SketchUp Crash after installing Space Mouse

I’ve just purchased a Spacemouse Compact and tried installing it today.

Unfortunately after installing 3DConnexion software, SketchUp (tested on 17,18, & 20) won’t start it just gives me a bug splat.

What I tried to fix it?

1. Updated my graphics card with no fix. (Intel UHD Graphics 620)
  2. Uninstalled 3DConnexion and all versions of SketchUp now work.
  3. Reinstalled using an older version (10.6.8) and starting SketchUp crashes again.
  4. Removed the 3DConnexion extension from the plugins folder and SketchUp starts without a problem.
  5. Tried loading the extension while SketchUp was running and it immediately crashed.

What else can I try other than sending the mouse back?

1 Like

I don’t know what the answer is, I’m afraid, but I do know that getting a SM to work nicely with SU can be a trial. I know because it happened to me, though it was a memory leak problem which may be quite different to what you have experienced. Also, I am on a Mac so, you know, Apples and pears…

The problem I identified seemed to be to do wit he installation process. When you install the SM, it seems to expect, like ET, to be able to “phone home”. Trouble is, modern security gatekeeping often prevents that from happening. I had to disable my firewall before installation and remember to close it again afterwards. Should it be like this? No. Is it likely to change anytime soon? No. So we poor saps have to find our own solutions. What I will say is that it is well worth persevering if you find a workaround.

1 Like

I installed it on my laptop and it worked fine. I’ll try installing again with my firewall off and see what happens.

If it works, do remember to register my post as the solution, please.

Unfortunately that did not make a difference. I installed it successfully on two other machines in my network without a problem, so I don’t think my connection is the problem. If I had to make an educated guess I would put the graphics card under suspicion.

you surely use the latest 3DConnexion driver version 10.6.9 f. Windows from 27.07.2020.

Yes. I even tried installing the next older version 10.6.8 just to see if that changes anything but it still crashed.

restart Windows and try if launching the 3DxWare setup routine (EXE) by “Right Click > Run as Admin” helps.

I may have a related problem/solution. I’ve found that if I manipulate the space mouse in any way before Sketchup is 100% loading itself and all the extensions, I instantly get a crash.

If I leave it alone until after that point, it works quite well.

As a software developer myself I’ve already tried all the easy stuff. I know restarting the computer usually takes care of 90% of all issues lol :slight_smile:

And I’ve tried it with my hand off of the thing, as well as trying it with the mouse unplugged. In all cases SketchUp crashes as soon as the 3DxSketchUp.rb extension tries to load (see my first post).

And yes the mouse itself actually works beautifully in the trainer program.

1 Like

Your experience is something like mine with the My Radar app. If I try to open My Radar
and open another app at the same time, My Radar instantly crashes.

Might there be a conflict with another extension? Have you tried disabling your other ones?

No it’s not that. I just thought of something that may be an issue. I have two monitors one is a 4K with 175% scaling, and the other is 100% scale. I like the setup for developing because is turns up many display issues while that are normally not present.

I just checked with a single monitor set to 100% (of course rebooting in between changes) and SketchUp still crashed.

I sent the diagnostic logs to 3DConnexion so hopefully they can figure it out. So far they have been decently responsive via email.

It could be that your graphic card is on the edge running 2020 and throwing in the connexion is too much for it.

I did have the same results with 2017 Make, and 2018 Pro.

2 Likes

If I may (and thank you @Box for bringing me to this post), I needed to test an older version of Thea Render with a previous version of SU. I discovered that my SU18 would freeze upon launch and or crash. I did the whole plugin removal thing and isolated that it was the 3DxSketchUp.rb and file that was creating the issue. I removed it from the plugins folder and placed it in the roaming SU plugin folder… and it still crashed. However, it wasn’t crashing in SU19 or 20 where it was working fine.

For some reason, today… no matter what plugin folder I use for SU 2018, it crashes with the 3DxSketchUp.

So, I went through the SU versions I have. These tests are on PC win7 machine. Here’s the results:

SU2020 - works
SU2019 - works
SU2018 - Uninstalled, mouse works partially (no pan or zoom) - Installed, CRASH
SU2017 - works
SU2016 - works
SU2015 - Uninstalled, mouse works partially (no pan or zoom) - Installed, CRASH
SU2014 - works
SU2013 - INSTALLED OR NOT mouse works partially (no pan or zoom)
SU8 - INSTALLED OR NOT mouse works partially (no pan or zoom)
SU7 - INSTALLED OR NOT mouse works partially (no pan or zoom)

Based on a suggestion by Box about render plugins sometimes/perhaps being an issue, I removed them, rebooted PC and still the 3Dx plugin didn’t work. I’ve now removed it from SU18 until someone else finds a possible solution.

you could try an older driver version (W10: v10.6.4/10.6.3) from their driver archive too.

If the Bug Splat shows again, click on “View Report Details…” and save locally which leads iirc to 3 files, one of them being a hex dump but also a log file with human readable information sometimes providing a hint when it turns the wrong direction.

I tried all the versions available on the website. (I don’t have SketchUp 19 installed on this computer)

1. SketchUp 2020 Bug splat on on start
  2. SketchUp 2018 Bug splat on on start
  3. SketchUp 2017 Bug splat on on start
  4. SketchUp 2016 Bug splat on on start

4. SketchUp 2016 Works fine!!

1. SketchUp 2020 Installer does not install extension - no space mouse navigation