Using OBJ files in Sketchup

I’m new to OBJ files.
I have been given an OBJ file which I’ve imported into Sketchup using the SIMLAB OBJ extension.
I’m trying to figure out if this is useful to me, and how I could use it.
The obj file comes from a Matterport 3D scan of a house.

What would I like to do…?
I’d like to be able to use this file in place of having to physically visit the site and measure it.

I’m not sure where to start with the OBJ file. IS anyone using OBJ files and then turning that into geometry in Sketchup?
Any tips or reading you can offer?

The file can be downloaded from here if anyone wants to check it out.

Start by importing that OBJ file.

Once you’ve imported the OBJ file, you have SketchUp geometry. It comes as a component with a lot of raw geometry inside (edges, faces, materials, UV map)

// edit

You also can use .XYZ file instead of .OBJ file. I converted the XYZ file to an .e57 file using CloudCompare

I then opened that point cloud (14 million points) in SketchUp using Scan Essentials

// edit 2

Modeling and dimensioning over the point cloud

1 Like

Depends on the purpose of the measurements. Mesh models (.Obj files) aren’t very accurate. You might be able to get close enough for trim LF, wall/floor SF (with overage).

You could import and draw ‘average’ geometry by which I mean making ‘best fit’ rectangular ‘walls’, floors, etc.

You could also use the “colorplan.pdf” which looks to be scaled. It might be easier to work with.

There is an .xyz file in the folder and it does contain points. Those can be imported using ruby code. Might be more than you’d want to get into.

1 Like