Bring This Bridge To Life

Apparently I’ve contracted cellulitis as a complication from edema.

I have high blood pressure, and so I guess I scratched an itch recently and boom! Infection city.

Hmm. My ex-mother-in-law had a pretty bad case of cellulite.

-Gully

I suspect that’s not the precise same thing.

Basically I’m supposed to place myself in traction for a week, take my antibiotics, then go back next week and follow up with the doctor.

What, no pain killers?

Are you going to be able to operate your computer while in traction? You could kill a week on cleats and davits and street lights and so forth standing on your head, or hanging by the ankles, or whatever.

-Gully

I’m finding it impractical to put myself in traction, so I’m just gonna do my best to manually raise my leg.

I’ll be at the computer.but taking breaks from it until the infection goes down.

Okay, no word of a lie.

I had a nightmare where I was inside of SketchUp, working on my model trying to build the ferry.

The thing suddenly came to life (a la Transformers) and attacked me.

I woke up screaming.

Might take a bit more time off.

These antibiotics are messing me up, man.

Alright, back in action.

I realized the curved pole th- I mean, davits - were spaced much too far apart. So I moved them closer together and began giving shape to the lifeboat shell.

Is this thing still on? [taps microphone]

Was just wondering how to inscribe lettering onto a ring, a la life preserver?

Would I put it on an extruded rectangle piece and then curve it somehow?

Check out @Box reply from another thread:

Not quite what I meant, or am I simply not bending my mind in the right direction?

Imagine the ferry, be the ferry…there is no ferry. Hence, the bridge.

What?

Anyways, behold:

The life rings, they have the words “ST JOSPEH ISLANDER TORONTO” on them, was just wondering how to accomplish this in SketchUp?

See this thread for more on how to do this: 2D Text around a circle?

[added] I generally explode the text and then group each letter and then use @Geo’s approach to place the letters around the circle. I pick a size and then as I start putting them in place, I quickly see that they need to be larger or smaller to space things in order to come out evenly. In the case of your life rings, you can import an image (even if it’s fuzzy) to help get the size of the letters without too much trouble.

I’m liking @Geo’s suggestion the best, but it looks like it’ll involve doing each letter/digit individually.

It doesn’t really take that long … you might even be able to use this one from the warehouse:

to keep the file size down, I made an image from Jim’s and painted simple geometry…

here’s a skp to show the concept…

lifering_png.skp (286.1 KB)

john

1 Like

Good idea … I can never seem to model anything with fewer than 10,000 polygons :wink:

BTW, @MikeO, here’s one that’s getting away:

That’s probably the one that fell off the ferry.

So should I import that one?

Also, that moment where ultra-guru experts come along and do in 19 seconds what would probably take you 30 hours.

I think that @john_drivenupthewall has the right idea. Strangely enough, when searching the web for some way to generate curved text, I learned that my copy of Word already has the ability to do so. Using a screen capture from Word and importing it into SketchUp gives this:

I think I would use this one instead:

life_ring.skp (232.0 KB)

I occasionally scroll back through the 278+ entries in this thread and will (once again) make the observation that you’ve come a long way in only 9 weeks. The more you play, the more you learn :wink:

Looks like my last reply was the straw that broke the camel’s back :wink: