Hi,

I have Build a new high end PC.

Specs:

• CPU: AMD Rayzen 9 3900X 12 Core Processor 3.8GHz
  • Memory: 16 GB
  • GPU: GForce RTX 2070 Super
  • 512 NVMe SSD

and using SU 2020

When I go to handle some models, it gets laggy. Please check the attached model. It is also laggy. File size 17.1MB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vGfQUoxt82QTp6IIrOzJ6yWC6yW3XB6T/view?usp=sharing

SU recognizes my GPU

Image 7

I was working on keeping the .skp file in the C: drive.

I have tried:

• Updating drivers
  • Updating windows
  • Making sure SU is using the correct GPU
  • Change performance mode on GPU
  • Reinstall/Repair SU
  • window - preferences - Open GL and it recognize the card
  • Changed settings >> 3D settings - manage 3D settings - global settings tab -
    to “high-performance Nvidia processor”
  • Changed Settings >> program settings tab - SU 2018 from the drop-down list - “high-performance Nvidia processor”
  • Edited “PrivatePreferences.json” file and checked, deleting both sections from “Extensions: {“
  • Purged Unused
  • Changed the Autosave settings and checked.

I am really stuck here.

Does anyone have any good ideas on what I can try or do?

Please help me.

Thank you.
Asanka

Check my Task Manager

Image 8

Image 9

How many edges and faces in your model (components included)? When the count is in millions, it will be slow whatever the hardware.
Can you try a lower Antialiasing setting (in Window menu>Preferences>OpenGL)?
Does turning off Profiles and Shadows help? Can you hide high-poly components?

I just started wondering about AMD processors. Yesterday someone reported the same kind of slowness, and that the model ran faster in an older Intel computer.

1 Like

You can also optimize how SketchUp & Layout is run by your machine. See my post here on this. I’ve found that this helps a little, but it won’t perform miracles though.

1 Like

Hi Anssi,

Thanks for replying…

It had no edges and faces because I have grouped everything. But I exploded everything and there were

1837437 edges and
1042465 faces and Now even more laggy

Image 11

The thing is when I am exploding the model it is very laggy but I opened another model while exploding and I can Work with it without any lag. I think SU is not using my full capacity per one window.

I tried it but still the lag is same.
Tried it for 2x and 0x and my default is 2x

Usually I switched off Shadow. It helped me a bit.

Switched off the PROFILES. It removed the lag for a considerable amount. But not the all lag.

I hid the curtains and lights. Then the model came back to normal. Thanks for the help.

But, That’s mean that I can’t do a huge work with this machine right??? :slightly_frowning_face: :slightly_frowning_face: :slightly_frowning_face:

Thank you so much for the help.

Hi Julian_Smith,

Thanks for replying…

I will try them all and leave an update.

Thanks

No need to explode to see the face/edge count. Just check the “Show nested components” box. Better keep your model organized. Deep component nesting does make the model run slower, but using only raw geometry will create a mess.

Typical. 3D plants, upholstered furniture, people and cars are typical resource hogs. Check what you download from the 3D Warehouse before using it, especially if you need many copies.
Not long ago someone posted a model of a block of flats with similar lag problems. When I examined the model I found that 90% of all the edges and faces in the model were in a small patch of ivy on the wall.

1 Like

Thank you so much…

I didn’t know about the “Show nested components” box.

Image 12

Yes! I have to organize all the things as you described. Thank you for your kind help…!!!

My Statistics Probe extension available at SketchUcation can tell you exactly what is contributing those edges to the model.

2 Likes