Problems with 2020 new install

NO … because you are putting your materials in the application’s resources location.

Put your materials in …

%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/Materials

… and leave the %ProgramData% folders alone.

SketchUp will automatically enumerate your resource subfolders of all kinds in …
%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/
… each time it starts. And your subfolder names will appear in the resource inspectors (ie, Materials, Components, Styles, Classifications, etc., etc.)

2 Likes

You are right it is fixable, but not by the SU people. The fix is by the user and it is simple. Put your folders etc in the My documents folder. Set the file preference to point to the location.

1 Like

The Files preferences control where save dialogs open, not what user folder is enumerated for the Components collections.

Part of the reason I take the position is the fact the My Doc,s folder is on a common backup path.

It may be possible to use a symbolic link to trick SketchUp into enumerating your “My Docs” folder.

The main problem is that if you have multiple versions installed there will wind up being multiple versions of component files. There was a crash bug in some older versions when they try to insert newer version component files.

If your only always running the latest SketchUp version, this won’t be an issue for you.

Did we come up with a fix. I’m have this exact problem installing an update. Not brave uninstalling the ‘old’ version in case I can’t reinstall it.

I have the same problem the dialog came up every time when i just click or double click sketchup file, uninstalling and reinstalling cannot fix this, the repair option did not work (reinstalling and repair option run as administrator) and show the dialog as shown at the first post which is the missing the sketchup2020.msi.
The default app setting on window10 could not changed to SU2020 after reinstall.

I upgrade SU2020 from SU2017, so there are 2 versions on my computer. Is this cause of all problems?
If I need both of them, Buying another license could fix the problems?

The two installs are totally independent of each other. You can continue with no worries.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.