Sketchup 2023 Pro issues and flaws

Yes definitely, i already re-installed it to check i ran as administrator

The energy spent asking this question in case of problems should have prompted Trimble developers long ago to show a warning screen when running the installer:

STOP Did you run the program as administrator? If not, stop the installation and follow the above note. Otherwise, program errors will occur.

I even let them copy and paste the above text. I will not ask for royalties. Even such a simple thing canā€™t be settled once and for all?

Weird! Sounds like a permissions thing, but I will have to defer to our windows using members to see if they have any ideas.

Pretty sure youā€™re not the first to think of that. :laughing:

Possibly the install program should be a .MSI instead of a .EXE

Try this

Lol, I learned all installs of software should be installed as administrator. Itā€™s not just a SU thing.

1 Like

One thing I learned as a software developer is that the installer can be built in a way that forces it to be run as administrator.

https://jrsoftware.org/ishelp/index.php?topic=setup_privilegesrequired

2 Likes

Remember the good not-so-old days, when Microsoft thought it was being helpful by making half the installable apps ever created require the user to fool around with the Troubleshoot Compatibility tool?

1 Like

Remember the good ole days when there were no ā€œappsā€. They were relegated to something you ordered at a bar when you were hungry.

2 Likes

That would be nice, but obviously poses issues on servers with multiple users.

Iā€™m too lazy to type ā€œapplicationsā€ all the time, and young people mock me when I call them ā€œprogramsā€.

1 Like

Why?

If the user has admin rights all that should be required is accepting the UAC. Otherwise they should be able to select an admin account and enter the password for that account. In fact the result is the same as if a user would have clicked on the installer and chosen to run as administrator. It just happens automatically by default.

1 Like

Oh dear god are you suggesting that it just works!!!

In my experience that has been the case. I donā€™t have experience with millions of users though so I could be wrong.

1 Like

Most larger firms do not give admin rights to all users on a network.

Nobody ought to. Seriously.

1 Like

Most companies do not grant permission to install programs to ordinary users. The company is responsible for what is on their discs. In many serious companies, even USB ports are blocked.

Agreement. But those who worked in serious companies or had their own know this. A normal owner will not allow an employee to install what he wants. I used to work in a company where if you wanted to hear your own music you had to bring the original CD. no mp3s! In the event of an inspection, the company is responsible for what is in the offices and computers.

Be it a megacorp or your home network, nobody but the admin ought to have admin/root level privileges.

1 Like