Sketchup 2023 Pro issues and flaws

It is the cutting objects that are triggering the issue. Do you export cut lists from the model, where you do need those holes to exist? I will do a test to see if the model opens with those objects set not to cut, and also if I cut the holes myself.

we have these components that we drop into the models to save us a lot of modelling time. It also has layer states to allow us to show and hide info.

_0000 2022 Components.skp (8.0 MB)

These are our latest cutting components and seem to open Okay in 23

I looked at your old cutting cylinders, and they seemed to be 3/16 x 1/12, and had 100 segments in them. I tried replacing them with a 48 segment cylinder, but didn’t catch them all, so still had problems

It looks like these new ones are 24 or 30 segments. If that is accurate enough to get you by, we will fix the underlying issue to go in the next update we do.

Thank you for that. Yes that is accurate enough.

Im glad it has highlighted something that can be fixed

Why should the user have to do ANYTHING to make the software work properly?

2 Likes

They should not.

But the reality is that despite decades of trying, nobody has ever come up with a programming system that can absolutely assure code is free of bugs. And equally, despite careful testing there are always particular use cases that sneak by testers. This specific bug might seem blatant enough that it should have been caught, but none of us users know what might be going on behind the scenes to cause it or how much effort might be required to fix it.

So, we sometimes have to resort to workarounds while waiting for a bug to be fixed after it is discovered. SketchUp is not unique in this regard.

4 Likes

Same problems at our office. Very disappointing and certainly also that Trimble still does not offer a solution for this.

TAG TOOL NOT FULLY WORKING

The “sample tag” function of the tag tool isn’t working after I just installed SU2023. Usually, even if all tag folders are collapsed, it expands folders and selects the tag I would sample. BIG time saver. I’ve grown used to this feature in SU2022 and is a huge bummer, as I uninstalled '22 because I’ve had trouble in the past with trying to uninstall previous versions after installing the current software. I should have read through this forum first before updating…I just figured April would be late enough after the new release that most bugs would have been worked out. This bug alone is enough that I never would have updated.

Time to re-download SU2022.

1 Like

Did you install SketchUp by right-clicking on the downloaded folder and selecting “Run As Administrator”? The SEARCH function in the tags folder works as intended.

@RLGL I installed SU2023 that way, and I just re-downloaded SU2022 and installed that way as well.

I’d also like to add, there is a problem with layer management. If an object is placed on a layer, it is near impossible to change it to another layer. Even when exploding it, select everything, select a new layer, it still stays on the previous layer. The only fix to this is to delete the original layer and send to “unassigned”

No need to just create a tag folder for the multiple tags.

This should not be the case. It sounds perhaps like you have the raw geometry inside your groups or components assigned to a tag other than untaged, which is an improper workflow that leads to much confusion and trouble. Only groups or components should be tagged. Upload your .skp file so we can see whats going in. Changing the assigned tag of an object should be trivial.

Not sure this statement really makes sense? Any user can surely screw up any software via their input. I know that’s not the case with the specifics we are discussing, but User input is absolutely crucial to the successful use of all software.

1 Like

This sort of defeats the ability to do whatever I want. I realize I can create groups, but that’s not what I wanted.

This happened when I imported ACAD data. There is linework on said layer on the import. In the past, and previous versions of SketchUp, it was incredibly simple to collapse those imported layers to unassigned, and then place the grouped import on whatever layer I like, regardless of it it were 2D or 3D. I’m saying that This has proven to be buggy in this version.

can you upload a file that shows this behavior? I’m not aware of any changes to how tags work in 23. If you are importing a CAD file it’s possible that the raw geometry inside the groups is tagged as well, which is incorrect but happens in the conversion. In that case, selecting a group and retagging it with untagged will not change the tag of the raw geometry within. This is normal behavior and has been for many versions. Just trying to get to the bottom of what tag behavior you are actually experiencing. I don’t see this problem of objects to change layers as you describe it.

Looks like I just figured this out. You don’t need a specific file for it. So, what’s actually causing the error is the layer tool bar. When trying to use the drop down tool bar to assign something as “untagged” it will not work. It will remain on whatever layer it was on. However, if you select the object and then go to entity info in your tray, and change it there to “untagged” then it will work. So, I suppose only part of what I was saying is buggy.

Hi guys, I can open Sketchup 2023 and open files from within that (or drag and drop files into it, but clicking on an SKP file will not open in sketchup. Sketchup doesn’t show under the default apps, so I chose by file type, chose the .exe file, but it still pops back up with “choose an app to open with.” If I open Properties it says Opens with “unknown application.”
I’ve run the install repair and it doesn’t seem to help. If i type sketchup in my Windows Start panel it shows as an app, but still refuses to show as an app for me to chose from when opening…

When you installed, did you do so as an administrator?