Sketchup failed to open document error

Hi,

A few days ago I made changes to an existing file, gave it a new name, saved it, all as normal. When I tried to open it today I receive the error message ‘Failed to Open Document’. I’m running SketchUp 2021 with latest V-ray.

Tried to find a solution but nothing current and I didn’t have time to muck around looking for more, so spent the last 4 hours making the same changes. Deleted unused components, ran a clean up (both SketchUp Purge function and CleanUp3. Saved it (again with a different name, and have a back up) etc. All seemed fine and was time to render… but… The Vray asset editor would open so I restarted SketchUp.

And it happened again! This is insane. I’ve done the following:

• Renamed the files - still same error
  • Moved the files to another drive and renamed them - still same error
  • Tried opening the SKB file - still same error
  • Tried importing both SKP and SKB files into a new file. This causes a bug splat crash
  • So far its only happening on this file

Does anyone have any other ideas? Please help. I can’t face making these changes again only to have the same error message.

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue. Did you find a fix?

I’m not sure why nobody replied to the message in November. Do you have a file you can upload somewhere for me to try?

I had the same issue but no error message and no “Bug Splat”. When opening the file, the model would appear but prior to populating the toolbars, the file just closed. This would occur at irregular intervals and I could not find a cause.

I updated Windows and my Nvidia driver. That appears to have solved the issue.

Yes, finally got a resolution. It happens when files are very large and SketchUp 2021 freaks out. Doing the latest software upgrade fixes the issue. Needs to be updated to version 21.0.391. Refer their release notes SketchUp Desktop 2021.0.1 | SketchUp Help " * Fixed an issue that would prevent certain large files from being opened when saved in SketchUp 2021.". Running this upgrade fixed the issue for me.

Also, I’m now using proxy files via V-ray for my large elements and this has improved the workflow of the files. If you use V-ray this tutorial is helpful https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yTzdjQmSUA0yMIf30F_wjAnu6FDhMjsL/view.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bec

1 Like

this is mine, please check it if you can. https://we.tl/t-2UBbrVPU5D I wasn’t able to upload the file here.

can u help me here plz https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchu-failed-to-open-document/182512?u=nadaabbas132

Hi,

If you look in your folder, you probably have another file with the same name. Always have 2 files with the same name as backup.

You have to right click and choose “rename”. But you just delete the last word “.skp” and write “.skp” again.

Probably, it works.

right click on your file open properties then go to previses version and click on restore, its not full recovery but its help a lot, thank you.

I had the same problem. I was using Sketchup 2021 version. I solved the problem as follows. I downloaded the latest version from Sketchup’s official site. As a trial version. Then I opened my file with the latest version and saved it again.

Hi , can you help me with the same?

I couldn’t recover the file. I will ask a developer to look at the file.

Thank you. The main file for that is saying “This does not appear to be a sketchup model”

That file is almost all zeros. It isn’t a valid file of any kind.

I found the backup file, but whenever I change the extension, it’s still error. Is there a way I can retrieve it?

I could look at the backup file as well. I haven’t heard from the developer looking at your first file yet.

Hi @colin ,

Hello, @colin

I am having the same problem and am not able to open certain files for some unknown reason. Several days ago, this wasn’t an issue. I updated the graphics card driver, uninstalled all sketchup programs and re-installed them, shut down and restarted computer, tried opening back up files, and nothing works. I cannot access a decent amount of files that we need to keep our construction company running smoothly so I hope I can get this fixed soon.
I tried to upload several files but it wouldn’t work so I attached them as links. The smaller file (Kief) that I can open and a larger file that I cannot open. The “larger” file (Adrian Kaeb) is definitely NOT a large file so I’m puzzled as to why this is happening. I can open another file that is about twice the size as the Adrian file but doesn’t have any textures so I don’t think file size is the concern but maybe textures. ??

Thanks,
Evan

Adrian Kaeb:Adrian Kaeb house model.skp - Google Drive

Kief: Kief model.skp - Google Drive

I don’t have any problems with your files. The bigger one does have 46 materials in it, 43 of which are not being used. Purging those brings the file down to 255k.

Adrian Kaeb house model.skp (248.8 KB)

Colin,

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the file you attached and saved it in the same folder as the other one and can open it just fine. I still cannot open the old file. Would you have any idea of why this might be happening? That file was combined with several other projects and I just didn’t spend the time to clean things up. All files are stored on Google Drive. There may be some connectivity issues but I can’t figure out why I’m able to open some but not others.

Can you open this one? Kaeding new home model.skp - Google Drive