File Size and Not Responding Message

You can set up a keyboard shortcut if you want to type something. :smiley: I have one setup for TIG’s Purge All.

intrigued.

Where do you set up these shortcuts

Window>Preferences>Shortcuts.
Screenshot%20-%2011_6_2018%20%2C%205_18_15%20PM

Thanks

1 Like

File size is a very poor indicator of model performance.
Focus upon model complexity.
Primarily, how many edges and faces.

A 24.6 MB file is nothing remarkable.

It’s the rather stupendous amount of geometry that’s killing performance.
29.20 million Edges
12.38 million Faces
Model%20Info_Statistics

It’s wise to download models from 3DWH as separate files.
Open them and clean them up before bringing them into your model.

Notice the stage component from 3DWH (definition name: SAM555) contains 1000’s of hidden stray edges.

There’s a tremendous amount of excess geometry in the trusses of the stage.
40 segment circles are overkill. 12 segment circles or even 8 segments would suffice.

1 Like

Thank you Geo, I am learning a lot from you folks. Also, trying to see about the market out in the world for folks with previous stage/lighting design experience. If anyone comes across things like this. That would be nice to know about.

For your interest…
http://www.modtruss.com/

I still can’t open the model, but I’ll pass along some info shared by others who have managed.

As noted, you have a vast number of edges and faces in the model, and a great many of them are unnecessary. Most likely, as mentioned earlier, they are things you downloaded from the 3DWarehouse without checking the appropriateness of their detail.

A couple more specific examples that @Geo didn’t mention:

• there are reportedly about 10000 chairs in the model, and each of them contains considerable detail. It isn’t even possible to create a view of the model in which you can see those details in all of the chairs! You could get by with much simpler models for them. Only if you need to zoom up very close to some chair(s) would you need the detail, and in that case you could use the detailed chair just for the required ones.

• It seems that the coaches and semi-trailers contain things such as interior details. Again, will you ever have a view of the model in which it matters that such details are simplified or even eliminated?

1 Like

It struggles to open directly.
The model was saved with the old Architectural Design Style as the active style.
Therein, the unnecessary eye candy; endpoints and profiles, all but guarantees poor performance.

Importing the model into a new empty file with only essential style settings in place helps.
• Monochrome
• Edges
• Faces
… and every thing else off.

1 Like

steve, importing into a new model in wireframe is quickest…

immediately ‘cut’ chairs layer and split to another model…

I got it down to 18.6 MB cleaning the coaches and chairs…

the trussing could do with attention as well…

john

1 Like

1 Like

Ha! Looks like this piece doesn’t follow the ‘number-one-alpha-rule. I will hunt those responsible down, all though the intern in question might be retired, by now.:smiley:
These models were made more then ten years ago, so there might be some quirks left. But they are ‘lean and mean’ I think that layer is one of them!
The internal geometry is not needed, but intersecting and deleting would increase the edge count even more😃

There are dozens of ways to improve SketchUp performance covered by many of the community below abd by sketchUpEssentials on YouTube. I shall try to help in a methodical way. First, start with Windows graphics and background programs. Eliminate background programs, especially your wifi card which shares your CPU with its constant pinging. I use Windows Mobility Center (Superkey+X) to switch off the wifi card when I’m into serious CAD. I only switch it on again momentarily for downloads and uploads. This behaviour also makes it difficult for malware trying to invade your system. I then use sysinfo to eliminate non-Windows background programs. My laptop is a samsung so I also leave Samsung background programs alone. Use Classic Window styles. Set your graphics card to “high performance” and make sure SketchUp uses it.

Turning to SktechUp itself, definitely use engineering styles during the development of you model and only switch to the more exotic style at the end. Some styles will DRAMATICALLY slow you model down. Use “material resizer” to keep texture sizes low. I have found many models where 50% of the file size is due to just one texture. When developing your model, avoid high polygon props, such as flora. Use component proxies and “reload” your desired prop at the end. Use bevels rather than round-over. Ninety percent of the time I use 12s circles rather than the default 24s. With smoothing turned high, it is very difficult to tell the difference and it can dramatically speed up you model. I use geodesign spheres where I can (“place shapes”). Use face-me props where-ever (people, fences, cladding) shadows are not important. Frequently purge you model. Get your props from 3D Warehouse “propcollection”. These are size-sorted props allowing you to select the most appropriate prop for your model background and foreground situations. Use monochrome during development and only switch to full textures when needed. Ditto outliner. Keep your installed extensions down to the minimum. Eliminate seldom-used extensions using. Avoid extensions that ping the internet.Minimise 3D text usage and only use a low polygon text.

1 Like

This topic led me to refine some of my personal model analysis Ruby snippets that analyze the individual contributions of items to the edge and face “weight” of a model. The code starts at the top level of the model and aggregates counts of items found within each Entity there, working down into nested entities until no deeper nests are found.

Thanks to the helpful ideas of @john_drivenupthewall and @Geo, I finally managed to load this model. Here are my conclusions:

I found that the overwhelming culprit are the instances of “Folding Chair#1”, whose 9908 instances contribute a total of 27306448 edges and 12256196 faces to the model (!!).

Second place goes to “Off Site for Heath.dwg#1”, which contributes 1525482 edges and, most likely because it was imported from CAD, no faces.

A distant third place goes to “SAM555#4” with 242414 edges and 82626 faces.

1 Like

I question this. While it may be true in other CAD programs (I don’t know, I don’t use other CAD programs), Sketchup isn’t multi-threaded, so it only uses 1 core while most personal computers these days have a minimum of two cores - often more. In this situation, WiFi status shouldn’t affect SketchUp performance.

One core for creating and manipulating geometry…

and as many others as it needs for other tasks i.e. graphics, web dialogs, toolbars, etc…

I often have all cores maxed out when only using SU [ but, that’s writing and testing code ]…

john

Mmm I very sketpticsl of your theory. I found in practice by leaving the internet connection open, cookies take over. Besides that, no core can work entirely independently of the others without some overheads.

I stand corrected.