SketchUp is suddenly very slow

Well, SketchUp 2017 Make hasn’t changed in several years so it’s not SketchUp to blame. Could be some component(s) in your model or textures or your graphics drivers or maybe some extension you installed.

I recently upgraded my laptop (which was a gaming laptop) to the fastest one I could get (i9-9900k w/GTX2080) and I once in a while, get some anomalies within my projects, despite them being much less complicated. I could hypothesize that one of the reasons for performance issues is the usage of gaming cards as opposed to production cards. I did a lot of research on this before purchasing my new laptop and found that it’s hard to strike a balance between the two (gaming vs. production) if you have a need to do both on one machine. Production cards to a much better job with 3D modelling but not so great in the gaming arena and vice versa can hold true for gaming cards. I do get a bit better performance from the RTX card than I did with the 1080 (before it gave me problems), when it comes to rendering with VRay, and I do know that Chaos Groups working to optimize VRay for the RTX, but in general, for SU, it boils down to ‘best practices’ when modelling. I while back, I started to work harder at ‘solid modelling’, ensuring that everything I modeled were solids, making it easier for SU to process and display, as opposed to orphaned surfaces and stray lines, which i do know can tax the system.

2 Likes

Agreed, maybe something was wrong with the project. I started again from scratch and wasn’t able to replicate the bug. I guess it’s these days again. Thanks for help.

If I may, I’ve come across some anomalous activity with models in SU, that I’ve gone as far as to creating a blank SU file and importing the offending model into it (which of course has become a singular component), and then slowly and meticulously picking out parts, and manually auditing them to ensure a proper build. It may take a while, but ultimately, I’ve seen dramatic reduction in file size and much better stability. This could help in your case, and if your model is rather complex, you could follow the same procedure, but just pick a section of that model, audit it and clean it up, save what you have and then create another new blank SU model, import the original again, pick out a new section, audit…wash, rinse and repeat.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I’m new to the forum and I’m and IT guy not a designer.
We are experiencing some issues with SketchUp Pro 2019 on a Fujitsu CELSIUS J550/2 with a Intel Xeon E3-1275 v6 16 Gb RAM SSD 240 Gb and a Nvidia Quadro P1000.
It’s very slow on opening a 236 Mb .skp.
What can I do since my knowledge of SketchUp is hear-say…
Many thanks in advance.

I’m guessing the culprit could also be:
View menu: Shadows off / shadows on.
For me, that’s the difference between beautiful fluid motion and a clunky unusable model that lags 10 seconds behind what I do with the mouse.