Well, I’ve checked that each separate level saved into a new file, opens quickly (3-4sec) and has no problem orbiting, zooming, opening any number of levels of components for editing (almost instant per level), changing from Camera/Parllel projection ot Perspective or vice versa, or saving (9 or 10 secs per file).
I opened all of the levels at once in SU, then opened each window in turn starting from the highest numbered level (64). I then selected all, then pasted in place into a new drawing - copy was almost instant, and paste took about 6 seconds for beach ball to stop, then another 3-4 sec to display in the new file. Saved the growing file after each addition of another level - around 9 sec for the first level only, slowly growing to around 20 sec when half done.
Tried opening component browser, but that WAS slow … over a minute before I got tired waiting and switched to starting this post. But it had finished when I looked back, and the model takes about 10 sec to display when switching windows in SU.
Carrying on adding levels…
Things ARE slowing down, but steadily, not erratically. Changing a component’s name in Entity Info, for example, with the Component Browser now closed again, takes several seconds, but it is almost instant to select and display another Entity Info window for a component.
Pasting another layer in place is slowing down a little - 6 secs to stop beachball, and another 10 sec now to display it but still not running away in timing, just a slow increase.
Adding Level 55 seemed to mark a bigger slowdown, but still not excessive - paste time up to about 25 sec in total.
Switching back from Chrome browser window in the forum to the SU window with the growing model is now taking longer, but still only about 20sec.
With only two levels to go, orbiting is getting very slow again, and something is interfering with typing this post - the text display stutters behind my typing.
And switching between this forum window, or between SU windows, is getting slower to - around 25 sec now. And everything else is slowing down too.
As the levels are symmetrical and mirrored, I’m starting to try to delete one half of each level, without losing anything that’s in only one half of the whole level (there are inconsistencies, so I have to be careful).
That’s going very slowly, and getting slower.
Watching the Activity Monitor, I can see that SU is maxing out the CPU, not as I thought probable, writing to disk.
CPU usage for SU is getting over 100% (100.2% !!) with almost all other processes each accounting for much less than 1% each, except for a couple of others at around 2-3%.
Memory usage is well below half of the installed memory.
The Kernel Task is using a steady 2-2.5GB, SU just below 2GB.
EVERYTHING in SU is now getting VERY slow again. I’m going to have to split the model in half, re-enable Plugins, and restart SU.
I’ll then split each half of the Levels into N and S halves, checking I’m not losing anything, once I have the Mirror plugin back in operation - it’s too tedious to copy and flip, or Scale x -1.