Bring This Bridge To Life

I just set up your model with some basic sun lighting and exported a png, I do it a lot for repetitive text on curved faces…

if your object faces more than one direction, you can save more images from each direction…

by using 3d Text for the image it doesn’t standout out stylistically…

I also did a rendered version and baked in some sheen, but I didn’t save it…

john

I’ve done that same thing for random reasons, but rotating the 3D text and intersecting it with the model, etc., took about 25 minutes. In Word, it was about 2 minutes and another couple of minutes to create a doughnut and import and paste the image. In the early 90s, I used CorelDraw which had a really nice “Fit Text to Path” function (which apparently still looks about the same today).

It would have been nice to see it :frowning:

SketchUp is refusing to fill in this simple rectangle I’ve drawn, which is to be a part of the lifeboat support strap:

I do not understand what the issue is. I’m also losing patience rapidly with SketchUp’s continually giving me grief over things like this.

Can you copy the boat into a new file and upload it so we can see what you are doing.

Lifeboat.skp (1.1 MB)

Done.

It’s not a simple rectangle because the four edges aren’t coplanner.
If you draw a line between the corners you’ll form two triangles.

Hi Box.

Yeah, I figured it was because of coplanar fail, but…how??

Drawing the rectangle into 2 triangles solves it, except for when I go to delete the hypotenuse it un-fills.

Not sure how I screwed up a simple rectangle…

Hold ctrl with the eraser to soften the diagonal not remove it.

Yes, but when I go to extrude it it’ll be a cured surface and won’t allow me.

Then you need to redraw it as a rectangle.
Try using the rotated rectangle tool.
It would also help if you used groups and components so your geometry didn’t all stick together.

I’m a messy modeller, I guess.

I was gonna make the entire ferry piece one huge component once it was done.

Like I said way back, you are making things too hard by not using the tools available.
Your Davits for example should be components so you only need to draw one, the pullys, ropes etc too. Grouping geometry as you build it is the best way to work.

I’m sorry.

I suppose I should learn how to use groups.

You commented earlier about uber gurus doing things fast, take the time to learn properly and you will be as fast and we won’t keep going over the same problems.

Right…

So I was posting about how a rectangle was refusing to fill in.

You asked for a .SKP file to demonstrate the problem. I uploaded one.

And now you’re berating me because my davits and pulleys aren’t in groups.

When I run into a stubborn rectangle (for instance), do you suppose I maybe try to frig around with it for awhile first?

You tried to tell me way back that I needed to shelve my project and learn how to do other things first, and I countered by saying I was learning as I went with my model project.

Jesus H. Yeah, I don’t group my ■■■■. I don’t lay it out all nice and professional-like. I use Notepad.exe to help me make notes on measurements as I go, and if I draw something and it looks wrong, I rework it.

Sorry for not being a professional 3D modeller. Sorry I don’t do this the way YOU think I need to do it.

Sorry for bothering. I won’t anymore.

You’re taking my input wrong. I’m trying to help you make it easier.
Don’t stop bothering people. We are here to help.
But there can be limits when advice it ignored.

If anything I will stay out of your thread as you seem to take me the wrong way.
Good luck with it all and I already agree early with someone when they pointed out how far you had come.

I’ve almost completed my model.

All that is left is to tackle the terrain, which I have begun.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B02B7rLNxpCTT0hwOHd3ZmxQR2c

And yeah, I know, I didn’t component everything. It works and that’s good enough for me.

Back to my corner I go.

1 Like

I’m very soon - probably within 2 weeks or so - to finish this monstrosity up.

Terrain is in place; it doesn’t look bad, but it doesn’t quite accurately reflect the real world thing.

Still, I’m pleased.

Now, I don’t dare to even try to draw trees and shrubberies, so I might have to import that stuff from other people. My friend says it’s cheating, but whatever.

I’m probably gonna purchase the Pro version after this as I’m ultimately pleased with this program, despite the snags along the way.

1 Like

Who knew trees could be 1.4 million polygons? Yay.

1 Like

You’ve come a very, very long way in only 15 weeks :slight_smile: