(SOLVED?) Sketchup Make 2017 Freezes at startup with Graphics card

In the Nvidia control pane 3D application settings, have you checked that SketchUp is set to use the Nvidia card? This is how I have it set up ( your graphics card is a speed monster compared to mine):

Automatic selection does not work here. Windows directs automatic display driver selection to use integrated graphics.

I don’t know how many times I have posted these images…

Anssi

Yes, I have set the program settings for Trimble Sketchup to run with the (High-performance NVIDIA proessor) and that is when it doesn’t work…it does run with the integrated graphics on my i7-4720HQ CPU.
I can run and use sketchup on my PC… just not with my NVIDIA GTX 960M …

Grrr…

Do you have any 3rd-party plugins/extensions installed? Ruby environment changed. Quite a few plugins need to be updated to work.

Didn’t install anything but Sketchup Make 2017…no plugins.

Had the same problem with Sketchup 2016

Downloaded and ran Sketchup Checker and it passed all tests… but Sketchup doesn’t run (With my GTX 960M)

With SU attempting to run, see if you can view active, running process through your antivirus program (I can r-click on it’s icon in my taskbar > Control active processes.) Is your antivirus program trying to block SU?

Same problem without any antivirus software running… I doubt that could have anything to do with it anyways as SU opens and runs just fine with my integrated graphics… it’s only when I try to run with my NVIDIA 960M that the issue rises. The program looks like it is loading up but as soon as I try to click anything it goes (not responding)

Doesn’t hurt to rule it out. SU has been alienating my antiviral program for years.

Trying to run SU17 in a clean boot state limits background processes while still being able to use the Nvidia driver. It’s an isolating troubleshooting state that easy to set up and then restore normal mode with a checked box and restart.

Let’s step-back a few paces…

Can you close SketchUp, then reinstall it.
Find the installer exe icon [or re-download it, then find it].
Select it and right-click > context-menu >
Run as administrator…
When prompted choose to ‘Repair’ the installation…
Afterwards try SketchUp again…

It is NOT sufficient that you might have full admin powers as a user - it MUST be installed using the exact method outlined above.

If that approach fails, then you could try a full uninstall - followed by a fresh ‘Run as administrator…’ installation…

teddy: shot in dark but, you when getting the not responding note see if you can start task manager, down at bottom of page look for resource monitor, select that , make sure you have the processes tab sleeted at top of page, check the running processes and note if any are showing red. Some times things freeze because one step needs to be performed before another can start. Any showing red you can run a wait chain analysis and see if it is waiting on some thing to finish. Hel will tell how to set that up. Long shot but ??

Uninstall/reinstall > r-click run as administrator was done in post 4. Intel graphics chipset runs SU fine.

[quote=“catamountain, post:18, topic:34322”]
Uninstall/reinstall > r-click run as administrator was done in post 4.
[/quote] BUT the OP never said he had done it !
Just backtracking to where perhaps the balls-up began…

Catamountain,
I tried the clean boot and was able to run SU with my Nvidia GPU… still not sure what was causing it tho… have re-enable all services and a few of the startup programs(there’s about 18 startups that I left disabled because they’re unnecessary)

So, now that I have it running on the Nvidia card… I see no noticeable difference in performance. everything is pretty smooth til I view in Walk mode… then things display at a low frame-rate when moving around.
Is this normal or should it be nice and smooth? It’s bad enough to almost make me dizzy

@TIG, there’s a sentence in post 5 about doing it - hiding in plain sight. This problem was annoying.

@teddrandrll, now more more homework, How do I make SketchUp run faster. SU has to re-render everything in the workspace every time the camera moves. How smooth this process goes depends on what’s going on in your file - raw geometry, Style settings, textures,

By any chance did you keep a record - even a screenshot of what startups you disabled? This has happened before. Most recently, AMD bundled an app called Play.tv with its driver updates which caused problems with SU.

The culprit was Nahimic which is an audio software that boosts the audio and voice performance on gaming pcs.
I never used it anyways so…goodbye Nahimic

as far as the frame rate… I get the same results with a simple cube…12 lines, 6 faces…no shading. I guess it’s normal though because I watched some Youtube videos of Sketchup and the users video looked about the same as mine

@teddrandrll Was the Nahimic application included/bundled with the Nvidia graphics card software/driver?

And/or did it come with the computer, or if custom-built, did it come with the MB or a graphic card? I noticed Nahimic is offered by MSI…

Just wanted to say thanks. Had the same problem on an MSI laptop with Nvidia 970M graphics. I was running fine on the integrated Intel card, but after a crash I saw it was recommended to force the high performance card to be selected. I did this and then then Sketchup would only load toolbars/menu, but the work area would be blank and the program would go to “Not Responding.” Frustrating!

I disabled the Nahimic software and… Prang!… all fixed. Thanks again!