Orbit heavy lag with Mac OS X 10.11.4

Marc will know best, but I also spoke to Wacom today and they confirmed that there are a number of problems for multiple softwares, Photoshop, etc… that they hope to fix in the next driver release, which hopefully will be within a few weeks, though no commitments of course. Hopefully the new driver will help us out as well, currently Wacom has no other suggestions, it’s just broken with 10.11.4 and .5

1 Like

Downloaded the latest Wacom driver. No luck :(. Thanks for working on this Marc. I understand it’s a hassle to track down. A fix would really be nice.

1 Like

too bad i didn’t find this forum before i brought my mac pro into the repair shop!

i am running sketchup 2016 on osx 10.11.5 and am definitely experiencing some serious
lag with orbiting. also noticed the offset tool lags as well. not using my wacom tablet helps
as well as deleting scenes as suggested. right now sketchup 2016 is unusable for me.
when my computer gets back from the repair shop i will try running SU2015.

thank you all for your input, this thread has been a huge help.

Well,
because the solution to this bug seems far to be solved, I guess we can only downgrade to SU2015. In order to do that, is necessary to delete SU2016 license before type the SU2015 one? I fortunately have a copy of the 2015 version on another Mac so i copy and paste to the usual one were is installed SU2016. Unfortunately when I type license codes the software tell there is incorrect. How can I solve? Is somewhere available the SU2015 installer?
Thanks in advance for reply

Andrea

Hi Andrea

From SketchUp Knowledge Base:
“After you authorize SketchUp Pro 2016 you cannot authorize SketchUp Pro 2015 on any new computers. However, you can continue using SketchUp Pro 2015 on any computers that you’ve already authorized.”

This means that the 2015 version you have on the other Mac will continue to work because it was installed at the time you authorized 2016 but since copying the 2015 installation to another machine will count as a “new” installation you cannot activate it.

/Kristian

I have Sierra on my laptop in the Knowledge Cafe at 3DBasecamp if anyone wants to see if that fixes it.

Hi Guys! New to this forum, so bear with me. Interested in reading your comments on the “Obiting lag/extrusion problems” etc. I’m at present using a Mac mini running Yosemite, and of course that is fine. But I was hoping to purchase a 15 inch MacBook Pro to upgrade, but that only comes with El Capitan (10.11.4). I think I need to wait until this gets sorted? Does anybody know of a way of loading Yosemite onto a new mac (as the days of install discs have long gone!)

Are people seeing this who HAVEN’T installed a Wacom tablet driver? Has anyone tried uninstalling the Wacom tablet driver to see if it helps?

Library/Application Support/WacomTabletDriver.app
Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext

You could also sign up as a Mac developer and download Sierra and see if it helps. I can’t repro this, so I can’t test it.

ps - I just downloaded the driver, and it was updated 6/2/2016. Has anyone tried that version?

I removed Wacom completely and there were more than two files…

It wasn’t for the same problem, but it did help…

john

Yea, those are just the drivers… I don’t think the others would hurt if they’re not launched, and in fact would probably fail if the kernel extension and driver weren’t there. I guess you could look at what processes are running to confirm there’s nothing else loaded.

I don’t think it is Wacom related. I used the uninstaller and watched processes and didn’t see a change.

For me:

3D Connexion space navigator works fine
Trackpad or mouse (mouse over cable USB) is choppy.

Delete scenes and things seem fine.

I’m working (and presented at Basecamp) in 2015.

@Barry I don’t think it’s Wacom related either. I have never used a Wacom tablet or had drivers installed and I see the problem on two Macs running either OS X 10.11.4 or 10.11.5.

I use a regular corded Apple mouse on both machines and never experienced any problems until upgrading to OS X 10.11.4. I was running SU2016 on both machines prior to the upgrade and didn’t see the orbit lag then.

The only solution I found, since I can’t reactivate SU2015, was to reinstall one of the Macs to OS X 10.11.3 with SU2016 and then ignore all OS X updates.

/Kristian

Same here. I have a mid-2012 mbp retina, no Wacom and no space navigator, just the touchpad and a Microsoft wireless mouse. Any model with multiple scenes suffers lag and jump.

Hi Barry. I should have been more specific in my earlier post. When I said that I’d downloaded the latest Wacom driver, I was referring to the 6/2/2016 driver, so yes I have tried it… It looks like other people are getting this issue with some other peripherals besides the Wacom.

Here’s another thread where mouse users are getting the issue:
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64566

@misternige, @bmike (I saw your YouTube video / reaction, thanks) and others,

My € 0,02: I’m using a rMBP late 2013, Wacom driver installed, no lag problems with SketchUp Make 2016 whatsoever. Everything is running almost perfectly smoothly. Not doing anything fancy like with layers or heavy, just testing a 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator 3D mouse and a simple object.

The only thing I noticed is that, using the SpaceNagivator to make the complete scene including objects turn around it’s blue / vertical axis, doesn’t work correctly when the view is turned just over 180º over the top. I’ll make a separate post about that though.

Make a scene in your model and see if the smoothness stays. And try the mouse and trackpad. The Space Navigator has been smooth in my use.

Are you running the latest OS X?

Speaking of 10.11.5? if so, I can tell that there are same problems as of 10.11.4…

Yes, absolutely.

@laptopleon: Cool. Glad it’s working for you. I wonder what’s different about your setup from those of us that are having problems? What Wacom are you using? Do you orbit using the Wacom? I have one of my buttons set to Middle Button which triggers the orbit. If I orbit using the Wacom I have deadly slowdown. If I orbit using the Mac trackpad it’s fast and smooth as butter.

@supersmanf: I’m definitely getting it on both 10.11.14 and 10.11.15 myself. Also with the newest Wacom driver.

I downloaded the 2015 version in the meantime. Hoping for a fix.