SketchUp 2018 will not recognize License Number

I have recently had to reinstall SketchUp Pro 2018 after Windows crashed on my desktop after a power outage.
After re-installation SketchUp kept on stating the it could not could not connect to the internet. I put a query out on SketchUCation and was told to change the i18n.dat file OnLine Check entry to “sketchup.com” which solved connection problem.
I then proceeded to try and add my license, only to get the response that it did not appear to be a valid SketchUp License.
I contacted Trimble Technical and the provided a new license and authorization number. Twice in fact and the same thing has happened
The last 2 emails from Trimble are quoted below.
Thanks for your reply.

SketchUp Pro 2018 is no longer supported and we don’t offer an official download. The SketchUp Pro 2018 credentials I provided were generated yesterday and our records show that the license has been activate by you. Can you try typing in the credentials instead of copy/paste?

Please reply to this email if you need further assistance with this specific issue.

Regards,
Kevin
The SketchUp Team at Trimble Inc

Thread Id **** [ ref:_00D4081l2._5008Z1rGuXI:ref ] **** do not delete**** Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

At this point I can directed you to our Community Forum @ http://forums.sketchup.com/ for a solution As SketchUp Pro 2018 is no longer supported and support for the license expired 11/15/2017 and I have provided a newly created license.

Please reply to this email if you need further assistance with this specific issue.

Regards,
Kevin
The SketchUp Team at Trimble Inc

I urgently need to get SketchUp running to to finalise a clients drawings.
PLEASE can someone help me.
Thank you
Mike Backler

So, did you do what was advised in the thread you linked to?

On our side of things both the original license and the new one my colleague gave you look good, and look like you have successfully activated them, the original one was activated last December, the newly created one was activated on May 12th.

My colleague thinks it was signing in issues that you were having. Is it possible that the license is working ok, and now you are having signing in problems? What are the exact problems you are seeing at this point?

Hi Colin

When I load SketchUp now, just done it, it opens up as a trial version with 12 days left. The last time I tried to add the license on 12 May, I got the message that the Serial Number and Authorization Code did not appear to be a valid SketchUp 2018 license.

When Windows crashed, SketchUp was still running and the December activated license was not deactivated. I then tried to reactivate the program, first with the old license from December and the with the 2 new ones given by Trimble.

Could there be a conflict due to the number of serial numbers used?

Regards

Mike

In the manage license screen there is a subscription tab and a classic tab. It is possible to be under the 30 day trial for subscription, and also have a classic license. If you check in the classic tab and see a license is in place, things are working. You only need to sign in if you want to use the online features, including extension warehouse, 3D Warehouse, and add location. Opening SketchUp and modeling, and saving, should work even if you are not signed in.

If in the classic tab there is no license, you would want to add the first of the two that support gave you. That one is the original December activated license, that has 371 as part of the serial number. Use the activation code that ends with d726.

If the classic tab shows there to be a problem with the license, remove the license, and add in the license I just mentioned.

There is only one license file per version of SketchUp, so I don’t think that attempting to add two different licenses should affect things, only the latest added license should stick around.

The second of the licenses sent from support should also work, but it was a different kind of license that has an expiration date, only really sent as an attempt to get things going. Using the original license with the modified authorization code would be the better option.

Hi Colin

This is what I get when I try to find any info in the License Manager

I have no idea who the reseller was

Any suggestions

Thanks

Mike

I was talking about the manage license screen inside of SketchUp. The license page you showed uses a serial number that needs the email of the previous person who used the license. You should have the authorization code I mentioned in the email from support.

Hi Colin

The only license manager that I can find in SketchUp is the one below:

I edited your post to remove the screenshot that gave everyone a look at your license.

Fortunately, something was wrong with it anyway. In an unlikely coincidence, both of your authorization codes ended in 726, and earlier I read off the wrong one.

I tested your license, and it does work, but the authorization code is the one that ends with 89726, not 1d726.

Hi Colin

I have tried the new serial no. and authorization code you have gave. Both copied and then typed in and get the same result both ways “Not a valid Skechup serial no.”

What do I do now?

Thanks

Regards

Mike

There is an unusual issue I’ve seen a few times, though that was with later versions of SketchUp. It’s worth a try. Do these steps:

1. In File Explorer, go to this folder:

C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018

1. Drag the files EW.lic and SketchUp.lic to your desktop, as a Move, not a Copy.

2. Hold down Ctrl and drag the two files back to C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018, as a Copy.

3. Try entering the license again.

If that works you can delete the copies on the desktop. If it doesn’t work, open a command prompt and type:

ipconfig -all

Let me know what the first Physical Address line says.

1 Like

Hi Colin

Moved the files, copied them back and re-entered the license details and wallah, I have a registered programme.

You’re a miracle worker.

Thank you

Regards

Mike Backler

Thanks for the report!

For your interest, I think there is a permissions issue, where trying to save the license fails for some reason. By moving the files to the desktop and copying them back, you have placed the files in the right place, but with your personal permissions. Then the license saves ok.

Hi Colin

In a weird way it makes sense, especially now the way windows works.

Thanks once again for the assistance.

Regards

Mike

Hi Colin

I am new on the forums so excuse me if this is not the right way of dealing with this. I’m having a similar issue to Mike48, rather than my machine having experienced a crash I am installing on a new machine. Tried the drag and copy drag method as mentioned above but unfortunately that hasn’t resolved the issue for my. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Fanie

A license file from an old PC won’t work on a new PC. You would need to remove the license on the new PC, then add the license details again.

I can’t find a license for you. You could message me your serial number, and I can check in case there is an updated license for you.

Hi colin,

I just re-install my sketchup pro2018 as I brought a new laptop. But seems like 2018 is not longer supported and when I add my license, it’s saying I’m offline.m, May I know how can I add my license to activate my pro2018. The reason why I still keep using pro2018 as I only got Vray 3.6 sketchup plug-in which 2018 would be the only supporting version. Anything I can do now?

I wrote this topic about the offline issue. See if this helps:

Hi Colin,

I recently switched computers to an M1 Mac. I am attempting to get everything working.

I have tried to install SketchUp 2018 and have tried all of the relevant information in this thread.

Currently, when I open SketchUp, it brings up the License tab, which reads “Licensed to: SketchUp Pro 2018 User, Expired”

When I attempt to add my license, I get the following message when using the same information that worked on my previous computer:
“That doesn’t look like a valid Serial Number and Authorization Code combination.”

Will you please help me figure out how to get this working?

Thank you in advance.

You still had support at the time that SketchUp 2019 came out, which means you have a 2019 license.

There is a chance you are adding the 2019 license that you’ve never used, and 2018 won’t see that as valid. The better option would be to install 2019, and add the 2019 license.

I will send you a direct message with the license details.