SketchUp Campus: General Feedback

I just watched the Live (with one ear as I worked). But I thought I could use Lives to illustrate a few of the ways my feedback could be implemented.

So, first with either a Live (which are like cool/freeform skill builders) or smaller more focused skill builders (e.g., ‘Draw a House from a Floor Plan’, ‘Using Push-Pull’) to the specific steps of making Live Components (like the great thread by John McClenahan @john_mcclenahan ), breaking down the content into bite-sized pieces is the basic format I think could work.

An example of what I mean is that each video could be broken down into shorter clips and inserted into a scrolling ‘lesson’ page. Let’s say a first video might be of 1 General principles of using Creator (from John’s Thread, linked below). There would be some text description, possibly some images, and then a short video showing how something, like “Creating a Node” is done. Let’s say there is a “Creating a Parameter Node” vid, then a “Creating a Geometry Node” vid and so on as limited set of new skills is presented. After ‘section’ (still on the lesson page) is completed, there’s a “mark complete” button. I think this is simple but very helpful way to present information.

Even more far-reaching tutorials could benefit. For example, Jack Shellington’s House, is a spectator sport for me because I don’t know enough/am not fast enough to keep up. But short video clips from that video in a follow-along format… that even I could do!

The SketchUp Campus videos are good and have a similar format. But -if I recall- some of the videos are ~10± mins long, so there’s more of a ‘pause the video’ kind of interaction vs. a step by step feel.

A Dashboard might have a ‘pick up where you left off’ feature and track various lessons.

Anyway, that’s kind of the gist of what I’m suggesting.

Oh - and I see John has added a download at the beginning of his tutorial. He’s good!
Getting started with Trimble Creator to make a Live Component - Technical Problems / Live Components & Trimble Creator - SketchUp Community

1 Like