Track announcement: SketchUp for Landscape and Site Design

Hey SketchUp community! We’ve just launched the latest track in SketchUp Campus and this one is aimed directly at you professionals. SketchUp for Landscape Architecture & Site Design was built by a professional landscape designer and deals with complex modeling challenges such as terrain and grading, imported references and heavy vegetation — and even suggestions for how to collaborate on a large model across your entire team.

Courses include:

1. Creating a Base Model
  2. Terrain & Grading
  3. Materials & Textures
  4. Furnishings & Entourage
  5. Working with Vegetation
  6. Context Modeling
  7. Optimization, Collaboration & Revisions

If you’ve used SketchUp for any length of time, you’ve likely come up against the challenges of working with a site model, and now we’ve got an in-depth guide for you. Take these courses at your own pace and on your schedule. Have a look now.

13 Likes

https://blog.sketchup.com/article/new-course-alert-landscape-site-design-available-sketchup-campus

Check out our Blog post that went live today for more details regarding the course outcomes. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi there!

During the section of Hardscape Grading where the narration stops, how do you calculate the heights of the extended vertices on the curves?

Shaun

Hi @sdowse197. Good question. There’s no science to this step. I just estimate the heights based off of the location relative to the top or bottom of the slope. See below for example. If the height difference is 1 foot, and the end of the curve is about mid-way up the slope, then I enter 0.5’ for the height. Then 0.25’ for the height of the curve midpoint. Then draw arc and line using those verticals to snap to.

Alternatively, it may be easier, especially if you have a lot of curves, to use the Sandbox-Drape method instead. See below where I just connect the top and bottom with lines. Then sandbox. Then copy the flat plane up above the new sandboxed slope and drape to form the outline of my sloped path. Then group and delete the extra bits you don’t need and that’s it. This method may be less accurate, though faster, as it assumes a straight slope all the way whereas the previous method gives you specific control of where you exact elevations are along the path.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Hey Eric,

Thanks so much for your prompt response. Your answer was so incredibly detailed and relevant. It’s really helped me…

Your lessons are terrific. I’m still working my way through the Landscape & Site Design track. It’s really enjoyable and I’m really increasing in speed and confidence…

Shaun

1 Like

No problem. Glad you’re getting something out of it. Feel free to post any other questions as they arise.