Sketchup Pro 2018 Crashing after clicking Start Using Sketchup

crash
bug
sketchuppro

I have Sketchup Pro 2018 installed on Windows 10, 64-bit.

I installed 2017 last winter and had no problems with it. I upgraded to 2018 shortly after it was released and experienced a couple minor bugs. Now, however, Sketchup will load the start screen but crash shortly after clicking the “Start Using Sketchup” button. This happens regardless of whether I try to open the application empty or open a Sketchup file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My Pro support just ran out a couple weeks ago, and I need to get some drawings out to a client ASAP.

Thanks,
Chris

any error messages?

the 3 common reasons are:

1.) incompatible graphics card driver, i.e. OpenGL support not compliant => update
2.) incompatible plugins/extensions => udpate/disable
3.) Win: wrong or missing prerequisites (= MS runtime libraries) => install SU again by “r-click > Run as Admin” or install the libs manually one by one (point #5).

Sketchup 2017 is functioning fine on my computer, I discovered. I would really like to get 2018 up and running, however.

How might I go about disabling my plugins if I can’t get the application to load in the first place?

you can start SU from the command line with a \DisableRubyAPI flag…

or rename the Plugins folder…

there are threads explaining both methods here somewhere…

john

Just reinstalled it. Lost all my extensions, but it is working again.

Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.