sketchup file, uninstalling and reinstalling cannot fix this, the repair option did not work (reinstalling and repair option run as administrator) and show the dialog as shown at the first post which is the missing the sketchup2020.msi.
The default app setting on window10 could not changed to SU2020 after reinstall.

I upgrade SU2020 from SU2017, so there are 2 versions on my computer. Is this cause of all problems?
If I need both of them, Buying another license could fix the problems?

The two installs are totally independent of each other. You can continue with no worries.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.