You are using Sketchup Pro on too many machines

I read that to move SketchUp Pro to a new machine, all I had to do was sign out on the old machine, download SU on the new machine and then sign back in. But after doing this I get an error message that says “you are using SU on too many machines”. How could that be? I signed out…

I found the answer and did a de-authorize all in manage my subscriptions. Another question however,
why don’t I see the classic license? All I see is the annual subscription

That page you saw is just subscription products. Classic licenses are shown on a different page.

There is an oddity where if you have signed in with 2019 and 2020 on the same machine, it counts as two sign ins. Normally you should be able to have SketchUp installed on each of your computers, and then make sure you’re only signed with one or two SketchUps. Now that deauthorize all gave you a fresh start you can sign in on a different second machine.

I could argue that that should be referred to as ‘bug’, but I would rather see a more general ‘Sign out’ in the AMP, regardless of what account, product, etc.
A simple section on the left with 'Your Devices" where you can see what devices that Trimble ID is using/has used and options to sign out per device:

2 Likes

Ok guys, I have read all the threads on this issue I think. I have deauthorized all on everything included in SketchupPro. I have kicked everyone off of our subscription, and added them back. We’ve all signed out, signed back in, done the hokey-pokey and turned ourselves around. No “fix” is working. We are not able to use our full subscription at this point, and its not effecting our ability to do business. Please send help. Need to get things to clients today.

Only the person who sees the message needs to do anything, and in the account management page they would only want to deauthorize devices for SketchUp Pro. You as admin, or any of the not affected users, won’t help affected users.

affected users keeps changing. we are actually testing this now and I have a user that can log in on two machines. He’s logged out from one as this was a test. Now admin can’t use Sketchup and I can’t either. Can you please just call me? This is a really poor platform for resolving issues related to license lockout. We have literally done every method you guys instruct folks to use.

512-827-2439

Hello,

Same problem here.
I am subscribed to Sketchup Pro, just downloaded Sketchup Pro 2021, and am told I use SketchUp on too many machines. I had just uninstalled 2020 a few minutes before (and restarted in between), and there’s no other currently logged in machine.
I tried multiple times to un-authorize all devices in my on-line account, tried it with different browsers, but no effect, the problem is still here.
So right now, I cannot access SketchUp anymore…

Can you help asap please?
Thx
Thomas

…allright, no idea why, but trying again a few minutes after my message, tweaking absolutely nothing and without restarting the machine, SU 2021 now launches fine.

Does the Un-authorize command need a bit of time to propagate?

1 Like

*grabs popcorn

I’m a bit paranoid of going back to the office because of all this - both home and work machines are desktops

It shouldn’t take any time, but you do have to close SketchUp and open it again, or sign out and in. Either way should immediately give you the available sign in, it doesn’t refresh while you are looking at the too many sign ins message.

One thing to know, the uninstalling of 2020 did not free up its sign in. That’s a change that was made with 2021, if you uninstall 2021, it does attempt to sign you out.

1 Like

Totally agree with you.

Trimble should make it easier to resetting each device separately instead of resetting all devices at once.

1 Like

There’s definitely something wrong here. I came back to my office for the first time in more than a year to have a go at working there again. I had the “You are using Sketchup Pro on too many machines” message when I installed SU2021 on the office computer. Manage Devices > Deauthorizing all machines did not change the message that was presented to me on the office desktop.

Luckily, I brought my laptop with me, and signing out of SketchUp on my home laptop allowed me to sign in on my office machine. If I hadn’t, I would have had to go home. I certainly can’t keep doing this in future, not knowing if my machine at the office is going to work or not depending on the status of my home laptop.

I thought the license allowed me to install Sketchup on two computers, but with the situation as it is, it doesn’t pragmatically and reliably allow me to actually use it on two computers. And I am not using it at the same time either, although my home computer may be on sleep with the SketchUp app open (will that mess things up too?).

