Orbit heavy lag with Mac OS X 10.11.4

The only problem is that you cannot downgrade to OS X 10.11.3 since there’s no way to uninstall the 10.11.4 update and also you cannot install SketchUp 2015 since it can’t be activated after we upgraded to SketchUp 2016. So as I see it we’re kinda stuck waiting for a fix…

I am running 2015 just fine. Along with 2016. I can launch both at the same time.

Yes, as long as you don’t uninstall you can continue to use the older versions. But if you remove the previous versions like I do when you upgrade then you can’t reinstall them since your machine will be considered as “new” and activation will fail.

From SketchUp Knowledge Base:
“After you authorize SketchUp Pro 2016 you cannot authorize SketchUp Pro 2015 on any new computers. However, you can continue using SketchUp Pro 2015 on any computers that you’ve already authorized.”

Just weighing in to say that I’m also having this problem and would love a fix besides doing a downgrade.

The Orbit drags really slow when using the wacom. If I switch to my touchpad it’s smooth as it always was.

@Marc I’m having the same problem. Can SketchUp support authorise those of us who are directly affected to re-install 2015 until a fix is forthcoming? This would be really helpful.

1 Like

Today Apple gives e new 10.11.5 release: what will happen now? Do you at Trimble tested SU2016 with it? Should we update to the new OS release or waiting for your fix to SU2016?

Regards

Just installed the OS update… 2016 still choppy.
Wacom is unusable.

2015 still works just fine.

Sigh! This is one of those asymmetric situations wherein the number of people affected is too small to get much attention from Apple or Trimble, but to those of us who suffer the result it is nearly a show-stopper. Any model with multiple scenes is now painful to work with on my Mac. Surely somebody must know what was changed between 2015 and 2016??

Something changed on both ends in 2016. The last El Cap update broke something, but Trimble changed something from 2015 to 16 as well. So it is likely a combination of factors that is causing this to happen.

I’m surprised this isn’t a bigger problem for many?? My guess is that there are a LOT of Macs out there running the latest OS X and SketchUp 2016.

But maybe it depends on what graphics card people have? I have read many suggestions where disabling hardware acceleration in SU2016 made the problem go away but in my case it made the general performance of SketchUp really bad and made models look terrible.

So apparently it’s not an issue for all OS X 10.11.4 / SU 2016 users (???).

I ended up re-installing my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.11.3 and the latest version of SketchUp Pro 2016 and everything is back to normal.

Can you roll back the OS without having to reinstall all your files from a time machine backup?

Seems there are two ways: OS X 10.11.3 and SU2016 or OS X 10.11.4 and SU2015. I fell in the problem updating from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4, using SU2016 and solve it going back to SU2015, keeping OS X 10.11.4. So, what about now that Apple gives 10.11.5? Is there anybody out there, as brave as I am not to try updating?

Regards

I updated to 10.11.5 and though there are no new issues I have seen, the orbit lag is still there.

Hi all-

The SketchUp and Apple teams are still working on this issue… driver conflicts and graphics issues can be very challenging to find & fix.

If you would like to go back to SketchUp 2015 until this is fixed, but are blocked because of license issues, please contact our Support Team to make arrangements.

-Marc

Yogesh just reminded me that SketchUp 2015 technically doesn’t support El Cap (OS X 10.11.*), so switching to SU2015 may carry its own set of issues.

For a review of the possible issues, see this thread:

If it’s an option, the recommended solution remains to be using Time Machine to revert your machine’s OS to 10.11.3

Thanks,
Marc

@bmike No, unfortunately not. I had to backup my data and start again using an OS X 10.11.3 media. I don’t use Time Machine but that would have been an easier option.

Dear Marc, I can assure you that SU2015 and Mac OS 10.11.4 work great: no sort of issue, even working on over 200MB projects with more than 20 scenes, components self made and from warehouse and textures bigger than 10MB. The matter born, as I wrote more than a time in this post, when I upgrade from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4, using SU2016. Many other people talked about this, so I think is that the way you have to investigate.
Thanks for your attention

Regards

Agreed. I’m running the current OSX with 2015 and have no issues. So something got tweaked between 15 and 16 and it has been affected by the Apple update.

1 Like

Well I just upped my service contract / update fee for $120. Hopefully thats enough extra $$ for Trimble to figure this out… while I continue to use 2015 for all the heavy lifting.

But I really miss the inference features of 2016.

SU2015 just became my emergency go-to solution, not to drive myself mental lagging away in SU2016.

Thanks for the tip!