Heard about Sketchup in Lumberjocks and it sounded like a good tool for planning out projects. I downloaded Maker 2017 version and have gone through some tutorials. However, I still feel like I must be doing things the hard way.
Seeing some of the sketches people on here are posting, I’m kind of embarrassed to even ask a simple question like this, but one thing I am struggling with is how to draw an object that’s an irregular shape. For example, I want to create a piece that’s 1/2" thick, 9 1/2" long and 4 1/2" high with a 1/4" wide and 1 1/2" high “cutout” on each side of the bottom.
From the tutorials I’ve watched the steps seem to be:
- Draw 1/2" by 9 1/2" rectangle
- Select the rectangle and “Pull” it to height of 4 1/2"
- Rotate object so I’m looking at it from end. At that point it looks like a 1/2"x4 1/2" high rectangle.
- Draw a line to create new “face”.
- Push the new face in 1/4".
The thing I’m struggling with is how to draw the line 1 1/2" up from the bottom. What I’m ending up doing is drawing the face by drawing 4 lines to make a 1/2"x1 1/2" rectangle and then pushing that.
I’m sure there is a simpler way, but I can’t figure out what it is.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.