Sketchup is now begining to charge for FREE models that people uploaded!?

Dave, it is pretty simple. Sketch up represented itself as a free sharing platform, people started modeling things and uploaded for free. now sketchup has started to charge for downloading these free models. it is like ‘wage theft’ because they are making money (even a cent) from free labour of other people.

Also any child who is little familiar with the market and how it works, would understand that the 100 download will soon change, maybe it will take a year or so.( remind you that all these online providing platforms, like Spotify, , dropbox, amazon, scribs, … were all free when they started. )

lastly , obviously this is not about me, I only download from Sketchup when I need a model of a historical building or something in that nature, I’m more a rhino guy, and my job is architecture not selling 3d models in shady websites .
I think the whole thing is very straighforward and obvious to anyone who is not bias :slight_smile:

I think everyone needs to chill out. I tried with 4 different gmail accounts to get that message to pop up. Only after switching browsers did I get it to pop up once and only for a few seconds.

My guess is that this was a planned change that hasn’t rolled out yet, or was killed and is for some reason popping up randomly for people.

Or, if the intent IS to limit uploads and downloads I really don’t see the big deal, especially for free users. I’ve worked on some pretty warehouse heavy projects over the years and if we downloaded 100 models in a month I’d be surprised.

Also, limiting access to 3D warehouse in a way that would prevent users from using it doesn’t make any more sense than it does to take away access to the push pull tool for free users. Both tools are really what makes SketchUp, well SketchUp. What better way to get people use Free and upgrade when they need to. People wouldn’t want upgrade if they couldn’t use some of the essential tools.

Perhaps @peter_saal or @Mark could weigh in?

3 Likes

I would disagree. I think one of the main reasons is to distinguish between ‘free’ hobby use and professional.
Someway, somehow, it looks as if SketchUp will never get rid of Google’s inheritance.

better call saul @TheGuz

been watching Netfl.x, haven’t you?

2 Likes

:laughing: why I am not surprised… Cool Trimble SketchUp !

Yes, some folks where using it to create Blender content to sell.
We can’t have that.

No, it hasn’t. All models on 3D Warehouse are free to download.

Highly unlikely it’s a revenue stream in any meaningful way. Do you really think someone would subscribe just to download more than 1,000 models a month?

Exactly. You aren’t downloading more than 100 per day, or 1,000 models per month.

1 Like

Here is the probably typical procedure for a download: Open 3D Warehouse, search and browse models, select a model, download it, view and clean up the model and place it in the model, discard the model if necessary and search for a better one, …

All in all, this will take 3-4 minutes, with 100 possible models per day, this alone takes almost 6 hours. You really have the impression that this is not enough for a hobby usage?

Thousands of models a day is not a serious amount and suggests that this is not used for the actual purpose, I think everyone will benefit (speed, …) if such processes are stopped.

2 Likes

nobody pays anything to download a model.

how much would you pay for hosting your model?

2 Likes

I cannot think of a single hobby usage that I’ve seen that would require downloading of this many models, so it seems like this would be in-line with SketchUp Free’s licensing requirements, and therefore, a non-issue.

Very odd thing to be angry about…

What hobby usage requires downloading over 100 models a day, or over 1000 in a month?

13 Likes

monospaced,
I don’t know what your ties with sketchup is, a quick look at the profile of people’s responding here shows that they are mostly connected, so maybe no point in arguing, but I just write this for others who read this:

if you put a limit on the access to somebody’s else property (these models are not your property, you didn’t sit down and modeled the 800,000 models here), and ask people to pay you to gain unlimited access to it (in your language to subscribe to you), this is selling other people’s labour without their consensus. it is called “wage theft” .

*Also please don’t tell me its because some are selling these models elsewhere, first of all these are not your property so none of your business, second if you are so worried about it, then why selling the unlimited access as a privilege . just put a limit of 100 download for everyone, subscribers included. anyone who is selling these models, they probably have sketchup pro anyway.

now I’m sure this is a simple thing to understand, unless that one doesn’t really want to.

sincerely,
Sketchup free user

I’ll step in as a Trimble Person (we’re not Google and haven’t been for 8 years now) to just point out some issues or explain things here to some degree:

• This is a message to Free Users, that’s why many aren’t seeing the message
  • The 3D Warehouse is an online Free repository, we never said we were charging anyone to download your models
  • We’re restricting the download capacity so a free user can’t visit 3D Warehouse and walk way carte blanche with as much of the freely uploaded content as they want… this actually protects EVERYONE from those that would take hard created models to be given or sold elsewhere.
  • We never said we would continue to reduce the number of files that could be downloaded, that is conjecture.

I encourage everyone to base your reactions or opinions on the stated facts, it does nobody any good to make grand assumptions about the intent. Dave already called it… in the second post, this is a safety measure.

8 Likes

I’m with you Justin, I dont understand why anybody would need to download so many models, particularly in one day!

3 Likes

As 3d warehouse content creators, wouldn’t we be notified about this?

I can’t speak for the 3DW team, but… it shouldn’t affect the modelers directly. If there were a feeling that your data was compromised we would definitely let you know.

2 Likes

I’ve just posted a message here: Download Limits on 3D Warehouse

2 Likes

…but a SketchUp subscriber can continue to download huge numbers of models? Why allow that?

3 Likes

Now that unlimited downloads from the 3D Warehouse are behind a paywall, isn’t SketchUp selling copyrighted textures? Many textures have strict licenses. Too many unnecessary rules…

I think they could’ve claimed fair use for hosting the textures before it went behind a paywall, but I’m pretty sure fair use doesn’t apply to commercial use.

1 Like

It’s not behind a paywall, in the worst case scenario, you could experience some delay when downloading, albeit that, even when I did grab a lot from the Warehouse, I can’t imagine to have exceeded that amount.
Please read the TOS about textures, they are not selling those, in fact, the new rules are there to protect the uploads from getting distributed elsewhere.

3 Likes

Isn’t the 101st model you download behind a paywall?

1 Like