SketchUp 2016 Wish list

After SketchUp 2015 release, I want to take a moment to say “BIG” thank you for x64 support to a SketchUp Team.
For SketchUp 2015 I did a long list, for SketchUp 2016 I think it is better to keep the program simple but provide a good core functionality and features.
So I reduced my wish list to a minimum… well almost )

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS / FEATURES

1. TeamWork / Xref - is essential for any office based work
    I know there is an option to use components, but common it is not really useable for commercial projects with team of 10 people. Or it is not flexible.
  2. Basic building elements - (Walls, Slabs, Curtain Walls, Roofs, Windows/Doors) with use of Dynamic Components, so user can edit individual elements and create custom elements.
  3. Faster Nicer Viewport - nicer texture representation, nicer anti-aliasing, soft shadows, smooth navigation, better fog and light. So there is no almost no need for external renderer
  4. Components to cut through walls / two faces - for creating windows and doors
  5. Real indestructible curves - even if curve was exploded you still have an option to find tangents or centre

OSX

Please give some love to a OSX version of SketchUP.

1. Material List
  2. Better UI - Please update the UI to fit Apple UI guidelines (Flat design)
    Take a look at Pixelmator - the team make a great job
  3. Full Screen - Why it is still not here? Even Blender has it.
  4. Total area of material in Material Browser - Like in Windows

WILL BE GOOD TO HAVE

1. Line Types - like you have in Layout, All Layout library to SketchUp (Lines, Fills, Scrapbook)
  2. Layout and SketchUp Layers Sync - or option to export DWG from Layout with SketchUp layers.
  3. Faster Nicer Viewport - nicer texture representation, nicer anti-aliasing, soft shadows, smooth navigation, better fog and light. So there is no almost no need for external renderer

Cheers,

16 Likes

ye different colored lines

2 Likes

Hi artpen, thanks for the comments. While we’re of course only just beginning the work on SU2016, I wonder if you have had a chance to try out the new integration with Trimble Connect? Using the Trimble Connect for SketchUp extension, available for free today on Extension Warehouse, we have in fact implemented a simple teamwork/Xref capability in SketchUp. It is a brand new service, but aimed squarely at your first feature request.

john

3 Likes
  • getting rid of Camera Clipping Plane (Clipping & missing faces)
  • option to place construction lines/points automatically on a separate/designated layer
1 Like

Hi John, can these references be displayed in LayOut?
I mean, if I create a SketchUp file using xref, these xrefs are going to be displayed in Layout, aren’t they?
Greetings

The integration is entirely within SketchUp- models referenced from Connect will appear as normal SketchUp models in LayOut.

john

1 Like

That’s great! Thank you so much! :smiley: :smiley:

SUN SKY AND GROUND ! please :smile:

i think you’ll have to be a little more specific/clear because, depending on how you read that, most of it is already available in sketchup.

2 Likes

Sun in sketchup ? Enlight me please…maybe i’m wrong…

Components in LayOut- please!

The power to globally change a note/ graphic would be awesomely time-saving.

3 Likes

Window → Shadows ?

Thats ok but blue sky,visible sun, birds flying across screen and hills in background is diferent story…That would make sketchup best 3d program…

oh… i see.
basically something like lumion except built into sketchup itself?

yeah, that’d be sweet… +1

yes lumion and sketchup combined :smiley:
I made profile just to say this xDD

2 Likes

Please, solve the scaling problems!!
When working with very small models there are always problems, like not being able to close faces, solid tools not working properly, etc.

2 Likes

there have always been ways to deal with that but now, with 3D printing gaining in popularity and sketchup marketing towards 3d printing, seems like it’d be a good time to actually solve the issue instead of needing workarounds…

(since most 3D prints are small objects… often with faces needing to be smaller than what’s acceptable in sketchup)

1 Like

The basic reason for the scaling issue is floating point arithmetic, which will always be there. But maybe now that SU is 64-bit it might be possible to revisit the threshold?

surely it’s preventable?.. or, other modeling applications don’t have the problem nor did they when still 32bit… (well, a floating point problem will still show itself when drawing super far from the origin… the small way though- doesn’t seem to be an issue)

Several years ago one of the SU developers mentioned they went as small as they could as going smaller would dramatically increase the odds of breaking something else. Though there have been notable breakthroughs over the years, like the extension for the shadow string bug and adding BreakEdges.

Temporarily scaling up for modeling operations isn’t so horrid. Especially considering you can make your small-scale model a component, place a copy of that model off to the side and scale up the copy. Do all the modeling on the over-sized copy. The main advantage is two-fold: you don’t have to remember how you scaled it and the original model can remain undisturbed among other elements in the model space.

3 Likes