SU Outliner 2023 seems different

updated to V23.0.419 64 bit

• didin’t fix the problem.
  • still renaming groups willy nilly.
1 Like

I can confirm. Quite disappointing this hasn’t been fixed. For people using an Outliner based workflow with named groups this is a deal breaker. Back to working with SketchUp 2022. Just to be clear, its the second problem in this post we’re referring to SU Outliner 2023 seems different - #9 by maxB
edit: removed the drama

See the Release notes for the changes.

I upgraded to 2023 last week.

I have the same problems listed above with Outliner; to summarise,

1. shift + highlight the 1st and 10th items in a list, does not highlight the full 1-10 range, only one.
  • very frustrating when one has twenty components to work with and cannot just group them. Has to be done manually, one by one.
  • VERY occasionally the highlight does actually work! Like one time in twenty. I cannot find any logical reason why this is, nor can I replicate it at will. Believe me I’ve been trying to see if there’s an order of key operations which I haven’t picked up on.
  1. the weird thing where it changes the names to Group. Described well above by others.
  • massive bug, totally broken.
  1. double clicking an Outliner field now no longer goes straight to ‘Rename’. To rename one has to right click and select from the menu.
  • perhaps minor in the context of the above bugs, but really not good. At first I thought it was a revised feature, perhaps in response to user feedback, but given the above bugs, I now just think it’s broken accidentally.

I appreciate this is probably an issue caused by Windows.

I also see there’s a patch Su2023.01 which others say worked for them, I will give it a try and report back.

Some luck doing this:

1. Select 1st item, press shift, select last item. If all items aren’t selected, continue to press shift, then select the first item again.

2. Look at Groups to double check that they haven’t been renamed, “group”. If they have, ctrl + z to undue and replace names.

3. Use a quintuple click to rename. May wear out your mouse button but this usually works.

1 Like
  1. Not working for me I’m afraid.
  2. Yeah been doing that already.
  3. Had worked this out as well, but 9 times out of 10 its easier to right click and select Rename.

Can’t see any sort of solution here, am going back to '21 there was honestly nothing wrong with it anyway, was just worried I’d be missing out on shiny new improvements in '23.

The only complaint I had with Sketchup 21 as a whole (along with many) is that menus in the Outliner stay expanded when it’s not useful. That’s not solved in '23 just a load of other problems.

Feel bad as no doubt developers have put a lot of work into creating '23 but after having used it all week, I honestly couldn’t tell you a single thing that’s different, other than the bugs. Watched Sketchup Essentials review just there and seems none of the improvements are relevant to my usage anyway. Perhaps handy to change curve radia but that’s once in a blue moon. I have a good extension for flip already.

Will keep an eye on this forum and see if anything else comes up but pretty underwhelming.

I waited several months before beginning to use '23.

It’s fluky but with a Component select and then Group selecting with shift+ it usually gets it going for me. If it did not I would also switch back (still have 22 installed).

Have you closed and reopened the tray? I’ve done that a couple times when the tray seemed frozen.

My guess is that some of these changes have to do with Trimble Connect Web (Models and Layers) and maybe setting up to use TrimBim files. Dunno though.

Good luck!

Im still using 22 but obviously need to switch to 23 at some stage to stay compatible with certain plugins. Would you say 2023 is now okay for your purposes?

Cheers

I’m switching over to '23.

The main way I have been using Outliner in '23 is to Group Components (so everything in the Model is a Component and they are Grouped in the Outliner as I go). If everything is tidy as I go, I have fewer problems. Here’s an example that I recently made - with a little mess but mostly nested Groups and Components… and I don’t recall a big hassle as I went.

But the issues are real. I watch to make sure things aren’t renamed (or ‘un-named’) to ‘group’. If that happens I just undo it.

I click into groups and components a lot so clicking 5 times to name Groups as I go isn’t an issue for me. I also sometimes use a double or triple button which is handy for other things anyway.

There is something to selecting the Top Level Components and then selecting Groups… so if I try to shift select and that doesn’t work I’ll select another (usually higher level) Group or Component and then shift select again (not a good explanation but you can get the ‘feel of it’ and select what you want).

*This example also has a point cloud…

I too am having this issue and it has preventing me from using SU 2023

Hello
Little reminder shot to bring up the post.
Outliner renames the groups on its own, as soon as you select non-concomitant groups in the list using the CTRL key. :rage:

I tried making an extension to help with some of these problems. The unwanted group renaming can still happen, but it is easier to name groups with a prompt since you don’t have to click a bunch of times.

I think that anyone who says is this is ‘no big deal’ is under-clubbing the issue. This is a HUGE deal, and I’m dealing with it every day. The Outliner has been one of the core navigation tools for SU from the beginning, and is a huge “click-suck” now. Does the dev team not even use this tool?
The other major issue of the renaming is also a huge issue, especially when one is building complex models that feed other models or Layout. MAJOR bug.
Inadequate new feature implementation is one thing. BREAKING something core to the workflow is another.

3 Likes

I’m likely an outlier, but I never use outliner!

1 Like

I agree that the quintuple click and sudden renaming to “group” of previously named groups is not so great. I created a toolbar extension to solve the problem and create a better workflow.

When components are selected, you click the “Group Namer” button. A group is created and a prompt appears with an input for the new group name. Press “enter”, done. This promotes naming groups when they are created, and side steps using the normal ‘create group’ → LMB 1 (x 3) (or 5) times in the group name field of the new group in the Outliner.

There is a link to it in the post above yours. I have not heard any feedback but it could be a work around to take the pain out the Outliner glitches.

That’s also great about SketchUp, it allows many different workflows.
I really can’t do without the Outliner. So stuck in v2022 until it gets fixed.

2 Likes

I’m also not using 2023 because of the changes of Outliner.

2 Likes

Just tested SketchUp 2023.1. Disappointing, the issue is still not fixed.
230914: also tested 23.1.319 (installer 2023-1-319-110). Same.
231011: tested 2023.1.3 (installer 2023-1-340-117). Same.

2 Likes

I waited to download 23 to work out the bugs but the outliner is still not working properly. Shift+click doesn’t work; can’t explode or group things directly in the outliner without clicking into whitespace and tapping spacebar, and it’s glitchy so occasionally I’m losing my selection. Also the outliner doesn’t jump to the selected element anymore. The messaging here seems to be that either the product was immature, the beta group isn’t sophisticated in how they operate the software, or the outliner is being discouraged as a tool, none of which are encouraging to contemplate.

3 Likes

I completely agree. If it’s not broken, dont fix it. Outliner is one of the main tools for BIG projects. I work on interior design and it is my main “go to” tool in Sketchup for organizing and turning “ON/OFF” things. Without that I’m blind.

1 Like