Sketchup for Schools stopped working

For the past week we cannot log into Sketchup for Schools. I’m a Google Admin and it’s added to our Google Workspace Education Fundamentals (it’s been there for years) platform. Not sure what the issue is, but I’m getting the error

In order to access, ensure that:

You are using a G Suite for Education account.
Your G Suite administrator has installed SketchUp for Schools on your domain and granted permissions.
For any questions, please reach out to us on the SketchUp for Schools Forum.

I’ve removed and re-added it to our domain and it states there is an extra step to complete the install, which asks me to go to this site, SketchUp For Schools TOS | SketchUp

There is a bunch of licensing information on that site, but there is no button or link to approve, install, nothing. It’s the end of the school year and we have students that cannot complete their projects, because they can no longer access the site.

What is the point of a forum if no one monitors it. We did nothing on our end and it just stopped working. We have students right in the middle of projects. This is extremely frustrating to have no phone or email for communication. Instead we get a forum where no one from the company even responds.

@CaseyG is this something you can look at?

Thank you Aaron and please @CaseyG the teacher is really, really, not happy about this. To have it just cut out right at the end of the year when they need to complete their projects is very frustrating.

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with SketchUp @DianeN. We have not changed anything on our end as far as I am aware so I am not sure what the cause of the issue is but I will ping the rest of the team as soon as they are in the office and see if I can find a solution for you. In the meantime, we can start the basic troubleshooting steps and verify you are in our database just to make sure that you are not running into any firewall issues on our end.

First off, can you link me the website for your school and let me know what domain the students are using? I will manually add it to the approval database to make sure that is not the issue going forward.

Additionally, clearing the cache and cookies are the first troubleshooting steps we usually run through to make sure we are working with fresh files as we try and debug the issue so it would be helpful if you could clear that out just to be on the safe side.

Finally, it might sound a little weird but sometimes the display settings get messed up in the computer’s settings and the button is just not visible as the window cuts it off. I am sure you probably already tried it but can you try zooming out your browser to make sure that is not the issue?

Once you have all of that taken care of we can move on to the next steps as soon as I hear back from the team.

Good Morning Casey,

Thank you…I’ve responded below. We changed nothing and it just stopped working a couple of weeks ago.

Best,

Diane

Our school’s website is: https://www.internationalsf.org/. The students are on the @internationalsf.org domain, which is a subdomain of @frenchamericansf.org. If you go to frenchamericansf.org you will see it redirects to the school’s website.

We are an educational domain
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 9.55.40 AM.png

We’ve done nothing on our end with the installation in our domain. I tried to remove and reinstall it and ran into issues with that as well. I wrote about that in my other posting.

I uninstall it

I add it back in with an Admin install

Make sure it’s available for everyone
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 10.02.33 AM.png

I select the option to complete the additional setup

It then brings me to this website, https://www.sketchup.com/edu-tos where there is nothing to click, nothing to complete. I love that the agreement page has a link to view the current agreement and it’s a link to the same page that it’s posted on…when I look back at the Admin Console everything looks just like before I removed/readded and it still doesn’t work and still doesn’t see us as an educational institution.

Changes to Agreement. From time to time, Trimble may modify this Agreement. Trimble will use reasonable efforts to notify Institution of the changes through communications via Institution’s account, email or other means. Institution may be required to click to accept or otherwise agree to the modified Agreement before continuing to use the Service. The then-current version of this Agreement can be accessed and viewed at any time at https://www.sketchup.com/edu-tos.

Hi again @DianeN, I have spent the last few days troubleshooting everything on our end to make sure that everything is good to go. Can you give it one last try now that the fix has potentially been rolled out? If we still can’t get things to work, I’ll talk to the team to set up a support call with you ASAP.

Hi @CaseyG I’m still getting the error message below on both our @frenchamericansf.org and @internationalsf.org domain. However, as I wasn’t able to complete the steps when it was installed should I try removing and installing it on the domain again?

It looks like you’re having trouble signing in. Make sure you’ve enabled pop-up windows for SketchUp, then complete sign in using the pop-up window that appears.

Please note: SketchUp for Schools is once again available for educational use only. Don’t worry, any projects that you may have created through your personal Gmail or Microsoft account can still be downloaded from your Google Drive or One Drive. To continue sketching, please log in with an EDU domain account.

In order to access, ensure that:

1. You are using a G Suite for Education account.
  2. Your G Suite administrator has installed SketchUp for Schools on your domain and granted permissions.

For any questions, please reach out to us on the SketchUp for Schools Forum.

Just checking back. I noticed today that it just tries to load, but never does. No error message, but not loading now.

@CaseyG @TheOnlyAaron we are still having the same issue that I posted about on 5/31.

Is anyone going to help with this problem. It worked and then 2 weeks before school ended it stopped working. I am EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED that it’s been 25 days since I responded to let you know we were still having issues and there is still no response and nothing is working.

Is there any other way to get support or are we only getting this forum because its a free platform?

Thanks…Diane

1 Like

DianeN, Just so you know you are not alone, my school sees exactly the same issue. I can’t wait for Sketchup to start working.

Please go through this again SketchUp for Schools Login Changes for G Suite Users , please make sure that pop ups are enabled

That was checked and it is NOT the issue. It would be great if we could actually receive some support.

That posting is from 2020. Everything worked until 2 weeks before school ended in 2023. That has nothing to do with pop-ups. I’ve received almost zero support, our students couldn’t complete their final projects because of the issue.

As you are a SketchUp Team Member it would be great if you could post how to actually connect with a human at Sketchup for Schools vs using this forum. Over 2 months and still not working.

If no pop-ups blocker or web filter, please go through these steps:

See more solutions under

I’m sorry that this has been a longstanding issue for you @DianeN. To make sure that I’ve seen all of your updates, could you confirm that the following is accurate? This will help us narrow down our focus.

1. This login issue is affecting all of your users across both of your domains and across all devices.
  2. You’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app according to the deployment instructions.
  3. The error message that you see upon login remains unchanged, displaying an “Are you in the right place” message.

Yes to all 3 of the items you’ve listed. If you look way up at the top of the original post I’ve listed everything I have done, that includes removing and reinstalling it as an Admin. As I mentioned before when it gets to the step where you have to complete the additional setup it just goes in a CIRCLE…there is nothing to click to agree to.

" It then brings me to this website, https://www.sketchup.com/edu-tos where there is nothing to click, nothing to complete. I love that the agreement page has a link to view the current agreement and it’s a link to the same page that it’s posted on…when I look back at the Admin Console everything looks just like before I removed/readded and it still doesn’t work and still doesn’t see us as an educational institution.

Changes to Agreement. From time to time, Trimble may modify this Agreement. Trimble will use reasonable efforts to notify Institution of the changes through communications via Institution’s account, email or other means. Institution may be required to click to accept or otherwise agree to the modified Agreement before continuing to use the Service. The then-current version of this Agreement can be accessed and viewed at any time at https://www.sketchup.com/edu-tos ."

There are no pop-ups for the “additional step”, but there is a pop-up to use your Google account when users from either domain try to sign in and when they do try to use their school issued Google account we get the original error message that I wrote about saying that we are not an educational institution.