SketchUp 2018 Wish List

You should try our Layers Organizer plugin, which allows for grouping and sorting and other stuff.

I agree with point one (without considering your other points).
If not modified in plain vanilla - Layers Organizer plugin puts a safeguard in so that moving from layer 0 is not accidentally paosible.

Some wishes I have:

• advanced rendering styles, which handle real-time reflections, soft shadows, procedural skies with clouds etc
  • rendering styles with support of 360 degree panoramic images as a background
  • interactive orbitable model views support in documents exported from LayOut to PDF (interactive model views with support of mentioned above advanced rendering styles obviously)
  • ability to export current scene from SketchUp to a 360 degree panoramic raster image
  • some tool to match a model view with a 360 degree panoramic image (or maybe enhanced version of an existing photomatch tool, which would be capable of it)
  • report generation right inside of LayOut (ability to feed LayOut table object with report results so table becomes linked and automatically updated to meet changes in a model)

Not sure if all my wishes will come true in 2018 though.

I think this is a very good idea, and, while lots can be done with extensions by others, this is appropriate for the SU team as a core application issue.

You should try our extension until layer grouping becomes core.

Sketchup Layout or Sketchup dont have 2D architecture icon symbols like Door, windows, stairs,etc. Autocad or other software has the inbuilt icon. But sketchup do not have that icon symbols. If sketchup has inbuilt no need to pay for other software and export import.

SketchUp is a 3D modeling program. You’ve been around long enough to know that.

There’s a 3D Warehouse full of architectural symbols. Absolutely no need to clutter the program file with them.

1 Like

SketchUp is a 3D modeler, not 2D, so it is not likely to add those symbols. But it could make sense to add them to the standard set of “Scrapbooks” in LayOut - which is 2D. Of course, you can do so by creating your own Scrapbooks.

1 Like

I am not sure is it right subject, but rotation tool in SketchUp 2015 was more user-friendly. When i used “align to face” option with rotation tool, “protractor icon” moved together with cursor to rotation point. Like here

rotation

In Sketchup 2017 “protractor icon” stays on aligned face.

Use Arrow Down key instead of Shift key for the old behavior.

Have you tried the other options for alignment such as the cursor keys and aligning the tool to the center of rotation? No reference face needed for either of those options.
rot

What if I want to rotate something to non perpendicular faces? (I have to setup axes and then use arrows?)

rotation01

Not necessarily. You could set a guideline along the desired center of rotation. Or use the down arrow key like Eneroth indicated.

In nearly 15 years of using SketchUp I don’t think I’ve ever needed to move the model axes in order to get something done.

1 Like

I think this could be a part of the SU solid tools. First of all they could be dynamic, and allow hidden and nested components/groups to perform the boolean operations also.

Another really useful feature would be a setting for solids that they always substract intersecting solids (and an option that the solid doesn’t recieve these substractions). This would allow for example movable window/door components where you have nested a hidden solid that cuts the hole through the whole wall structure for the window without the sills and glazing being cut.

1 Like

Unless I’m misunderstanding you, I’ve been able to do this with hotkeys. I rely on x-ray and component isolate a lot so I turned those into hotkeys (X and O, respectively, since I never use the Orbit hotkey), and then use those extensively to toggle settings on and off.

If i edit a component, and have “hide rest of model” checked, then the rest of trh emodel dissappears. I dont want it to disspapear, i just want it to go into Xray mode or some other style (eg hidden line).

Instead of “hide rest of model”, if i simply adjust the fade slider then the model becomes faded -, not Xray.

If i use Xray mode, then the entire model becomes X ray but so does the component that I’m editing -but that’s the part I want to stay looking normal.

Is there another step to your process that I’m missing?

Solid tools might do it, unless the bit you want to isolate (eg two walls) are not connected as a solid.
If we had to make our walls solid for this function to work then I suppose it would still be an improvement on what we have now.

No, I misunderstood you I think; you were saying you want to be able to create a different visibility state inside a group/component than outside it? That would be useful; I also wish there were a visibility state where you could show only objects in the immediately containing group rather than all on/all off. (Or better yet if the level of “embedded groups on/off” was something the user could set.)

1 Like

Better DWG import support, again.

Like the levels in the generate report.
A slider which would regulate the visibility of the levels e.g. 2-3

1 Like