What is wrong with my computer?

That model has almost 11M polygons! It chokes my computer too.

Hi folks.

Create a scene with these settings:

1 - No shadow

2 - No textures or even hidden line or even wireframe

3 - No profiles

4 - No fancy edges.

5 - As much layers off as possible with these layers containing as much geometry as possible.

Make sure that this scene do not memorize the camera settings.

This scene will be used for navigating the model with Orbit, Pan and Zoom.

Make another scene with the settings that you require for modelling.

Make another scene with the settings that you like for rendering.

Name each scene as you see fit (Navigating, Modelling and Rendering, for example).

Click on the Navigation scene to get where you want. Then click on the required one depending on what you want (Modelling or Rendering).

BTW, you wrote that your file is 87000 Megs. This means 87 Gigs ???, quite huge. I presume that you mean 87 Megs.

The size is not as important as the amount of geometry in the model. A simple cube component duplicated a million time will produce a file of a few Megs but may bring even a fast computer to a crawl since a million cubes equal to 6 millions faces and 12 millions edges.

Just ideas.

Jean

For things like trees, you may consider Skatter. It places repetitive entities like vegetation as proxies that only show up when you render. Great way to keep a model quick to work on.

I am curious about resources consuming in your windows task manager when your SketchUp running. It probably not SketchUp problem, but windows problem. Some program running background might interfere with SketchUp. I think your specs is quite good.

other applications or tasks do typically not interfere w/ SU because running on their own CPU kernel, the single core performance of the AMD CPU referenced in the intial post is the limiting bottleneck.

SU - as allmost all 3D modelers - does run modeling operations on 1 kernel only and therefore doesn’t profit from mutiple kernels …besides not being required to share the kernel w/ other programs as with single core CPUs in those days.

ThomThom has a plugin called Called material tool. As experiments using that I deleted all your materials in your model and model size drop form 48 MB to abut 16 MB. However the slowness is still there which I think is caused by you improper use of layers and using a model technique making it every difficult to make correction=> making a number of entities and not naming them so one has to use outliner try find what things are for example tress etc. You have some layers shown but, as designed trying to hide say tress does nothing! You must first assign each of the tress to the trees layer and to do that one has to use the outliner ( since you did not name them when they were made), select each item at a time to find it to then assign to layer ( You can do that as group but they are all named the same thing!). I am not going to do that for you since I have better things to do but you need to learn how to use layers!

The use of components reduces file size on disk and makes the model easier to manage but performance-wise it doesn’t offer any benefit. A face or an edge requires the same amount of processing whether inside a component or not. Using deeply nested components (like a tree consisting of branch components consisting of small branch components consisting of stem and leaf components etc) actually even reduces performance as SketchUp has to iterate through all the complexity, while it can have quite a big effect in reducing file size.

Anssi

I have not had time to read all posts so sorry if I am repeating.
Did you try putting your trees cars etc (high poly pretty stuff) on a layer and creating a scene to turn it off? You should be able to navigate a lot faster with the layer off. I agree with everything annsi says.
BTW there is a tutorial on Youtube from basecamp at google that deals with this problem. It was 6 or 8 years ago.
try googling “large models basecamp youtube”
I hope that helps.

That video does not show how to use scenes to navigate. See the post jean_lemire_1 did above for you and follow that.

Here is the link, it has many good tips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnhkei2dSrY.
Andrew what I was thinking a different link but does cover your comment also. Sorry:(