Components don't appear in "Component Option" Window

Hi All,

After i created a component in sketch up 2015 it doesn’t appear in the “Component Option” Window. It always says: "no component selected, select one or two components to view their option.

No matter what i do, i can select the component but it won’t appear in the window. I don’t have this problem in the “Component Attribute” Window. There i can select the Component and it will show up.

I hope somebody came across this issue before and can help me out.

Cheers,

Simon

It needs to be a Dynamic Component, and have dynamic attributes that the user can change.

I’ve been getting similar errors. The Component Options dialog does not update when I select a DC.

It’s not consistent and i am not sure how to reproduce the problem.

Try to select a DC with the Ruby Console open. Here’s what I get:

Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `deleted?' for #<Sketchup::Model:0x00000006d6e240>>
c:/users/jim/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcclass_overlays.rbs:200:in `block in pull_attribute_tree'
c:/users/jim/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcclass_overlays.rbs:200:in `delete_if'
c:/users/jim/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcclass_overlays.rbs:200:in `pull_attribute_tree'
c:/users/jim/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcclass_v1.rbs:216:in `block in show_dialog'
SketchUp:1:in `call'

What DC version is installed on what version of SketchUp ?

I have DC version 1.3.2 running on SketchUp Pro 2015 x64 M1.

Weirdly, the EW has DC version 1.3.1 for download ?

@DanRathbun,

I am using the most recent version of SU Pro Windows x64. I have version 1.3.2 of DC’s after installing the version from the EW. So the EW page needs to be updated to show version 1.3.2

Someone assumed Sketchup::Model is a subclass of Sketchup::Entity, and inherited a “deleted?” method.

The code needs to use the “valid?” method, with a not modifier.

DId you find a solution?

sad, but still the solution

1 Like

You know this thread was 6 years old. The SketchUp Team has long since fixed that bug.

Dynamic Components extension is up to version 1.7.0 now.

Unfortunately, that bug exists in my Sketchup 2020.

1 Like

It could be a regression bug sure.

Do you have any unicode characters in your username, that would appear in the %AppData% pathstring ?

Are there any foldernames in paths that the DC might use that begin with “u” ?

Does it happen for all DC component instances ?

If not, might be one of the attribute names. Ruby uses a backslash for escaped characters.
See File: literals.rdoc [Ruby 2.5.5]
If there were "\universal\something" … in a double quoted string, Ruby thinks it’s supposed to be a unicode character sequence. So be sure there are no backslashes in attribute names.

@colin Do you know if this has been fixed yet in DC v1.7.0 ?

Most of what you ever say is beyond me. What is the least amount of information you can give me that I can then check for what is not working?

See Yogesh’s post …

… and my post, same thread …

EDIT: Actually same thread, last poster confirms the bug has not been fixed yet.

@allusernametaken, the bug that was fixed I believe is the one where the model object has no #deleted? method.

So the only thing you can do is avoid folder names that start with any of the special escape characters I list in my post linked above.

@colin @DanRathbun
It happens only when I open up Components Options window w/o any component selected on mac OS. If I select a component first then open up the window, there’s no bug.

it happens to all of my components and files on mac OS. I just need to close and restart Sketchup if I forget to have a component selected when opening Components Options window.

Does it specifically happen (or not) to the DC Training components that ship with SketchUp ?

BTW, I don’t see it happening on Windows edition with DC extension ver 1.7.0.
But weirdly another user on Windows reports it happening.

You never actually answered the question of whether any of the folders in the component path, the component filename itself, or your user path folders begins with any of the control characters.

not sure what you mean by the DC Training components that ship with Sketchup. But I started using Sketchup last month and noticed this last week. I deleted the extension and re-installed from 3D warehouse. but still happens.

No control characters.

“Out of the box” the SketchUp Components inspector panel looks like this …

These are two folders of sample components that “ship” with SketchUp.
(You can navigate upwards using the droplist to the right of the house icon.)

If you choose the latter, you see a listing of training components.
I just tested using the “Cafe Table”, and I did not see what you described.

Ie … I inserted an instance. Then switched back to the Select tool, and clicked empty space to clear the selection. Then, opened the DC Options dialog.
I then selected the Cafe Table instance and the dialog was populated with option attributes as expected.

You mentioned restarting SketchUp and then the dialog works as expected.

Is this a new blank model that you restart into when it works ?

Or do you double click on a .skp file in finder to restart SketchUp ?

I realized what you had asked now. The \u issue normally only happens in Windows, where it is very easy to accidentally name a file starting with ‘u’, and the \ comes from the Windows path. I am sure that is still a problem.

On Mac you can make the same error happen by starting the file name with ‘\u’, which it seems is a legal filename, that happens to trigger the same Unicode related problem.

So, no, it isn’t fixed.

I went back to read the original post, and yes, what you say seems to be the case. Opening Component Options when a component is already select (any kind of component), gives you a working window for the rest of the session. Opening Component Options when no component is selected, gives you a non-working window for the rest of the session.

There is one thing you need to do to make sure the problem happens. First open Component Attributes, then open Component Options, and now select a component. The attributes change to show the change, but options doesn’t. If instead you open those windows when a component is selected, both windows work, and both update when you select a different component.

I found that there is a bug report about this, and it was being looked at again because of more recent reports. I am linking this post to the bug report.

1 Like