Asking for help designing

Hi! im new here and wanted to check if it is allowed ask for help. Working on a project and need a aluminum profile. ive tried making it myself but to complicated. anyone who can help me?

I think it’d be okay for people to help as long as they aren’t doing your homework for you. If you have a specific question about what’s making it difficult to draw, then that’d probably be okay. Do you have the plans? Is it just too many dimensions? Or is there something specific you’d like to learn how to do in SketchUp?

If it’s for work, then collaboration is probably allowed. You could probably pay someone to model it for you or maybe someone would be willing to do it for fun. Who knows? I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be allowed, unless it’s your homework.

I sent you a private message.

Hello @Lingvarion and welcome to the SketchUp User Forum. Of course you can ask for help. That’s the main reason for this online community.

Even though you are new, I suggest you try to do this yourself. Developing a profile as a 2D shape is pretty easy if you approximate the shape using simple lines.

1. Make the shape a component (not a group in this case…I hardly ever use groups for reasons not germaine to this discussion).
  2. Copy the component.
  3. Scale the size of the copied component by a factor of 100 and save it.
  4. Edit the newly saved component by tweaking the connected lines to modify into curved segments to resemble that shown in your illustration.
  5. Make sure that the 2D profile forms a closed surface (face).
  6. Now you can push-pull this entity into a 3D form.
  7. Delete the enlarged component copy.

The original will reflect the changes but the scale will be unchanged. The process referred to in steps 2 through 4 is known as the Dave Method [named by a Sage called “Box” for the guy (also a sage) who responded just before my post] and is frequently used by SU aficionados for similar kinds of modifications. It is important to scale up the component size because SU has a problem modeling very small incremental units and upsizing eliminates that issue.

Actually it wasn’t named by me, I just wrote a tutorial for it using that name because it had become a common thing to search for.

Sorted and sent.:smiley:

A hybrid of a couple of similar but different extrusions.

When manufacturers of profiles have .dwg or .dxf files, and you import them, the profiles are usually not very useful in SketchUp, due to the high number of loose edges.

There are some extensions that can help you to convert these profiles into one curve and get low(er) polygons:

Here, I use Weld to combine all the edges to one curve and then Simplify Contours to reduce the edge-count:

redrawing some edges to get a face requires some additional welding for smooth surfaces:

but real power comes from an extension that lets you create libraries filled with profiles in no time:

Profile Builder 3…

progress:

onced placed on the right spot and direction, you can select all profiles and create assemblies!

file: profiles.skp (2.3 MB)

Curves tracing

Hi,

I can help you with the requirement, I have sent you Skype request please add me to explore and analyze our skill set.

It was finished business last night.

Hey guys!
Thanks for all the replies. Got some great help last night!

/Simon

Or just ask right here, and have you-know-who do your work for you. It happens daily :slight_smile:

If that you-know-who you’re referring to is me, then yes. I drew it for him but I also used it as a teaching opportunity and showed him how to model it and work with it in a live screen share session.

Absolutely. Your teaching methods are excellent, not only for those asking, but for those observing. :smiley: