Sketchup 2023 Bug Regarding Floating Trays on a Second Monitor

So by way of an update;

1. I have the floating trays and toolbars in SU working pretty much the way have have in the past.
  2. In SU, the preferences dialog box opens, but cannot be found. Need help with that.
  3. Same (almost) for LO with the exception that the width of the Scrapbook (in a separate tray) needs to be dragged to the correct width upon reopening the app.
  4. In LO, the placement of floating trays is very jerky and not in ‘realtime’, requiring many attempt at lining things up. YES, very OCDC of me.
  5. How this was achieved - Stopped running my Mons at 4k. New resolution is 1920x1080 with scaling at 100%. Deleted all non W10 video drivers. Multiple restarts. New Nvidia driver released today (531.29).
  6. I see this as not a solution but a work-around as it compromised the ‘crispness’ of screen text in some apps.
  7. Will I now migrate to SU2023? Only after a sys-backup so restore is possible.
  8. I still maintain that SU should be able to be customised manually as the UserDockLayout.xml file that saves the current workspace is super buggy.

oh that’s a pretty common windows problem on multi screen it appears.
you could try this. it’s a bit of a gettho fix, basically it allows you to move the pref panel that is hiding outside of the limit of your screen.

I had the same when using two extra screens on my laptop, fixed it once, never had the issue again

1 Like

Thanks very much [ateliernab]. Worked perfectly.

Further update;
I have W11 operating on the same PC. Have installed SU2023, current Nvidia driver, etc. SU trays/toolbars work much better, but LO tray are still jerky and display artifacts on other screens while moving. So, I’m sticking with W10 & SU2022 for now.

Have you done System>Display>Graphics for Layout ?

Actually No. I added SU but neglected to add LO. Done now. That has made moving them easier and with less static. Thanks for the reminder.

Can confirm that System > Display > Graphics, and adding Sketchup 2023 to the list and setting it for High Performance does not resolve the issue for me.

All 3 monitors are currently running off of my NVIDIA RTX 3070 Ti GPU (No onboard graphics). Attached is my DXDiag with just the video devices listed, if you think I need more, I can include the Sound and Input/USB/Disk devices.

DxDiag.txt (60.7 KB)

Updated my drivers a second time, GeForce Game Ready Driver 531.29 does not resolve.

Thus far, the only difference between my main monitor where Sketchup loads, and my second monitor where the tray loads, is my refresh rate (Main monitor has 165Hz refresh, second monitor has 144Hz refresh rate). Setting both monitors to the same refresh rate does not resolve.

Anything else come to mind?

Edit: Also, just wanted to confirm that updating to the latest version of Sketchup 2023 didn’t resolve, so no fixes for this implemented yet.

Sketchup Pro 2023
Windows 10 Pro version 21H2, OS Build 19044.2604
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 3.70 GHz
64 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
Monitor 1: AORUS FI27Q-P 2560 x 1440 (100% Scaling)
Monitor 2: AOC CQ27G1 2560 x 1440 (100% Scaling)
Monitor 3: Acer Nitro KG241Y 1920 x 1080 (100% Scaling) (I don’t use this one, but I have tried loading the tray from this monitor as a test, same results).

I am experiencing the same issue with trays not loading properly. I seems to be worse on secondary monitors. I have 3.

Similary, those trays are constantly unresponsive. I cannot collapse a tag folder or rename a tag. I just sits there.

Please help, sketchup!!!

Same problem here… Trays on second monitor freeze or do not refresh properly after awhile. Docking them to Sketchup window makes them working back again.

Win11, Sketchup 23.0.367

Can I ask?

Seems like 91% of all the responses in the this thread are PC. Anyone on Mac having this issue as well?

edit: I did make up that percentage on the spot.

Trays are different on Mac you can have them separated, on windows there’s a window that contains all the trays, this glitch is happening to some people inside the tray window. There’s no tray window on Mac

no

we’ve had our lot or bugs with our panels (what you call trays are composed of individual panels) for years, but it’s more to do with macOS deciding to kick a panel on an other screen because there is not enough space on the main one.
Capture d’écran 2023-05-08 à 10.06.09

like this, if I were to save / quit and restart, the softening panel would probably be kicked on the next screen, since mac os likes its windows to open in a fully visible manner.

But no tray = no tray bug.

1 Like

On windows, the trays can be separated.

So the one thing I have always struggled with is now a good thing on the Mac? Nice!

It’s just different, the glitch some people are having is probably a gpu driver issue. On Mac you don’t have to worry about installing the latest drivers, when you update your os all the drivers are updated as well.

It is not this simple. Users have tried updating the discrete GPU driver without success.

It is a combination of the Qt GUI framework, and displays at differing resolutions or display scaling; and perhaps one of the displays running on the integrated GPU rather than the discrete GPU.

Somewhere, I think it was Colin, who said that there is a bug in Qt 5.x and they are hoping to update to Qt 6 soon when it is fixed.

I myself have not yet encountered this bug, but because of other GUI bugs I changed my internal display to have the same resolution and display scaling as the external display that SketchUp runs on. SketchUp seems to work best this way (on Windows) with the version of Qt that it’s currently using.

Yeah and just a heads up I can confirm the issue has nothing to do with scaling or different resolutions.

Both my monitors are at 100 percent scaling, 2560x1440. All are now on display port after upgrading to a 4070 Ti with up to date drivers. Removing my single monitor that’s at 1920x1080 does not change results (3 monitors total all on display port).

At this point I’m pretty confident the issue is on Sketchup’s end and am just waiting to see if the next framework update fixes.

1 Like

Adding myself to this thread. I just downloaded 2023 and immediately started having problems similar to those described. Resizing the trays does seem to help.

I’m not a tech guru and I immediately get lost in the talk of drivers, graphics cards, etc. Does anyone know if Trimble is working on this issue? And is the simplest way of dealing with it to go back to 2022?

They mailed me saying that they’re working on it and that it will be solved in the next maintenance release. For me the bug while switching scenes is more annoying…:frowning:

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.