SketchUp 2020: Materials Not being colourized, or colourizing incorrectly

I have a bunch of materials I had made, none of which are working properly in 2020, in 2019 they work perfectly. No matter which material I choose it only paints the texture image, and neglects to colourize the material. If I manually select colourize, it colours it an incorrect colour. Most times it appears as lighter than the colour showing on the colour wheel, other times it is an entirely different colour.

All materials show up like this one - this one is supposed to be black. When I click ā€œcolorizeā€ nothing happenedā€¦And if I move the slider, it turns PINK!

Any idea what is going on or how to solve it?

1 Like

try editing the ā€˜In Modelā€™ material rather than the in library oneā€¦

john

That doesnā€™t do anything different - it still acts the same.

Same problem here, which affects everyone at my company. This is a pretty big issue as of course presenting reasonably accurate renderings and screenshots to customers is important to business.

I copied all my materials from the 2019 Materials folder into the 2020 Materials folder. Our custom materials with our specific .jpg texture are completely wonky, with no seeming relation to what the color should be. Clicking around the color wheel and trying all sorts of things (including ā€œcolorizeā€ which we have never had to touch before) only seems to change the tint of the material slightly.

Anyone else know whatā€™s going on or how to fix this?

1 Like

UPDATE! Got my colors to work.

After some more testing, all I need to do is apply each material to a surface in my model once, (even if it is not on that surface when I save), and exit.

That is:

1. Take a single square surface.
  2. Take turns using paint bucket to paint it every one of your custom materials, one right after the other, to the same square. Ignore how they look.
  3. Save that file.
  4. Re-open the file and test. All of your materials should now work and look as expected when applied to a material.

UPDATE 2:
The above works, but Iā€™m still having to do it for every new sketchup model I create. I thought maybe it would be a global fix but seems like not. So itā€™s still annoying to be in the middle of working on a model, apply a (previously not used this session) material, and have to save/exit/re-open to get it to appear correctly.

UPDATE 3:
@#$()%^&(!$&%$ After using the above process, all was well, and I could apply my custom materials-with-textures to surfaces, with all of my materials available and looking good.
HOWEVER, I purged my model (Window>Model Info>Statistics>ā€œPurged Unusedā€) and the effing problem returned! My materials are still in my material list like normal, but any materials not currently applied to a surface are back to their stupid greyed-out colors when I try to use them.

Yes, I can work around this by save/exit/re-open but itā€™s annoying and just illustrates one of the big reasons we as a company always try to hold off on ā€œupgradingā€ whenever a new version is released.

Iā€™m having this problem too and it would be really good if they could fix it.

MY SOLUTION:
In the mean time for others who are having these issues following on from jimmys solution what i have done is created a pelette object with a square for each of my materials, then i have added this object to a hidden layer in my template file (which i use as the basis for all my projects) so now every new file will already have those textures in it and they would be working correctlyā€¦ unfortunately this means that every single file i create will have every single texture in itā€¦ so it has over doubled the size of my template file.

Hope that helps and hope they fix it soon.

1 Like

I am having the same problem and was wondering if anyone has any new info. for this topic?

Thanks

Can you share a .skp file that shows this problem? Also show us a screen shot of what you see in the file.

Dave, it happens with every file for me. Itā€™s not file related as I can tell, it has something to do with the Mac build. I also canā€™t edit any material without it turning gray. Itā€™s infuriating.

I was replying to Ryan whose profile says he is using Windows. Never mind, though. Iā€™ll leave it in your capable hands.

My apologies!

Iā€™ve always had strange behaviours with the colorize function, even crashes, no matter which SketchUp version. I just stopped using it !
Just curious, any of you impacted users has vray installed ?

Iā€™ve never had any problems with it. Although I have Vray I usually donā€™t have it loading when I open SketchUp.

So we wonā€™t really be able to tell if vray interferes in some way. Iā€™m not of a great help either, as vray isnā€™t installed anymore and, as I said, I donā€™t use this function anymore :confused:

Here is the site plan for a project I just completed. I am having trouble getting the concrete materials to match. The driveway, approach and sidewalks show the default concrete material and the patio shows our company concrete material. When I go to change the default material to our company concrete material it wonā€™t let me.

Site Plan_4512 Aldrin Aveā€¦skp (14.2 MB)

Screenshot

of the concrete material difference.

What is the name of your company concrete material? Is it in the model? Iā€™m not having any problem replacing the concrete texture with another one.

Is this what you are trying to do?
ezgif-2-728e5d53e37b

Iā€™ve got to go but I expect Ben can help you if you need more help.

[Concrete Aggregate Smoke]2 is the color I am going after. I am not approaching the material change as you show it. I go to through the edit tab and use ā€œmatch color of object in modelā€ or enter the group and use match paint.

For whatever reason after purging the model so I could upload it to the forum I am now able to change the material. I will find another drawing where this is happening and upload it.

You have the small group on the right painted with the [Concrete Aggregate Smoke]3 material but that doesnā€™t show, as deep inside the nested groups the actual surface is painted with [Concrete Aggregate Smoke]2. So If you sample the group with the material sampler you get [Concrete Aggregate Smoke]3.

The groups on the left, on the contrary, have the default material, but the faces inside are painted with [Concrete Aggregate Smoke]3, so painting the group itself doesnā€™t make any difference.

I am not sure if I could make myself clear enoughā€¦

Here is a screenshot showing a material problem with the siding. The siding should be a beige color but instead it showing up as gray.