Workspace tray frozen

Like many companies, Trimble employees are working from their homes right now due to COVID-19. If you put in a service request, someone will get to you as soon as they can.

This is the first time I’ve seen that you’ve mentioned that you are using a Surface Pro. Check to make sure that the graphics card drivers are up to date. Do this through Intel, not through Windows.

what model Surface Pro do you have?

i have the surface pro i7 with 16 gigs, i’m checking my graphics drivers now

intel says i’m up to date…sheesh

You do know that integrated graphics such as the one you list from Intel are not recommended for use with SketchUp, don’t you?

It could still work but as this stage you need to check everything.

no, i didn’t …been running fine with my sketchup 2017 for years…why all of sudden would it not work? My computer is a monster, i’m an exhibit designer and have used this guy with all of my creative suite AND sketchup running big files for years…

Graphics requirements have changed over the years and so do the graphics drivers. Windows is notorious for pushing broken graphics drivers for integrated Intel graphics chips when they push operating system updates. While your computer may be a “monster”, the GPU isn’t that high performing for OpenGL graphics-intensive applications according to the various benchmark sites out there.

so, i can’t use sketchup 2020 on my computer?

I didn’t say that. You may be able to use it but you need to sort out where the problem is with your hardware first.

Sorry, are you with trimble? I really appreciate your assistance, I’m just not sure if I’m talking to their help person?

No. Like everyone else who has been trying to help you, I’m just a volunteer. We don’t get paid by Trimble to do this. We are just interested in helping users like you get things going.

ok, thanks so much …i very much appreciate it…i just misunderstood…i

What pointing device are you using, have you plugged in a mouse or are you trying to use the touchscreen?

Hi Anssi
I was using my mouse but I’ve tried everything. I’ve tried unplugging everything, restarting everything, etc.

I strongly suspect it’s some kind of preferences file that I can’t get rid of. I installed it on another computer i have here and it works fine. It’s a nice fresh new tray and default settings.

But everytime i reinstall it on my own computer it picks up the same trays…even if I start with a fresh document. So i keep trying to completely delete the old files but it isn’t deleting the preferences. Ya know? I think it was when I added some extension called fredo curviloft. I got rid of it now but I’m stuck with this weird bugaboo. Driving me nuts.

I keep googling stuff about how to delete the preferences files when you de-install.

thanks for trying to help.

I guess i’ll just have to wait for Trimble to get in touch. I can’t find a phone number and I’ve tried to reach them in multiple ways

thanks,

Lin

As I wrote 4 hours ago,

Some of the folder
locations:
App Data: local
App Data: Roaming
Program files
Program Data
In the registry: HKEY_Current_User > Software

The settings for the tray layouts are in the "PrivatePreferences.json" file, that is located at path:

%LocalAppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/SketchUp/

With SketchUp closed
Open a File Explorer window, and paste the above path into it.

Make a backup copy of the "PrivatePreferences.json" file!

Then open up the "PrivatePreferences.json" file in a good free code editor …
(like Notepad++ or MS Visual Studio Code.)

FYI a JavaScript Object Notation object begins with a name (in quotes) followed by a colon (:) and then attributes enclosed in { } (curly braces.) Each attribute is separated by a comma. An attribute value can itself be a nested JSON object.

You don’t need to delete all the objects. (Ie, you likely want to keep the list of “Extensions” and where webdialogs were positioned.
So, scroll down to the objects that begin with the substring name "Workspace\\Trays" and delete only those objects.

Make sure that the last object you don’t delete, does not have a trailing comma.

Now, if editing a JSON file sounds to complicated for you, … then just rename the "PrivatePreferences.json" file to "PrivatePreferences.json.bak" (or similar,) and restart SketchUp 2020.

1 Like

Now i’ve done all of this…I still have this frozen tray …I’ve now spent literally days on this. I’m getting out my tissue and pencils and hand drawing now. I don’t have time for this without nuking my computer entirely

thanks for trying everyone…I just really need to do some work to save my job for now…

I can usually stumble through something like this but this is horrible

thanks again, stay safe everyone

Lin

View > Toolbars > Reset Toolbars.

Realize this is an old post, just gonna throw this one out there, though. Had the same issue. Reset, repaired, reinstalled with no results. Somehow never thought to reset the toolbar. Think one of my plug-ins was faulty. Sure all you smart people probably already tried that first, though.

1 Like

Tray is the things on the right, and toolbars is the things along the top. Did you have a case where the tray was frozen, and resetting the toolbars fixed the tray?