What is wrong with my computer?

So I have a computer that I build about 2 years ago. I feel like it is strong PC and has some fair specs, but I am not to sure. Anyways, I have been running programs like CAD, Sketch up, Photoshop, Illustrator, and rendering programs (PODIUM). My PC will lag severely when I work in sketch-up. To clarify I mean it says not responding every time I try to move an object, save, move an object to another layer (which sometimes I can’t because I don’t have enough time to select the layer I wish to place it on. So in between clicks I wait about 5-10 mins even longer at times. Given this does not happen right away. It generally happens when I start to bring in trees and cars from Podiums browser.
I was told upgrading my graphics card to the K2200 Quadro would be the way to go. So I just purchase and installed the graphics card; however, sketch up is still slow.
what is going on? There is something I am clearly missing!

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Workstation Card: NVIDIA Quadro K2200 Graphics Card ‑ 4 GB GDDR5 ‑ 128‑bit
Power supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W

If more info is needed please ask.

If you bring in a lot of full 3D entourage elements, nothing you can do to your computer hardware can stop SketchUp from running slow. Your previous graphics card ought to be quite enough for running SketchUp. I prefer Intel processors but it might be my prejudice.

Anssi

CPU isn’t the fastest, 8019 Passmark points with 8 cores = ~1000/core

SU doesn’t use multiple kernels, a high-clocked intel Core i7-4790k (or better) with ~11000 Passmark points and 4 kernels (= 2800/core) would nearly triple the performance.

nVidia Geforce GTX is fine, nVidia Quadro (or AMD FirePro) doesn’t help (btw, who told you this?).

to work with your recent system, put the high poly count components on a separate layer and make this layer hidden during modeling.

I have posted on several sites and reddit, gaia online and other sites that have several tech savvy users. I mean I usually resolve most of my pc problems with these sites. I am sure there are better ones and I guess I should have gone here first.

I can still return the quadro graphics card and get a mobo that is compatible with intel if this will seriously help a lot. And I do have my trees and cars and people on separate layers to turn off when modeling.It is when I want to choose my scenes to render that I turn them on and it takes forever to make 1 scene roughly 30- 45 mins to save 1 scene. On top of that I do not add any materials until the end and I like to have my layers on so I can see the material.

Now, if I go buy a an intel CPU I will have to change my mobo (which means I would return the graphics card) and I am fine with doing that if Sketch up won’t be so slow. Is there a mobo and intel CPU combo that you’d recommend?

@sketch3d_de’s point wasn’t so much that Intel is vastly better than AMD (regardless of whether that is true) as that a CPU with the fastest possible single-core performance will benefit SketchUp whereas speed obtained by multiple cores will not.

…What is a mobo?

Nevermind…found it…motherboard…

And my point is that usually you can avoid using high-poly cars and trees and use, for instance, simple 2D face-me components instead, especially for more faraway areas. A couple of high-poly components in the foreground will not hurt, but it is not feasible to build a forest of tree components that have 3D leaves attached to 3D branches attached to a3D stem, or a traffic jam out of the sports cars converted from 3D Studio models and loaded to the 3D Warehouse.

Anssi

2 Likes

So feom what i understand my computer rig is fine. I never needed the quadro and that if i choose to use 3d materials rather than having a layer just for all my trees on site i should specifiy the trees locations like trees parking lot or trees for playgrpund 1 etc.

Any time SketchUp starts to get sluggish, take a look at Window->Model Info->Statistics and see if you have an excessive number of any kind of geometry, be it edges, faces, components, or groups. The more it has to display, the more work SU has to do and the slower it becomes. With a complex enough model you can overwhelm any computer.

So what is considered a lot? And how come rendering programs like podium and others have their own browers you can purchase and end up being almost useless? Wouldn’t they make them so they dont use a lot of memory. Like in the professional world i know they use a variety of programs but when you purchase a service shouldnt it help you get through your work faster?

You can do several things to chip away at your speed issues which are covered here https://sites.google.com/site/sketchupsage/faster.

Yes I have seen this website and I have read it. I just would like someone to confirm my thoughts.
I do not need the Quadro K2200 my Geforce GTX 760 is good enough. I should just follow the advice on the sketch up sage. I should have several layers. So I can turn them off when I am modeling and when I want a scene. I should just turn on the layers that would be displayed in that area. Or at least that is what I am understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong.
From what I getting from here is the Quadro is a waste of $440 and I should return it and keep my original rig and in my future projects focus on maintaining my layers and components. And basically follow sages guidelines.

but will this speed reduce my lag?

@omoini, Yes, please use the best practices suggested in the replies.

It’s not just components and layer control - do things like use the least resource-hogging Style, like disable profiles. There’s some videos too.

SketchUp Help Center : Improving Performance

I have a file over 87 000 mb and size about 60x40 m. When zoom all it takes long time. I have now newest Sketchup trial version 2016 and it takes so long time that I have stopped and closed program by version 2015 it takes long time but I am able to open file and move around. When zoomed to small area and save file in version 2015, it works better and you can move around in version 2016. I have even managed to make video, where whole area is shown even scenes are filed before I can see them textured. I have a lot of textures (275 trees and flowers rather small see timoko) and when I show them, 2016 program starts sometimes to go them though again and again and then only way is to close program and open again. I have HP/Amd win 7/ 2 displays. I have thought to buy new computer, but if reason is program and not display adapter, then I must consider that as new one is more than 1000 euros

How many faces and edges?(Window menu>Model Info>Statistics>Show nested components)

Any SketchUp model where the face/edge count goes into millions will behave more or less sluggishly, whatever the computer hardware.

Anssi

Use scene for zoom affects and the time delay goes to almost zero but that is not a orbit/ zoom approach=> it’s zoom to specific view.
Post your model if you can unless you have concerns of proprietary info. You have a better chance of getting specific answers or you will have to more or less struggle on a step by step basis.
The 87 MB exceeds forum size limit so you will have to upload to a file sharing site and the post url here so it can be found.

If you have good computer with best /good display adapter, you can try smaller file of my model, which is almost impossible to wait and zoom all by 2016 version. I have deleted some elements in order to get model small enough for warehouse.
If model can be zoomed all in your computer, I can consider new computer.

Name of model is Rowhouse-P and size is 49039 KB (timoko models in warehouse).

Maybe I should use more components in my models to get them respond faster?

BR. Timo