SketchUp runs slowly

Hi. I have a problem with the smooth running of the program. I recently changed all my PC hardware. I have now:

  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900X processor, 3.8GHz, 64 MB, BOX
  • MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Ventus GP OC 8GB GDDR6 graphics card
    -2x Patriot Viper 4 memory, DDR4, 16 GB, 3200MHz, CL16.
    I also changed Sketchup to the newest one. The system (Win 10) was the same. Do models have the right to walk slowly on such equipment? Before, I had:
  • Intel Core i7-6700, 3.4GHz processor
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5
  • Kingston HyperX, DDR4, 16 GB (2x8GB).
    What can I do to increase the program’s performance? Thanks in advance for ideas :).

You omitted important information: How heavy is the model file that feels slow to you?
When the edge/face count, including components, runs into millions, zooming and orbiting become very noticeably slower, whatever the computer hardware.

SketchUp, like all 3D modellers, is a very CPU-intensive single threaded application. I compared the Passmark results of the puny i7 processor in my new ultrabook and your AMD one, and while in total yours scores more than 4 times more than mine, their single thread performances are very near each other, mine only about 10% slower.

See for example:
https://sites.google.com/site/sketchupsage/faster

Be particularly careful using models from the 3D Warehouse for ‘entourage’. They are often grossly over-detailed, with very high edge counts, far too many segments in arcs and circles, and may use large textures.

And when modelling, work in Face Style/Monochrome, using a simple Style, with Profile edges turned off for faster redraws when zooming or orbiting.

Hide what you don’t need to see while modelling, by turning off visibility layers/tags.

Using such techniques, and reasonably powerful hardware, you can work on models with millions of edges, tens of thousands of component instances, and model file sizes in hundreds of MB.

Thanks for the answer. The files weigh up to 700MB. I try to make components, clean unnecessary elements and turn off the display of shadows. But the fact is, the models I download are heavy.

Thanks for the link to the page - these solutions apply.
But I did not use the solution with a monochrome texture, I will definitely try it out. Thanks

700MB sounds massive, what’s the poly/component/face count on those models? What size are the textures?

Tried cleaning them up with Material Resizer, CleanUp or Skimp?

If you are getting a lot of models from the 3D Warehouse, and they are overdetailed, then you may need to simplify and/or redraw them.

Or be more selective and choose lighter weight models.

Here’s a post I wrote some time ago that might help you.