I know subscription models with their sign in systems are difficult to make both secure (for Trimble) and reliable (for the user), but I would expect it to give the user the benefit of the doubt and be more permissive - for example, allow a user to be signed in on two machines at once, to allow a scenario where a user has left the SketchUp app open at home.

You can be signed in on three ‘devices’ already, even if the EULA allows for two active ones. It might have something to do with the renewed Sign in procedure that was introduced a month ago conflicting with the cookies on the machine that where older than a year.
The state of the machine doesn’t have impact, it would only prompt you to sign in again when trying to save or restart.

The ‘Device’ part is confusing, it counts log in’s in different versions (2020, 2021) as one device each.
There is also Mobile devices, like phone or tablet and then you have glasses as well (hololens, Oculus).

Even when you have bought multiple seats, you can not assign more than one seat to an email address or Trimble ID.

I have just updated my PC to sketchup 2021, I can sign into Trimble OK but get a screen saying ‘You are using SketchUp Pro on too many machines. Please sign-out from another machine, or manage your activations below.’ I only have 1 machine, 1 user on my account and have logged out of everything else on my PC ?? I can still run 2020 no issue ? Can some one help me arrrrgh

The issue is that I am signed in and the "You are using Sketchup Pro on too many machines” message comes up. I have no issues actually signing in.

Today, I am working from home and now I can’t use Sketchup on my home laptop after working on my office computer yesterday! Again "You are using Sketchup Pro on too many machines” message comes up, and “deauthorizing all” machines does not work. I didn’t bring my office computer back home this time…

I have emailed customer support.

I feel for you - the best you can do I think is contact support: https://help.sketchup.com/en/contact-support/billing-question

I have found a solution to my specific problem. I am on Mac OS with two accounts both using SketchUp Pro on the same machine (I have two jobs, and this is how I separate them). Signing out of my second account on my computer allowed me to sign in on my first without the error coming up.

It turns out that being signed in to SketchUp from both accounts on the same computer, in the licensing system’s eyes counts as being signed in to two separate computers. This wasn’t the case in the classic license days.

So this is the bug. The EULA clearly states that Sketchup can be installed on two computers/devices, and doesn’t put a limit on how many user accounts it can be installed on those two computers. So that needs correcting to recognise this situation.

The workaround for now is to sign out of my other user account and I will just have to sign out and in as I switch accounts on the same computer.

The issue still remains where “deauthorise all” just doesn’t work.

It goes a little further, officially, as a person you are not even allowed to have more than one Trimble ID!

But, as we see often, people end up with multiple Trimble ID’s and have issues logging in with the ‘correct’ one already.
(I have created around 30 Trimble ID’s, for fun and testing, personal and company accounts, btw)

If it is prohibited, make it easier to merge Trimble ID’s, I would say…

The entitlement system can only assign one plan per Trimble ID, that’s why you’re always restricted to the ‘signed in on two (with one spare) policy’ and if you try to change the account owner to a Trimble ID that is owner of another plan, you get an error.

I doubt any of the SketchUp support team has influence on the ‘Way Trimble transforms the way it works’:grinning:

I am having this issue where it says the same thing except I bought a new license and even in the “Plan Settings” it shows there to be an unassigned license. I show to have 1/2 seats available, but I cant get it to authorize on the computer I am on. This is beyond frustrating and just another reminder of how Trimble has made their interface more clunky and frustrating as time goes on. I dont have a serial number, dont have an authorization code, but I do have an available seat I just paid 300 dollars for the year for and no way to use it on this computer. Ive signed out, restarted, rebooted, uninstalled, re-installed… same old same old.

It doesn’t matter how many seats are available in your plan, a Trimble ID can only have one.
Each Trimble ID may be signed in on two (but can on three) ‘devices’ (each version of SketchUp counts as a device)

You can manage these devices (reset them) by going to ‘
‘My Products ‘ on the left, then click ‘View Included applications’ and then on ‘Manage devices’ in the SketchUp App.

Once reset, you still need to sign out in SketchUp itself and back in.

For the AMP plansettings, it is now enabled for automated payment for two seats.

Who else uses SketchUp?